I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a sensitive blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.southslope.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 06:37PM

I have all St Croix and GLoomis rods that I use. These rods can be costly and I have found I can make them for less money and then the fact I that I made it makes catching that much more enjoyable. You all have helped me out greatly in this endenvor!

I see different manufactorers of blanks here and I wonder are they comparable to the above mentioned. What would you professionals recommend for a 6' medium walleye rod blank? I will use this rod for jigs (1/8-5/8 oz.) and am looking for the sensitivity to feel a wallye farting.

What else is out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a sensitive blank
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 04, 2006 07:06PM

CTS!!!! IMO CTS blanks equal or surpass anything out there!. Check with Andy Dear at Lamar Fishing. He'll steer you in the right direction

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 07:56PM

Sensitive would mean that the blank should be designed and built by a left brain controlled group of people. Your build technique will have as much to say about the "feel" of the completed rod as the blank used. A build can "kill" or "enhance" any feeling that the blank can bring to the table. There are many many ways that the issue can be pushed - for starters how about maximizing all the tools that Rich Forhan brings to the table - and on and on -

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: November 05, 2006 09:37AM

One blank that fits the bill at a great price is the Lamiglas IMS72ML, we use a liitle heavier jigs here in the west so the blanks St Croix was making at the time for walleye weren't really cutting it out here. Looks like your looking to use a little heavier jig also on the top end. I brought a few rods on this blank and the Certified Pro version to Michigan when I was stationed there, they worked great. I've caught 25 lb Chinook and some steelhead as bycatch on this blank, there is lots of backbone in the blank to go with the light tip. Mudhole has some I think in their discountinued blanks section which is only because of a color change, Lamiglas still makes this blank and the discountinued blanks are under warranty.
Another great value in the CTS pattern is the Graphite USA C601 and 2 blanks, Angler's Workshop has some on sale, I'd go with the 602 for your application probably. The person who helped design the CTS blanks helped design these. Tough sensitive blanks.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2006 01:16PM

If you can find look for ALL STAR TITANIUM model BAST725C(casting) or BAST725S(spinning),super blanks.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2006 08:40PM

The CTS blanks are somewhat different in design than the GUSA blanks are. They have thinner walls, and only use a single helical layup as opposed to the Dual Helical that GUSA uses, yielding a much lighter blank in the freshwater/light salt actions.

In the interest of accuracy, although Stephen did work for Composite Developments in New Zealand for a number of years (which did have some loose affiliations with GUSA), he really has never had any interaction with Dick Kantner or any of the newer owners of GUSA. Stephen is the sole designer of all the CTS blanks, and to my knowledge he never designed or had anything to do with the GUSA product.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 12:51AM

I agree with Spencer on the Lamiglas blank. If you are looking for a less expensive blank you might want to check out RainShadow/Forecast. They are a sponor on the left. Give Bill Baston a call. See What he has
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 06, 2006 09:32AM

My most recent build is a CTS 6'6" 1pc. rated for 4-6kg. line (CTS model #EST16646). It CC's at 12.65/77 and I built it as a spinner with 20-12, then 5 #6 fly type guides. It has a 6" rear grip, no foregrip, and I finished the wraps with 2 coats of Permagloss. It is so light and so sensitive I can't even believe it. And it casts just as far as another 6'6" rod I have with similar power but 25-16-8, then 4 #6s. I love it and know it's going to become my favorite smallmouth rod for finesse type fishing with 6 or 8lb. mono. Scott, I'm unfamiliar with walleye farts but this would be a rod that could detect them. Check with Andy to see if he has anymore left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster