I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is it worth it, or not?
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 02:17PM

I recently made an offer to a rod builder to trade him a new Flexcoat Four rod dryer in return for him wrapping and finishing 20 rods for me. I do all the gluing up and furnish all the materials all he provides is labor. I usually pay 20.00 for wrapping and finishing so this is 400.00 worth of labor for a machine that retails for 400.00, the advantage as I see it is that he doesn't have to come with cash which is what the barter system is all about. What do all you rod builders think? Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it, or not?
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: November 02, 2006 02:26PM

I wouldn't do it

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 02, 2006 02:50PM

Dear Mr. Jesse Buky - It seems this fellow prefers the CASH system to the BARTER system, and doesn't really recognize the value of the Rod Dryer to earn him even more money in the future. Nor does he seem to recognize the value to himself of establishing and maintaining an on-going business relationship with you.

Some people just can't recognize a good thing when they see it.

Jesse, as you discovered last February, and I am discovering as I have started working again, life is too short to spend too much time on a path that ultimately leads to nowhere.

Do the math. Re-shuffle your cards,
Lay-out your checkers. Re-set your chess board.
Keep looking for a CO-operator, not just an operator.
Best Wishes, Jesse. -Cliff Hall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2006 04:41PM by Moderator.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: November 02, 2006 03:23PM

If you think it's worth it, then it is.

Generally, I prefer bartering over straight cash. I get a lot of pleasure trading parts or services with other builders over cash. Much more personal. And when I can get away with it, I'd rather accept trade over cash when I build a rod for someone. If I were on the other end, I know I'd jump on the offer.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 03:31PM

Jesse, If I lived near you I would be wrapping right now. I love to barter. I have bartered with my dentist, electrian, tile floor layers and air conditioning men. It might take me a week to wrap those rods but if I didn't, I could look back, my time gone, and nothing to show for it. I think you made that guy an excellent offer.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2006 03:44PM

for you yes, for him no.
You'd never find anybody in my area willing to wrap and finish rods for $20. I love to barter also, but it has to be a win-win for both sides. This doesn't appear to be that. Maybe you can get Billy to wrap for you at those prices......lol

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: November 02, 2006 04:05PM

Hard to say, Jim. If I had nothing constructive to do at the moment it would be a choice between knocking out a pile of rods for some spare change, or watching mindless TV for nothing. I might be tempted to do it for the cash, maybe, especially if it were winter. But for a wrapper or lathe worth the same amount of $$, there would be no question at all. Reason being is that I have a hard time buying things for myself. If I work for cash, it goes into the bank and that's it. If I work for stuff, I get stuff that I will never buy myself, making it an even better bargain. (When I decided I needed a new Tilley hat, it took me 6 months to actually force myself to do it... my wife was shocked that I rushed into that decision as quickly as I did).

Working for locations of secret fishing holes that the rest of the city hasn't yet discovered... priceless!

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 02, 2006 04:15PM

Go for it, assuming this person is mentally able and over 18. I'm sure you can buy the wrapper for $240 or so wholesale so you're really paying him $12 per rod out of your pocket. Why wouldn't you do it, especially if he's willing to wrap that many rods for the wrapper. Worst case, he realizes you got the better deal and asks for more next time. And, like you say, his time may not be worth near as much to him as his cash so it may well be a good deal for him. Assume that he can make up his own mind and take him at his word. I love to barter and do it every chance I get. It allows a lot more flexibility in a transaction.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 04:34PM

Pull back your original offer and offer him 10 Bones at the current retail price. Hold off on releasing the Bones until you see the completed rods. If they are not up to "snuff" turn the Bones' Baby Daddy loose on him! Just do not allow him to reopen negotiations offering a years contract for weekly delivery of Strawberry Shakes as his end of the deal.

Gon Tradin

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 05:04PM

Jesse has already seen my work. I'm trying to get more $$$ for wrapping rods, and some of you aren't helping any. LOL. As I was leaving his shop today I told him I'd wrap 10 rods for that drier.......he was still mumbling long after I was gone. Jesse has been a BIG help to me as far as assembling and wrapping rods go, and I am grateful for that. We're still in negotiation on the number of rods.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2006 05:19PM

Jesse;
If you have seen his work and it is up to your standards, go for it. If that is what you are presently paying to have the work done, doesn't make sense to pay him more. I guess at this point it's up to him to decide if the value is enough to agree with the offer.

Cliff;
My question to you is- DID YOU EVEN BOTHER TO READ JESSE'S POST BEFORE YOU OFFERED COMMENTS?

Date: November 02, 2006 06:46PM

Bruce take him a Super Size Extra Thick Egg Added With Fresh Strawberries and he will give you the wrapper!

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 07:06PM

Bill, I'll do that as soon as I finish the four rods I'm currently wrapping for him as payment on my last barter.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: November 03, 2006 03:11AM

that's funny. i mean, both of you on this board.

if that wasn't the case, and i have to say i don't build professionaly at all, i might venture to guess that $20 a rod is kind of low. and for argument's sake, i'd have to say the barter system can be very helpful but not always. if the wrapper you were referring to had been bartering a lot recently, wth the impending christmas season approaching, cash in hand (time used for cash paying clients) would be more valuable than potential use of the dryer in the future.

is it worth it or not? that's up to the person being solicitated.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 03, 2006 06:16AM

Jesse forgot to mention that the only time I would use a four rod drier is when I'm wrapping rods for him.

Date: November 03, 2006 08:21AM

I just could not stand it any longer. As Paul Harvey says - Now for the REST of the story! Would you consider wrapping a rod like this for $ 20. This is an example of some of Jesse's finer inlays on a fly rod! Barter - PoooH! Jesse has completely violated one of his Covenants of the Rod - Cash Rules!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I will now wait patiently for his firing of the cannon from the Beach Hide Out!

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2006 08:31AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: November 03, 2006 01:22PM

Well guys, if I may venture into murky waters and join the fray. I have had aquite a few years experience working in a barter/cash market for rods.
I virtually fitted out my house building rods on a barter system, and I rarely had to pay much for car maintenance !!! I had many great customers who like me were cash strapped, but could offer services etc. i got many jigs, rigs, racks and machinery custom made from variouse customers that helped me build up a quite complete rod building workshop. Inturn, that helped make me more efficient. But it all worked on a buddy system-mates rates and wholesale, its how the system worked. I worked cheap for their cheap services and/ or/with products-It kept me busy, up to date, and allowed me the quantity and frequency of work to progress in experience, skill,and services. I also benefited from a greater inventory of guides and components that came my way as a result. I had many satisfied clients spreading the word for me and it grew exponentially with every rod. I may have been one of the few rod builders in the UK who made a living out of rod building alone.
However, when it came to the tackle industry, and building rods in quantities, volume costs came into play-I remember building 300, 18' salmon fly rods for a swedish customer-they provided the parts, and I put them together-for a fiver a piece (about US $7.50 at the time). With diligence, and hard work the job was completed. It took a month, on my own. I also built 300 special order 12'6"' Zziplex tip tornadoes, full spec, including full length closed diamond wraps (18" if I remember, but all the same pattern) on the butt. By the end I could do these diamond wraps in fifteen minutes a piece! I was only earning 9 pounds a rod for a job that I would normally charge 30 for to a retail customer. As a result I was building loads of huge tournament surf rods with all sorts of wraps on the butt section( the handle section if you like) These butt sections were usually about 1.5 inces in diameter, ans the wraps were usually 18 inches plus in length-I even did a few full butt length, about 4ft-hideouse I know, but thats what the customer wanted. I was earning a living from something I loved being envolved in.
The gains that I had from the increased frequency of practice with skills, the increased of experience , and services I could offer all came from a bartered rod building lathe and dryer that I paid for dearly in terms of labor, but I inherited a world of rod building and experience I would never have been able to become so envolved with if I did not get that machine !
I must add that I was a rod building nut, I lived and breathed it, but the UK is not the place to be a jobbing rod builder, and labor is too expensive, and the market won't stand the proper costs . I eventually ended up building 10 production fly rods a day, and doing custom builds and repairs as well, often untill the wee small hours of the morning 7 days a week, but could not afford to hire help.
I am now the owner of a company in the far east where I live,with labor cheap enough to be able to hire 10 people for the cost of one westerner. I am happy, fulfilled and I love the work I do. I appreciate the peple working for me and I pay them well above the average for their service, and they give me a great deal of their time, effort and loyalty willingly.
I am not building rods now(exept for my self) but I am still envolved in the fishing tackle industry-I support my family resonably comfortably, and I give stability, pride and hope to another 20 plus families who have members of therir family working for me.
The point is this, for me this is success at least to a good degree, and it happened because I bartered a rod bulding lathe. But that was my choice because I felt that I needed it, and wanted it to help me go where I wanted to go.
Jesse and Bruce have to work it out for themselves based on the merrits of their individual needs and what they want out of the deal-but for me, I would have gone for it, cause I can dry more rods !!!

Sorry for the long drivel, but I feel there is point illusrated that the deal is worth what ever benefit it can get for you in the long run !

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 12:21AM

Very well said Earl!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster