I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color stick ideas
Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2006 10:36PM

I searched and didn't find much info. What are you using for color sticks? Anybody have any good ideas? I've thought about varnishing some wood dowels. Are plastic dowels available? Would they work? Is there a good source for rod blank pieces?

Thanks,

Erik

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color stick ideas
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 04, 2006 10:51PM

PVC pipe comes in everyting from 1/2" up is smooth and can easily be spray painted black to more accurately reflect what the thread will look like on a blank.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 11:09PM

I plan to hit Tap Plastics locally for some fiberglass and Delrin rods as well as some polycarbonate and acrylic tubing. Prices can be a bit high but the quality of the materials is good. They do not have a Hawaii location but do have online ordering.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Date: November 05, 2006 12:21AM

Thanks for the good info guys. Tap Plastics has some neat stuff. It looks like some of the fiberglass rods will work great.

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: November 05, 2006 12:37AM

try this...

[]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 10:10AM

Why not buy one 18 foot Forecast blank and put all sthread combos on it - you could even paint or marble different sections different colors to get the total effect of background change. Buy one of these and wrap it from end to end - don't shy away from pink and aqua. Bring the thing to High Point and you will definitely draw a crowd!

My test blank is quite a bit shorter - black/silver - purple and gold don't take up a lot of space!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Joe Luebeck (---.stn-co.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 05:53PM

I scavenge every broken rod I can. If I come on a blank with a color I don't have, I use a wooden dowel and Acryllic artists paints. You can mix them to match any color. And they dry in about an hour. They'll work fine on PVC, but it's difficult to get PVC in small sizes. $0.44 to $1.00 a bottle at a discount store. Works for me.

Joe Luebeck
Butte, Montana

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 11:26AM

Try this arrow shafts segments after they have been trimed to length, you can get some pretty long ones, ask your archery shop to save them, and carbon arrow have a matte blk finish, check mine out

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 02:06PM

I will be glad to convert any tutorials that anyone has to PDF format for them

Oops! I posted to the wrong thread!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2006 05:15PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:53PM

Erik
I bought a Bike Flag Whiprod: 6’x1/4” solid fiberglass rod at Wal-Mart I think it was under $8.00. I panted it black and cut it in section then made my color sticks. It is very durable and easy to work with.

Lynn
Owensboro KY

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:03AM

Stopped in to a archery shop that was going out of business. They had some white solid fiberglass (?) arrow shafts used for bowfishing for carp. Bought a handful cheap! Painted one side black (along the length) and left the other side white. Stuck a foam foregrip on the end. Perfect color test sticks.

Rog

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 11:42PM

Note....Delrin rods turned out to be WAY too flexible.

The carbon fiber rods would look awesome but they were out of my price range for color sticks.

The white fiberglass (watch out for splinters) I am painting black with appliance epoxy spray paint and they look great.

Will leave a couple white and just clearcoat them to lessen the chance of splinters.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Date: November 09, 2006 02:00PM

Thanks again for all the great ideas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster