I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Common Courtesy
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:38PM

Hi All,

The responces from my earlier post about my Trim Bands & Inlays tutorial was simply awesome and I would like to thank everyone who replied back
after I sent it to them. Kudos for having the courtesy to reply! Your mothers
did a fine job!

If anyone sent a request and didn't hear from me it was because I did get the email. Many got sent to my junk mail folder but at least I got them and I always check that folder before it gets emptied.

I responded to over 150 email requests and to date only received about 50 repiles back to either say thanks or just to let me know it was received. I would have thought that number would have been MUCH higher. Bummer,
maybe I'm just naive. A very well respected professional rod builder advised me to just get over it and I guess he was right.

However,

To those who for what ever reason failed to reply. SHAME ON YOU! I know sometimes in todays busy world things can slip thru the cracks or just
plain get forgotton. However, one should really try to be more courtious
to those who take the time out their busy day to help you.

For those that missed that post. I created a picture tutoril on how I make trim bands and inlays on my wraps. If anyone would like a copy just email me and I'd be happy to send it off to you. It's available in PDF( thanks to Mike Barkley) and MS Word format. If you don't specify which format you prefer I will send both formats.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 11:41PM by Raymond_Adams.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Common Courtesy
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:44PM

That's also my pet peeve, I e-mail hundreds of tutorials on an ongoing basis and probably 10-15% of the recipients seem to be able to find the REPLY button on the e-mail. Those are the ones that make it worthwhile, though!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.southslope.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 11:40PM

I'm sorry, I am one of the 100 that didn't take the time to say Thank You. I do appreciate you and everyone else that takes the time to help me out and instructing me in my endevors. I hope this doesn't stop you from continuing as you seem to help and contribute whenever you can and Thank You again for that.

Sincerely,

Scott Kleppe

Date: November 08, 2006 11:55PM

Thanks Scott,
I would gladly sent out 10000 emails and if nobody said thanks well, I would do it again anyway.
I had fun making the tutoril and if I helped anyone that is the icing on the cake so to speak.
Every "thank you" though just makes it that much better a feeling. See, there really is a method
to the madness and it's all quite "self centered" to be frank. If it feels good "do it" and I feel really
GOOD to know I actually made a difference to at least a few. School teachers always say "it not
the pay, its the JOB" I understand where they come from!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 12:33AM

well, not sure if i replied or not, but just in case i forgot to, THANKS ALOT! I will be using them on my next build. Im a bit of a scatter brain, so I cold have neglected to reply.

thanks again!

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 12:50AM

Raymond,

As a rookie at this, and think I speak for all us rookies, I really appreciate the genorousity of you and others that take time away from your schedule to help us out. I was one of those who asked for the tutorial, and after your thread, it got me thinking if I responded with a "Thank You" or not. I was pretty sure that I did, but I couldn't remember for sure. So I will say again what I think I already said... thank you. Not just for the tutorial but for the countless responses to questions from us that are usually redundant. I think that the fact that the lack of responses has and will not deter your willingness to help says a lot about your character. One thing to think about though, is that some people may feel like you must be recieving a ton of mail and having to take the time to open another that just says "thanks" may get aggrivating. Especially if you recieved as many "thank yous" as you did requests. I don't think most people would be aggrivated by that, but it is something I have wondered before since I am normaly on the recieving end of the help. Anyway, just thought I would say thank you again.

TJ

Date: November 09, 2006 12:50AM

Well put, Raymond!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 09, 2006 01:08AM

Thanks Danny & Tim,

To everyone else,

Like I said in the previous thread. I'm not looking for public acknowlagment and if everyone replied here on the forum
it would require many pages. So please dont reply directly to me here. If you deleted the email I sent you can get my
email address by clicking my name on any post.

Ofcourse, if anyone has anything else to say, please do!

Raymond Adams

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2006 01:23AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.acsalaska.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 01:29AM

My mama did raise me better than that! She had me practice writing thank you notes and returning them via the post within two days of being the recipient of a good turn.

I think the difference now is the protocols of the email age are very different. At work I supervise 50 employees. When my time, opinion or help is requested in person or by phone, I am always thanked for my effort. When the same comes via email, the thanks comes in advance contained within the request. If every answer I replied with generated a thank you email, I wouldn't be swamped, I'd be buried. It would not be a tenable situation.

My error was in failing to recognize the difference between the work world and the protocols of this forum. Here, we express ourselves as gentleman and give freely of our time, experience and wisdom helping one another master the art of the rod!

One of the first things I do every day upon escaping from work is to check the forum to see what is new. (Have to admit, I sometimes take a mental vacation and check while at work too!) Raymond Adams is a frequent contributer to the forum, and was to me personally when I made the request for help. The same too is Mike Barkley.

So to both you guys, thanks for the help with the tutorials and my apologies for having my head deeply inserted. In the future I will pay closer attention to my forum manners.

Posted by: R.Michael Healey (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 01:34AM

Hi Ray: I was one who requested your tutorial, and I had a moments panic that I had neglected to say thanks. I looked at my sent mail and found that I in fact did send you a response so please remove me from your hit list. I have been having fun trying to make it work and so far I have been able to complete several tests following your complete instructions. As a newbe I really appreciate your help as well as all the great info on the forum. Thanks again.
Mike

Date: November 09, 2006 02:04AM

Michael,

I got no HIT LIST! LOL!

I do however save sent emails for a time in their own folder and I have a record of every request I
received and responeded to. I responded to every request that I received. I also saved every reply
received from those that I sent to.

I did this NOT to keep a record to know who NOT to talk to or help anymore. To be honest it's just
habit. Like Bruce, I to use email quite a bit every day in a business enviorment and have learned
to cover my rear end in regards to writtin communications on company matters. Especially where
an he said she said situation might occure. I wanted to be sure that if someone fired at me for
ignoring them or not following through with what I said, I could check to see if I messed up or they
were mistaken. Some habits are hard to break and I concure with Bruce.

Also, there was some discussion with other builders about just how much effort one should apply
to helping strangers. They knew about my pet peeve on this subject and warned me not to expect
many replys saying there are a LOT of takers in the world who just take advantge of guys like us.
I argued that the world is not as bad as that and I would prove it!

This thread is not really a "rod building" subject so I really think it should end here. OK everyone?

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 06:03AM

Raymond; If I did not send you my thanks ,I will do so now. Thank You for your Time Effort put in to bring this here and allow everyone to view it. Thank You again

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 06:25AM

Ray, if I did not send a thank you it was because of my thought pattren.My MO is to thank people in advance at the time of the request therefore eliminating another e-mail being sent to them and clogging their mail box(I assumed a large request was to be had) and wasting their time reading it.A few times I e-mailed Tom questions about the board and after the answer was sent didnt reply back knowing his time is valued and he could use that little bit of time to help someone else.Not making an excuse here but simpley sheading light on another senerio that may indeed be the reason for lack of reply.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 07:14AM

Ray, watch what you ask for. Read Fred's post above, adn relize what a pain it would be to check e-mail and see 150 replys saying how great it is...then tacking on another question or two? What kind of rods do you build? Where do you fish? Are you visiting Bumbleburg Alabame, I'll take you out.

I find it much worse when someone contacts me out of the clear blue asks a question, gets there response & I don't hear from them for months...until they have another question. This used to happen really frequently, until I started to give VERY brief answers and take days to reply.

lol - just to bust on Ray, all of us who did NOT ask for a copy of his tutorial, we should all e-mail him NO THANKS, but thatnks for the offer. lol!

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: November 09, 2006 09:04AM

You received 50 reply's on your tutorial? I believe that Cliff Hall is the only one to let me know that he got my tutorial.

Date: November 09, 2006 11:13AM

Scott,
I got a lot of replies on your tutorial. Want me to forward them to you? LOL!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Scott Wood (---.tsgnavy.org)
Date: November 09, 2006 11:51AM

For your consideration...

I am one of those that asked Mike Barkley for the tutorials. I did not reply. I had one on my screen, but deleted it instead of sending it because I didn't want to clutter his inbox anymore than it most likely already was. Yes, there are some that aren't very appreciative when they are given this type of information, but - maybe - there's a little more "common courtesy" going on than you think there is. It's just applied in a different form.

I've done the same on other sites (not rodbuilding related). I just send the info and don't look back for a reply. The gesture will make its way back to me one day.

By the way, Thank You Mike.

/Scott

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: November 09, 2006 12:15PM

Mike,

No I don't need to see the replies. I was just suprised that you got that many responses. I think I am in the same boat as Scott Wood about not wanting to clutter someone's inbox and that what comes around goes around. I did not create the tutorial for thanks just trying to give back a little for all the info I've gotten from the folks on this site.

Posted by: Gary Richmond (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 12:46PM

Ray-
Know what you're saying. Not in rodbuilding (yet) but I've been in other fields where I've done the pics, and sometimes actually made machined parts and sent them to folks to help them out. Especially on making parts for folks, I find it,,,,, puzzling(?) that before sending there is all sorts of communications,,, then when sent,, Nothing! Not a thank you,, item recieved,,, didn't / did work,, nothing. I never charged for these things and foot the postage, and still nothing. So I know how you feel. BUT, once in a while,, you do get feedback and it smooths everything over. And sometimes,, you can tell when a guy is overwhelmed with appreciation and that makes it really worth while (ie; the warm spot) - Enjoy.
As mentioned,,, I still think you'd be a good teacher.
Gary

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 04:43PM

Scott; just went back and checked the file, And I am Sorry! It WAS your tutorial that I requested

Thank you for you kind gesture of offering this file to everyone

junkmansj / Barry D Thomas Sr.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster