I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Filing Guide Feet?
Posted by: Joe Luebeck (---.stn-co.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 02:21PM

A question for the board. How do you go about holding a guide secure while fiing the foot? I use a method I first read about here, a plastic screw and Dremel. Since this is how I'm spending part of my aftrnoon, I thought I would see how others go about this task.
Thanks

Joe Luebeck
Butte, Montana

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Filing Guide Feet?
Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: November 04, 2006 02:26PM

Hmmm!
Joe,
I use a nylon screw and a dremel with a diamond disc.

Your neighbor to the North

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 04, 2006 02:56PM

Nylon bolt through the ring and a Dremel/diamond disc Dremel mounted in a little drill stand (mini drill press) [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.132.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: November 04, 2006 03:21PM

When I grind guide feet I use a belt sander and just hold the guides in my hand. I outwrap for a living and most of the time I'm grinding guides for 25 to 40 rods. Putting screws on the guides and taking them off may help but outwrapping is piece work I just don't have the time to do that. I usually grind guides and wrap 25 to 40 rods a day and a few seconds here and there to put the screws on and off the guides costs me money.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 04:24PM

I use a Exacto blade holder to hold my guides. I use a belt sander to bevel the feet. If you do not have a belt sander, You can modif. a old knife sharpener. or use diamond files to grind the foot down. Be careful and do not leave a sharp edge. A sharp edge can work its self into the blank and cause a failure
Good wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2006 05:33PM

I use a pair of square nosed pliers with out teeth. I have about 4 layers of masking tape wrapped over the ends to protect the eyelets and to provide better grip. Eyes kind of push into the tape, and use a belt sander

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2006 06:50PM

Like Thomas, I don't use anything to hold my guides. Just my fingers, and that's even on the small ones. This is one of those things that is much easier to show in person than to try and explain in a board post.

If you make it to the International Custom Rod Builders Exposition in February, I'll be happy to show you an easy way to do it.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 07:50PM

I use an old Clemens guide holder that I've had forever. The nylon bolt sounds good. A Sears flap wheel, not the kind with foam between the flaps but the 3in. wheel that is solid flaps, chucked into my lathe. I then use a cloth wheel on the grinder to remove burrs. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 08:14AM

I hold all my guides with my fingers. I either use my bench grinder or my belt/disk sander (depending on my mood..lol) after they are shaped close , I use a set of hemostats to hold the foot while finishing with a jewlers file

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 11:05AM

I have a dedicated pair of locking hemostats also to hold my guide feet. The same type I use when flyfishing. The jaws are narrow enough to hold the guide by the foot and not the frame or the ring, and still provide a solid grip for grinding and finishing.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster