I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Extending
Posted by: Jerry Chambers (68.156.225.---)
Date: November 04, 2006 02:46PM

I am extending a blank from 6' to 6'6". I have a piece of fiberglass that will insert into the butt of the blank to give me the correct length. My question is; should I over-wrap the the area where the extension goes into the blank with thread, or place another peice of scrap rod blank over the area where the extention goes in to give it support?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Extending
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2006 03:18PM

The first thing you should do, is not insert anything into the butt of that blank. You may get by with it, but it's not even close to being the best way to extend a blank by that amount. The blank should be inserted into a butt piece that is at least as strong/stiff or greater, than the blank at that point. Extending blanks can be a real science, that when properly done, gives you a blank of the correct length at the minimum of weight and nearly perfect continuity of the original blank's properties. Consult the volume 6 #3 issue of RodMaker for an in-depth article on the subject.

In a nutshell, a very thin nutshell, yes you need to reinforce any area that could be subject to a split out at the junction of blank and extension. Generally, a very snug thread wrap coated with epoxy will provide all the reinforcement needed, but this is somewhat dependent on having the correct extension piece to begin with.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 05:06PM

The RodMaker Magazine article that Tom mentions provides very clear instructions for extending a blank. This is just one more example of the value of a subscription. There is no other place to get such in depth information on almost all aspects of building custom rods. The Forum cannot offer the step by step coverage that makes RodMaker the treasure that it is. I strongly suggest you treat yourself to a subscription. I consider my collection of RodMakers as vital tools in my shop. They are the best investment I have yet to make in my pursuit of this craft.

Dave Gilberg

Date: November 04, 2006 06:48PM

I should also mention that it's possible to use a section of aluminum tubing, or scrap graphite rod blank, for the extension. You could build the handle full length on the tubing or piece of rod blank, then cut or insert your rod blank to the correct length to get the overall length you desire.

I extend nearly every rod I've made in the past few years in order to get a faster action. There are several good ways to go about this but it would be hard to cover everything in detail in a message board post.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 08:54PM

Tom

Are the RB issues that deal with blank extensions, and surf rods, available on CD yet?

I know that there was talk about archival CD's in Sept according to the archives.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Date: November 04, 2006 09:36PM

No, as those are in volumes 6 and 7, which are still in pretty good supply.

Volumes 2, 3 and 4 are being burned now and I should have them here in about 10 days.

I don't expect volumes 5 and 6 to be on CD for at least another year.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 10:44AM

What about extending a surf-rod that is already built? I have a 10 Ft Lami conventional that has a Short (21") butt, would like to get 26"-28" Did not want to strip the whole blank to extend.

Any Imput?

Date: November 05, 2006 01:05PM

Strip the last few inches and oversleeve from behind. It's not going to be any harder than coming up with something to cover the junction when you stuff something into the butt. You just need to square up the rod butt in order to make a good fit. And, it'll be a lot more structurally sound.

Posted by: Jerry Chambers (68.156.225.---)
Date: November 05, 2006 06:16PM

Thanks for the help guys! I have been getting Rodmaker magazine for the last 2-3 years but do not have that issue. I ordered the back issue today! I am looking forward to learning the right way to extend blanks.
JC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster