I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which CTS Blank
Posted by: Dave May (---.sanfordschool.org)
Date: November 09, 2006 11:56AM

I am looking to get CTS blank for open flats fishing in SW Fla. Reds, Snook. I have been looking over the specs on CTS website, and not sure which to get.

Throwing jerkbaits etc. 1/8-3/8oz
Throwing livebait pinfish, pilchards etc.
Line 15-20 suffix braid
2500-3500 spinning reel

need nice whip in tip section for long casting (like popping rods), and nice butt section for hookset and handling fish.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for the time

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which CTS Blank
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: November 09, 2006 12:19PM

Dave, Glad you asked this. I've been wanting something similar to this just OVER 7 feet in length and a little faster in the tip for throwing top waters. BTW where are you in SW FL? I'm in the St. Pete area.

Date: November 09, 2006 12:29PM

Scott,

I am in Pa. but spend lots of time at my fathers in Cape Coral fishing Pine Island Sound. I have buitl quite a few rods for down there, and so far my favorite has been a Rogue popping rod! Very light and first trip out last year caught a 35" Snook that wrapped himself around some fallen timber.....great rod! I have heard so much about the CTS blanks I figured I would see what info anyone could give me. Like you I am looking for 7-8' rod. Have new Rogue delivered today that is 7'6" popping blank. How has fishing been? I think I will be coming down there end of March

Thanks Scott

Dave

Posted by: Alan M. Smith (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 12:58PM

Dave,The best answer to your question is to call and talk to Andy @ Lamar Fishing .....Alan

Date: November 09, 2006 01:06PM

Alan,

I have talked to him briefly before......just thought i might get some quick idea.

Thanks for the info

Dave

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 02:01PM

I build rods for the open flats on the G Loomis HS9000 blank - 7'6", 6-12#, 1/4-1/2oz, mag-light power, extra fast action. So call Andy and see if he has an equivalent.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 02:45PM

I was wanting to know about them too I went to their website and looked at the Lamar's site.

All I see on Lamar's is "Pro Series from CTS" and "CTS Tournament Series of blanks"

On CTS's site I see

"Elite Bait Casting series" and "Elite Spinning series of rods"

Fast Taper Series

Pieces : 1, 2, 3
Lengths : 5’6” – 10’6”

Line Weight Lure Weight
1-3kg / 2-6lb 5-12g - 3/8-7/16oz
2-4kg / 4-8lb 8-20g - 9/32-3/4oz
4-6kg / 8-12lb
15-38g - 1/2-1 3/8oz
4-8kg / 8-15lb
16-45g - 9/16-1 5/8oz
6-8kg / 12-15lb
22-55g - 3/4-2oz
6-10kg / 12-20lb
22-55g - 3/4-2oz
8-10kg / 15-20lb 28-70g - 1 -2 1/2oz

Extra Fast Taper Series

Line Weight Lure Weight
4-8kg / 8-18lb
16-45g - 9/16-1 5/8oz
6-10kg / 12-20lb
24-58g - 7/8-2 1/8oz
8-12kg / 15-25lb 25-60g - 7/8-2 1/8oz
10-15kg / 20-30lb 30-75g - 1-2 5/8oz

Is there something I missed? I couldnt find prices or much of anything to tell me what to buy.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 03:08PM

Any of the CTS baitcast series will fit the bill. For the light lures, go with the 2-4kg or the 2-6kg for a more hotshot type action.

For the live bait application go with the spinning series (more moderate action) in the 4-6kg or 6-8kg depending on how much weight will be used.

Dave, email me directly and I'll provide you with some references of folks in your area using these blanks.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: November 09, 2006 03:15PM

Henry,
The website is still under construction.

Andy

Posted by: Alan M. Smith (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 04:00PM

Dave,OK ...Alan

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 05:58PM

OK Thanks for the reply. Are there any catalogs? A price list? something I could have to be more informed.

Thanks again.

-Henry

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 06:38PM

Email or call Andy at Lamar and he will email you one..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2006 11:06AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: November 09, 2006 07:15PM

Henry,
Email me and I'll be happy to send you a CTS catolog. In addition, we have some very exciting new paint finishes coming out at the beginning of the year. Some will be factory applied finishes, and some will be very special aftermarket applied finishes.....these are gonna blow everyone away.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Phinla Sinphay (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2006 07:58AM

Dave,
I have several spinning rods built using the CTS Tournament Series casting blanks targeting the same species, and mostly like in the same places. I am in Bradenton and grew up in St. Pete. Both rods are 7'ers, one is the 2-4kg and the other is 2-6kg. I don't use live bait but for arti's both rods are awesome.
The 2-4kg is great for unweighted jerkbait & small top water in open flat. It's a little too light for mangrove shoreline, etc. The 2-6kg is ideal and its actually my favorite rod. I get great distance with an unweighted Exude and small skitterwalk/spook jr.. I haven't found a rod that "walks the dog" than these two.

Now, for live bait I would go with Andy's recommendation.

If you're interested in testing the rods, shoot me an email. I also have a couple 7'6" blanks that I haven't built on yet that you can see and shake....

PS

Date: November 10, 2006 08:45AM

Thanks to everyone for the heads up!! I will talk with Andy and see what he has

Thanks

Dave

Date: November 10, 2006 09:05AM

Phinla,

Thanks for the great info......If you don't mind my asking how much ballpark for the blanks you built on....both the 7' and the 7'6"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster