I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Belt Sander for Guide Prep
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 05:17PM

I am looking to get a 1" X 30" or 1" X 42" belt sander for prepping guide feet. Does anyone use a machine they would recommend? Most reviews I've seen are less than positive in the consumer grade units. Since this is not a strenuous use of the machine I wonder if the Delta or Grizzly units will be fine. I'm tired of filing by hand and I take off too much material with my Dremel Tool. Forget about the Burr King or other professional tools. They are way too much machine for this task.

Thanks,
Dave Gilberg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Belt Sander for Guide Prep
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 05:24PM

I got a cheap 1" X 30"belt / 4"disk combination sander from Harbor Freight for about $25.00. Works just fine for me.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 05:25PM

Ditto to Jim's statement.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 05:28PM

Thanks Jim and Derek. Your word is like gold to me. Hope to see you both in HIgh Point in Feb.

Dave

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 04, 2006 06:11PM

Was in Harbor Frieght an hour ago and they had it on sale $29.95 ($10 off)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 10:34PM

The Harbor Freight 1" belt sander works better for me than the Dremel and diamond disk, which I'd been using. Seems easier and quicker for me.

Stan

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 02:27AM

Dave,

Checking the local supply of belts might help you make up your mind. 1" X 42" has been an industrial standard for decades, where the 1"X30" is newer and aimed more at the consumer/DIY market. Any Industrial Supply will have the 1"X42" belts, Lowes or Home Depot may have both. Norton, 3M, etc... will make belts in either size, but be aware that there are some goof-ball sized import sanders coming ashore these days where you can't always find belts local to you. Don't get stuck with a tool with an odd belt size.

An inexpensive sander will work fine for what you're doing. In heavier applications a Burr King or the INDUSTRIAL Delta (belt drive/induction motor) would be in order, but you're going to put so little strain on the gearbox & motor that a low dollar unit will probably last you forever. Belt tracking (left/right adjustment) is the only issue I've ever heard of people fighting on the inexpensive units and it's generally just a matter of the top (tension) wheel not having enough crown on it which is easily remedied.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 03:01AM

I have modified a kitchen can opener that has a knife sharpen, The grinding wheel stones are of a fine grade. These wheels polish and shape the guide feet to a excellent fine beveled polished surface
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 10:56AM

If you are headed to harbor freight to check out that belt sander, you might compare this to the 3 1/2" bench grinder at $39.99. It has a grinding wheel and finishing/unified fiber wheel so you can grind and polish in 2 easy steps without changing tools. It also has flexible hand held grinder for small work and has a variable speed control. I moved to this after working with a dremel tool. It's a slick way to get through one of the least attractive processes in the shop.

I would prefer this setup personally over a belt sander.

Good luck with your new tool, whichever you pick!

Terry

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 11:19AM

The Harbor Freight belt sander comes with an 80 grit belt. They also sell belts in 80 and 120 grits. I bought a couple 120 belts and use those for guide grinding.

The tool Terry mentions is also very useful and worth the money, IMO.

Stan

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:02AM

I picked up a good Craftsman from a pawn shop. I even asked for and got a price reduction. Was like brand new and cheap.

Kerry

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:37PM

I use a 3.5" fine-grit metal cutting wheel mounted on an arbor which in turn is driven by a drill press. Makes quick work of guide feet.

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 24, 2006 07:59PM

Also creates a lot of heat and takes the temper out of the metal. Sanding with coarse grit belts removes material faster and with far less heat. This is the 21st century and regular old grinding wheels for use on rod guides can be put out to pasture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster