I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another Rod Bond question
Posted by: Chris Means (---.hu.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 05:59PM

How do you apply this stuff?

Let's fish,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Rod Bond question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 06:04PM

Mix it up, spread it on!!!! Make sure the parts have a water break free surface per the library article above [www.rodbuilding.org] You don't need much. Just enough to thoroughly wet the surfaces

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 08:01PM

Chris,
Just like Mike said. Pretty hard to mess up. I use it all the time for everything from gluing cork rings to installing foam grips. Eyeball 50/50 mix and put it on. Great stuff. Randy.

Date: November 09, 2006 09:52PM

What about air bubbles? Also does it need to be rotated to dry? (hope that's not a dumb question)

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2006 10:21PM

Rotated? Let's make sure we're on the same page. Rod Bond is an epoxy adhesive, not a thread coating. Okay?

So, no, it doesn't need to be rotated. In fact, it was formulated to stay where you put it. It won't run out of the joints or assemblies. If you mix it by spreading it back and forth, much like you would spread peanut butter, you won't get too many bubbles in it. But even if you do, they won't have much affect on the overall bond. Make sure you coat both surfaces to be bonded with the epoxy, however.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 10:23PM

Chris,Rod Bond is an adhesive epoxy not a thread finish,therefor air bubbles are not really a concern.However when mixing use a folding motion and not a stirring motion.This will blend the parts better and not whip it into a froth.Rond bond stays where you put so no turning is required as is the case with any adhesive epoxy.

Tom types faster than me!!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2006 10:24PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Date: November 09, 2006 11:04PM

You guys are awsome!
Thanks

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: November 09, 2006 11:25PM

yup yup yup. good questions. but it'll all be readily apparent once you start using it. i use either popsicle sticks, or the wide kind like a dr's tongue depresser, or even those free packaged plastic utensils you get at some fast food joints. a plastic butter knife works great for me, with the folding action for mixing.

for application, i also use a plastic butter knife for large areas, often times incorporating a flat tothpick(s) for the smaller areas which need rodbond. plenty of paper towels around for cleanup while and after working. latex gloves worn during mixing and application helps a lot.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: November 10, 2006 01:20AM

Whoo hoo! I just finished the butt section. That was fun and easy. Chris Karp might be happy to know my eyes weren't harmed at all measuring it, I used a small kitchen scale to be as accurate as I could.
Thanks again.

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2006 09:04AM

Chris, A quick word about mixing adhesives. Rod Bond and most other adhesives marketed for general public use are not mixed by a weight to weight ratio. Instead they use a volmetric ratio of 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 or whatever. These two ratios, weight to weight and volmetric, are not the same and for the most part not compatable with each other. With Rod Bond I use plactic end caps of the same size and fill each one with equal amounts of either part A or part B. Then I spread the contents of each end cap on a flat piece of foil and fold the two together to mix.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2006 10:02AM

And, the other nice thing about rod bond is that you don't have to be exact on measuring amounts.

For small amounts, I just scoop out globs of equal size and mix. For larger amounts, I fill 2 mixing cups to about the same level, then mix together.

Apply with a popsicle stick or a metal spatula.

Terry

Date: November 10, 2006 11:30PM

Chris,

What did you mean by " I just finished the butt section" What are you bonding to the butt section?? One of us is confused (I think) You realize that Rod Bond is an adhesive and NOT a thread finish, don't you!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 11, 2006 01:06AM

Alright, looks like I need to clear some things. Lucky for me with RB if it looks like the same amount it weighs about the same. By "butt section" I figured it would be pretty clear, cork and reel seat.

Let's fish,
Chris

Date: November 11, 2006 01:46AM

I figured that I was confused! I thought maybe you were putting it on a butt wrap when you said butt section!!!! Great stuff isn't it?? I just use a couple popsicle (craft sticks) sticks and eyeball it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2006 06:54AM

In other words one equal part of the epoxy weighs more than the other.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Charlie Burris (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 08:34AM

Kardol marine epoxy is another similar product that works as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster