I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy question
Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:23AM

I understand that it will take some time for a 2 part "rod building" epoxy to cure completely. What I am wondering about is there a product out there that will set-up and due its initial cure faster. Currently I need to wait approximately 24 hours before I apply a second coat which in itself is not to bad but it allows that much more time for dust to settle and that drives me nuts. Unfortunately I do my finishing in an area that can not be made completely dust free. I have resorted to a drying box which is OK but if I could find a quicker setting epoxy I'd be a little happier.

Thanks

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:30AM

You can recoat in as little as a couple hours. Just wait long enough so that the first application isn't so sticky that you can't easily apply another application. No reason to wait a full 24 hours before recoating. Applying the finish in a very warm room, up in the 80's or even 90's will also speed the cure.

Another possibility is the new Swifty Diamondite finish which can be cured in as little as an hour with the application of heat from a standard 100 watt light bulb. It's a little different product than other common epoxy finishes, but gives a similar appearance when cured.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2006 09:35AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:31AM

Threadmaster is what you want. Click Lamar Fishing on the left in the sponcer area.

I can put on the 1st coat at 9am, and the 2nd late that same evening and it is dry enough to even sand out a dust bunnie if needed before you apply the 2nd coat.

DR

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-216-61.myvzw.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:44AM

Jim,
If you're willing to build yourself a little heated drying box that will go up to about 120 degrees, you can accelerate the cure of ThreadMaster to a useable full cure in as little as 2 hours.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.16.214.69.static-cm-pool44.pool.hargray.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 10:05AM

Like Tom said...you don't have to wait near that long to apply another coat. You can even apply more thread over epoxy in well under 24 hours. The brand of product you use isn't that important in this instance.

Jay

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 03:12PM

"rod building" epoxy to cure completely

Your post indicates you may be waiting too long between coats due to definitions and information of other sources. On some epoxies "final cure" may tke several days. Reaching the final cure is not a requirement for second coat application of finishes. The high gloss and hard surface that Threadmaster develops in a relatively short period of time allows the application of a second coat quite quickly. If you push the upper limits of time before application of Threadmaster you may find that it will tend to repel the next coat and cause streaking problems. My time span for next coat application when using Threadmaster ranges from three to 24 hours. Any longer than 24 and I scuff with 800 or Scotchbrite. If waterslides are in your plan you need to compensate for time of application without scuffing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2006 08:49PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 04:51PM

I usually do a second coat in a couple hours with Threadmaster and you should be able to with most finishes as long as they are set up to a "tacky" state.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster