I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo rod--to use or not to use
Posted by: Brent Nelson (72.24.181.---)
Date: November 08, 2006 07:36AM

I received a bamboo rod years ago that belonged to my grandfather. It was made by an obscure maker in England, and appraised for around $600 15 years ago. It has never been used. However, the age of the rod and who knows what, caused the lacquer to decay on oney eyelet, allowing the thread to unravel. I had a rodbuilder repair the eyelet, though the thread color obviously could not be matched perfectly. My question is, since the rod has already been repaired, has the value decreased? If so, should I consider having the entire rod refinished (or doing it myself--not sure since I'm a newbie and it's bamboo), and should I fish with it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo rod--to use or not to use
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2006 08:50AM

Few people ever got rich on bamboo rod value appreciation. In your lifetime any increase in value might be enough to keep up with inflation, but beyond that, well...

Whether or not you should fish with it is probably going to be more a question of how you value your grandfather's rod rather than how much money you might be risking if you damage or break it. After all, $600 to $800 or whatever, isn't really a lot of money. I'd say that sentimental value would outweight any other concerns. Then again, your grandfather might be pleased that you take it fishing. That's something you have to decide.

If you do decide to have the rod refurbished, I'd make sure that it was done properly. Sure, you could do it, but I'd arm myself with some knowledge and skills first. If you choose someone else to do it, make sure they're qualified. A good refurb job is one where you can't tell anything has been done - one where the rod looks like it did when new. Of course, such a job will cost you, and don't be surprised if it costs as much as the rod is worth.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:26AM

Its a risk reward issue. I'd make, or have made, a display case for it and mount it on a wall that keeps it out of the sun so you can get more enjoyment out of it and still maintain its value with no risk. If you do choose to use the rod, make sure the rod dries out before you put it back into the tube, as trapping moisture in a rod tube causes delamination in bamboo rods. Even repairs have to be done with old world hyde adhesives because the new ones are too strong comparitively. Old finishes on rods don't decrease value, they are expected, but a properly restored finish should only be attempted by a expert and expect to pay a good portion of what it may be worth to achieve that end.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.40.90.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:52AM

Brent,
If the varnish on one of the guides has degenerated to the point that the thread was coming loose, it is likely that the rest of the varnish has also decayed. You might use a moistened cloth and wipe each guide with the cloth. If you see fine lines appear where the water has seeped into tiny cracks, it is likely that you need to have the rod refurbished.

You might want to contact the folks at Golden Witch who sell bamboo rods. They also do repairs and can put you in contact with someone in your area who can evaluate your rod and refinish the rod if you decide you want to fish with it. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: November 08, 2006 11:17AM

Go over to Classic Fly Rod Forum and get in touch with some restorers. A good restoration is not cheap, but may give you a good, serviceable rod. You might check with Art Parramour first as he sees a lot of middle to low end rods.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 03:11PM

There are Restored, Refurbished and Rebuilt rods. All different pricing, for all different reasons.

Tom is right when he says a good restoration doesn't look like the rod has been worked on.

A good restorer will match the thread to the point that nobody can pick out the new wrap from the old.

Most production rods had a certain way they treated the thread, the type thread they used, the final finish and the way the final finish was applied. Different way of protecting the color of the thread so the end result was what the maker wanted. Then you have the private small makers,,, they had certain things that they did with their thread..

If there is a name on the rod or a decal that would help us to give you the best advise we can..

BTW, an occasional PHY crosses my bench ! ~~

<*)))><

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: November 09, 2006 06:32PM

No insult intended Art. Just didn't know whether you were monitoring this thread and it did not sound as if this one was a PHY. Glad you chimed in. Don

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 07:03PM

I love to chime in Don,,

And there was never any insult taken.

He has emailed me privately and told me what he has, and it is a nice English rod from a know maker, a later rod : 1960's.. he told me what he had and his impression of the condition of the rod.. I told him to fish it.. Leave it as is and have a good time with it.. That is what they are for!!!!!!!!!

After all Golden Witch sells some of their rods for over $3,000.00 and they are for fishing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Don, thanks for the referal ! ~~

<*)))><

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster