I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

No thread or epoxy?
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 07, 2006 03:57PM

I wanted to take a TK quote from down the list that caught my attention but apparently hasn't been noticed by most:

"Or, you can just stop using epoxy. Might as well dispense with thread as well. Neither is needed for attaching guides to blanks anyway........... Watch for the volume 9 #6 issue of RodMaker. Big changes are in the offing. "

If this doesn't make you want to subscribe, even just out of curiosity, then I don't guess anything would. I'm dying to know what this issue has in it. I've thought about super gluing guides on a blank but didn't want to risk blank damage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No thread or epoxy?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 04:51PM

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2006 06:26PM by Michael Joyce.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2006 05:10PM

I may very well be wrong, but I doubt you can find anything that will just "glue" a guide to a rod blank. It might stick for a while, but to hold up under actual fishing situations, well...

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:18PM

Some companies had come out with shrink wrap on the guides and they actually worked pretty well. I had one and I think it was an Eagle Claw. Still have it and the guides are still in place and in good shape. If you can get clear shrink tubing it might be interesting.

Date: November 07, 2006 10:12PM

Should we sell all our thread?

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 02:03AM

I think it's just a Cajun legend.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 08:37AM

Swampland Man!!! Come on -- is the rod and pen business THAT GOOD?? At a post time of 02:30 am the only horse awake for the race should be Snoreoutloud! Flocking for High Point done - get a bigger trailer!!

Dyn N Watchn

Posted by: Arthur Mayfield (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 06:58PM

There was a very low production Howald Wonderod that used a titanium and glass ferrule and had guides wrapped with a filament of fiberglass (presumably covered with resin, rather than varnish). That's one old rod I'd love to have. Meanwhile, I kind of like silk wraps, and they give the opportunity for a little decoration. I'm sure there will be wrapless guides, but not for my rod making.

Re:Threadless guidfes
Date: November 08, 2006 08:17PM

A rod built with "wrapless guides"??? Sure would look cool without a hint of mono or white silk...kind of like a floating guide, I seen it.

A technique like this comes about , ....and it works. Whats happens to production rods, outwrappers, thread and finish manufacterers and the like? Will they suffer or gain?

If YOU had the option of NOT having to wrap a guide....would you do it??? or stick with a traditional approach and use thread?

What say YOU?

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:21PM

I think that I'd go for the thread!!!! Obviously, I have no idea of what this method is, but if it entails anf type of glue bond, would it be removable for repairs???

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 06:58AM

I like the artistic options I have with thread! So I would continue to use it. I'm not saying however that I would not try another method. It would depend on what I was trying to accomplish.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 10:00AM

Same as Steve G.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 01:05PM

Though they have their place and look great when well done, I'm not a big fan of transparent wraps, such as with white silk. But something new and different is always nice to have in the bag of tricks.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: November 09, 2006 02:13PM

If it's faster and easier than using thread, and comparable in strength and durability, I'd throw my thread in the trash and smile faster than my three year old dives on a dropped Skittle.

Lets face it, thread is a PITA. Worst part of rodmaking if you ask me, and a task I'd be happy to never do again (except maybe once in a blue moon just to remind myself what a pain it is).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2006 02:14PM by Mike Naylor.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.45.34.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 02:36PM

I'm with you Mike. I enjoy laying out the handle design, guide spacing and sizes and building and assembling the components. I don't find the thread or finish work that enjoyable and I also usually make my wraps plain, single color so by not having wraps on the rod, I would not be giving up much - just a little color. Yes, faster than your three your old dives on a dropped Skittle is about how fast I'd toss my thread too - that's funny!

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 03:22PM

hahhahahahah you all missing the point

what goes round comes round
anyone ever heard of hucklberry finn

think of his nice rod mmmmm get the idea

$110 for a branch off some tree in the neibours yard think about it

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 08:18PM

Forrest Gump said "life is like a box of chocolates". Personally I find it quite satisfying that all the odd shaped pieces in the box do not contain hard caramel centers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster