I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bubbles in Threadmaster...
Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.tamc.amedd.army.mil)
Date: November 03, 2006 02:20PM

In the past, I always mixed up Flexcoat with reckless abandon, because I knew the bubbles would come out very easily with an alcohol torch.

It seems like Threadmaster "liquifies" nicely with an alcohol flame, but the bubbles don't want to come out like they did with Flexcoat.

I have tried putting the TM on aluminum foil to warm it, but the bubbles still resist.

I've used a needle to get them out once on the wraps, but still not my preferred way.

Has anyone else noticed this about TM?

Any suggestions that don't require me taking my time in mixing or putting away my alcohol lamp?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bubbles in Threadmaster...
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-216-118.myvzw.com)
Date: November 03, 2006 02:35PM

Daniel,
This question ALWAYS comes up this time of year. The problem is not the finish, the problem is that you're mixing and applying the finish in a room that's too cold. The bottles and the room need to be about 68 degrees or higher, prior to mixing and applying the finish, DO this, and all your problems will go away. Whenever I get these calls, I can almost guarantee that the person is working in their basement in the NE or NW part of the US, and it's always temperature related. Get the room temp up, and slightly warm the bottles and everything will be fine.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 02:35PM

If you are in a room that is + or - five degrees from 70F and you are applying a normal and reasonable thickness the bubbles that are noticable will pop out on their own without any flaming at all. If you have air coming out from under thread you may have to help them out a little with warm air. If you are heating the stuff with a flame in the pan to get the bubbles out you may be drastically changing the working time and that will make air more troublesome to get out. Hide the lamp and see if that helps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2006 02:38PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2006 03:37PM

Daniel -

Try this ... do two coats. The first coat should be very light (still feel the thread texture) to totally seal the wrap and allow any air to escape through a very thin layer of epoxy. The second coat should be heavier to achieve the final result you desire. Threadmaster doesn't release bubbles, IMO, as easily as many other epoxies on the market, so the trick is to not put them there to begin with. It is a good product that offers a crystal clear image and rapid drying times.

Date: November 03, 2006 04:06PM

Bill is slightly incorrect,
You will not drastically alter the working time unless you use extreme heat for an extended period. Momentary heat will not alter the working time to any significant degree. I always use a flame on my ThreadMaster after I pour it out on a flat surface, and have no trouble with bubbles at all, or with the working time. In fact, if you'll pur out the finish on a flat surface, allow it to spread out, you can breathe on it and get rid of about 70% of all the big bubbles.As Bill points out, the remaining 30 will release on their own over the next 20 min. if the temp is above 70 degrees. All resins are temp sensitive and will retain bubbles in lower temperatures, however. TM is slightly more sensitive measuring and mixing in colder temps. than FlexCoat is.
I agree with Jim when he says not to put the bubbles there in the first place....that's the best solution.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 04:29PM

As I've said before, with Flex-Coat before LS Supreme, with LS Supreme before ThreadMaster, and now with the best 2-part rod finish I have ever used, ThreadMaster, I put the two bottles of finish in my shirt pocket for 30 minutes to an hour before mixing and applying it to my wraps. Plus, I use the 18rpm. homemade mixer with the ball bearing to mix, and then pour the finish (ThreadMaster) onto foil to spread out into a thin layer to give me a little more working time to apply. I also now have a $20. electric floor heater to keep my rod/flytying shop at about 70F. I have LESS trouble with ThreadMaster than any other 2-part finish I have used. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2006 04:36PM

I use the sme procedure with TM as I did with FC: I set the bottles of finish in a sink with warm water for about ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my finishing tools & work space. I pour Part B and then Part A in one of those marked plastic cups, one dram of each. I mix at a constant speed, by hand, for three minutes, timed. I pur the finish into a glass ash tray lined with aluminum foil, and spread it out. I hit it with a flame to remove the bubbles, and wait a minute, then begin to apply. as I said before, sag & wick, using the torch to remove any bubbles, and it seems to promote good leveling. I have not had a batch yet fail me. I am working in my bonus room, where the temp is a little more controlled (unless my wife is having a hot flash: then you can hang meat in here)

She doesn't know this website address, and I'm hiding my desktop shortcut.

Date: November 03, 2006 04:55PM

Fran,
Your aplication procedure mimicks mine perfectly.

Andy Dear
lamar Fishing

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2006 05:25PM

Then you can bet I won't be changing the method anytme soon...

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2006 05:27PM

Being a NE basement dweller/troll, I just have to adapt as opposed to using ThreadMaster during summer months only. Just like I did with FlexCoat for alot of rods, I warm the finish in water as I'm setting up brushes, foil, and marking the lines of the mixing cup with a Sharpie ( going blind )

I have one of those cheap electric baseboard heaters on the floor well below a drying rack. Trying to keep a larger basement toasty can get pretty pricey in the winter. After application I'll fuddle about with levellling at the bench, then transfer to the drying motor and use gentle heat with a massive torch to casually get rid of the large ones. Cold ambient air and ThreadMaster are a bad mix. It worked okay last winter, and turned the heater on for the first time the other night. No hitches, no baby bubbles.

Suppose I could move south and bring my ThreadMaster and family with me, but then I'd miss the way packed snow sqeaks when you walk on it, when its between 5 below an 10 degrees...and working outside in the freezing rain at an angle...and shovelling, snowblowing, and plowing, then going to work!!!! The sound of a foot of ice cracking on a large pond or lake...priceless!!

Date: November 03, 2006 05:36PM

But then I'd miss the way packed snow sqeaks when you walk on it, when its between 5 below an 10 degrees.

If you moved down here, you could replace that with the sound of packed sand in the surf when it's 80 degrees in Jan.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2006 05:52PM

Andy...got one of those beaches, they call it "Singing Sands"beach. No squeeking going on there in January during a N'oreaster, just a little howling.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and when its 10 below the ocean smokes, I seen it, not sure if it was fog or not. My part A is crystallizing, just thinking about it! LOL

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 07:59PM

Just a added note fr those in the NW and EC also any one N of the Masson Dickson line. Your rooms maybe warm , but watchout for drafts around windows. I had an experience 7 or 8 years ago when all of a sudden my finishes took on a foggy look. The room temprature was about 78%. What happened was, I had moved my finishing table next to my window. The temp. by the window was about 63%
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: November 04, 2006 09:01AM

Where I live, we have 3 seasons, hot, hotter and hottest. So I don't have your problem. I can build 365 days a year and produce rods with consistent finishes. But @#$%&, the humidity is killing, 100% all year round.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 10:41AM

Listen to Andy and your problems will go away. I had the same problem, and found that 70 degrees is the answer. Threadmaster will self level and be as bubble free as possible for an epoxy at this temp. Being in the north east, making rods in the winter, I have Threadmaster nto be the best leveling and most bubble free of any ( have used, not to mention that it does not want to turn yellow as does the others.

Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.tamc.amedd.army.mil)
Date: November 06, 2006 01:02PM

Andy ,and everyone else-

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I really just need to mix things more thoroughly and gently. I usually just mix with reckless abandon for about 30 seconds... the bubbles are my own fault, I know. They used to come out very easily with FC, not quite so easy with TM. Other than this minor issue, TM is light years better than the other stuff in my mind.

By the way, its not the room temp- I live in Honolulu and the AC in the room I wrap my rods in is set at a constant 72-74 degrees! ;-)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 03:36PM

Hey Daniel Here in Washington State, as I type, we are getting your PINEAPPLE EXPRESS. Our rivers are flooding and not fish-able. I believe they say this is the most rain we have seen in 10 years. So now I am committed to stay home and build rods.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster