I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

16 ring, #8 tip? HELP!
Posted by: Gary Richmond (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2006 07:15PM

While reading RM Magazine, I noticed a comment on large rings for conventional casting with shock leaders as being a smart move and would love to try it. I really, REALLY hate them knots crashing through my system.
However, my tip accepts a #7 1/2 just fine (could go with an 8) but I've seen nothing offered in this size(?) with a 16 ring (lots of 10's and a few ugly 12's only).
Am I looking in the wrong places? HELP!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 16 ring, #8 tip? HELP!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2006 07:18PM

You won't find many 16 ring tops in much less than an 11/64ths tube size. So, build up the tip with thread or sleeve with a short section of scrap rod blanks to fit the top properly. Or... wrap a single foot #16 guide on as a tip-top.

Date: November 11, 2006 07:38PM

Been considering trying to re-solder a 16 ring on a tube frame. Just concerned about breaking the ring.
Maybe slowly heating / slowly cooling would work??? Don't know, just asking. Would some liners be better for this than others?
I know machining & working with ceramic, even & slow on the heat is the trick, but others?
Anyone have experience with this?

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 07:57PM

A little heat on the ring/ frame and the ring can be popped out. If you feel capable of soldering and doing the mad scientist thing to the top, by all means give it a try at least ( or just build up the blank with thread)...you can re- epoxy the ring back in place when done.

I built a rod with gold cermets for a rabid fisherman many years ago. We were both so crazy about not having a 16 ring by 10 tube that he (a machinist) Turned a tube and frame out of solid titanium bar stock. Popped a 16 ring out of a casting guide and ended up with the most insanely expensive/functional tip top EVER created!

Date: November 11, 2006 09:11PM

LOL!!!!!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 09:58PM

Scary part of this story Gary is that its true! He fabricated a 10 tube by 16 gold cermet ring out of bar stock, CNC milled etc......REALLY cool.

Scarier part of the story....he's building his own rods these days, and probablly still fishes 5 nights a week.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 03:49PM

I've been using a lot of Alconite rings lately.

Merrick lists the BMNAT tip top size 16 ring in the following tube sizes:

7.5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15

Otherwise, build up the tip with thread to the desired thickness, saturate with epoxy and let dry.
Now you can use hot melt glue to attach the tip top.

Don

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.propel.com)
Date: November 13, 2006 08:25PM

Do you really need a 16 ring? I fish the Outer Banks for drum with 20# running line, doubled and attached to a 50# shock leader. My tip-tops are no larger than 12s, and I've never had a problem with the knots fouling. The knots you tie are the key (which knots and how well you tie them), but this is not the board for that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster