I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Reel
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: November 02, 2006 11:11AM

I am going to make a 12-14 wt. CTS fly rod and I need a reel. I will be fishing for Pacific Sailfish. Money doesn't matter. I would like the best available. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Reel
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: November 02, 2006 11:38AM

I bought one for smaller weight, but the Ross reel I got, I just love it. Very nice drag system on it and they stand behind what they sell with the warranty they have on them.

Posted by: Simon C. Joseph (82.36.5.---)
Date: November 02, 2006 12:10PM

Check out the Abel range. In my view there are none better. I have three, so maybe I am a tad biased.

Simon

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 12:11PM

Tibor Reels are especially good in this category. The Gulfstream, which is rated from 11- 14 wt. will fit your needs perfectly. I have a Riptide (rated 9-11 wt.) for Striped Bass. These are very well built reels with serious drag systems. The warranty is excellent and I hear great things about the support they give although I have not had to seek any. An experienced deep water fly fishing friend raves about the high end Orvis Vortex reels. The heaviest Vortex VO2 is rated up to 13wt. otherwise they are almost identical in cost and actual weight. The Vortex has a faster retrieve; which my friend appreciates. At about $700. either one will be a great fishing tool for the task.

My experiece with Ross Reels is limited to the Evolution series. These are first rate reels which I actually prefer to the Tibor Light models. But I have never tried their Canyon Reels which are the ones for heavy lines. Ross is also a firt rate company so I would not be surprised if the Canyon reels are also excellent for the job. You can also spend a lot more and move up to the Abels and Charleton reels. Frankly I do not know if what they offer is worth the extra investment.

By the way, my friend with the Vortex has it on a home made CTS rod. This guy really knows his fishing so I have no hesitation presenting his opinion.

You have a great opportunity ahead of you. Stick with a leading brand with a lifetime warranty and you'll be fine.

Dave

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 01:31PM

2nd Tibor

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2006 09:52PM

I'll toss out some other possbilities while we're at it.

The Pflueger Trion and President both come in very large sizes. Either is just over $100 and worth many times that in performance. You'll be amazed at how good they are for the money.

The Penn fly reels, if they still make them, were quite good. Really quite good.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: November 02, 2006 11:00PM

The Ross Cimmaron is a great reel at a very good price.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 09:13AM

Scott,
The Ross "Big Canyon" reels are being phased out for a new model. A non-sponsor has some on their "Bargain Cave" at a significantly reduced price. Great reel and even better for $150 or so off of list price.
Hope this helps,
Lynn
Santa Rosa, CA

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 10:04AM

Tibor or Nautilus

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 10:29AM

At, and after 300 USD, it's personal choice, and situation driven. Take a peek here, and remember to bring along your wallet !!!!
[tinyurl.com]

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: November 03, 2006 11:43AM

I'm not looking to hijack this thread - but I'm not a flyfisherman and I've always wondered something. Why do fly reels, in general, seem to cost much more than baitcasting and spinning reels? In mechanical terms, they seem to be much simpler in their makeup. Is it due to machined over cast parts, or something else?

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 02:15PM

The cost is due to "A river runs through it." Guys think a good fly reel will make them look like Brad Pitt. Actually I am guessing that it is because there is more machining needed on all metal fly reels. I do not buy the fly reels need more precision or tighter tolerance agruement though because top line baitcaster and spinning reels have tight tolerances also and alot more bearing and moving parts. I also think there is different pricing control structures in place for fly gear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2006 02:17PM by Dean Veltman.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 03:53PM

Rich Handrick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Why do fly reels, in general, seem to
> cost much more than baitcasting and spinning
> reels?

I disagree somewhat with your assertion. Let's take the original post, 12-14wt fly rod going after Pacific Sailfish. If I were going after that with regular gear I would be looking at using a Shimano Tiagra or better at those start at $400 and go up to $2K or so. So, the Tibor, Nautilus and other fly reels in the $600 or so price range are roughly equivalent in price to the conventional reels. For less exotic game (like steelhead, salmon, bonefish, bass, whatever) that still put up a fight you are generally using lighter weight leaders (tippet) than what's used in spinning or casting gear. To protect that lighter leader you need a well designed drag system and that costs money. So, I would use a better engineered reel (fly, spin, or cast) to handle lighter leaders (tippet) with aggressive fish. If I'm using heavier line I can get by with a less expensive reel. So, if I go after steelhead with a fly rod using a 3x tippet I want a better drag system than what I would use if I'm going after steelhead with a spinning rod using 10-14lb mono (just an example). If I was using 2lb test on my spinning reel and then go after steelhead I would use a much better spinning reel with a great drag.

Of course if you land your fish without using the reel then drag quality isn't really important and a much less expensive fly reel will do just fine (Cortland, Okuma, etc) unless you're looking for a very light reel. Which brings up the other costly part of a reel - weight. A lot of fly reels are engineered to be a lot lighter than spinning and casting gear. Saving weight costs, the lighter the more costly. So, if you don't rely on your reel's drag and don't really care about weight or line capacity then $30-$60 will get you a very decent fly reel. If you want something with a larger capacity, very light in weight and an great drag then you'll spend $300 or more.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 08:56PM

Scott.

Heres the bottom line from an ex-salesman of ALL flyreels. The fish you are targeting require the best drag and the strongest frames and construction-period. And, like it has been said already, you have a nice chunk of $$$ in that rod right? And you may be spending some more $$ in lodging and travel right? I have seen people come back to the store with reels that have gone to @#$%& fast, because they were trying to save a couple of $$. They may have great warranties, but when the reel fails you and you are in Panama, the warranty is useless until you get back here. As you already know, you need a reel that will NOT FAIL regardless of conditions.

My advice Scott is to buy a Billy Pate, Abel, or a Tibor. The Ross reels aren't even in the same race as these reels are. The Canyon Big Game reels will go to free-spool reel fast, (thats why they are no longer made I assume) and the evolution is right down that same path.

If my memory is right, Ted Jurasic has been making the Billy Pate since about 1974, and Steve Abel's reels are simply INDESTRUCABLE.

Don't be one of the guys that goes back to your flyshop with a reel that didn't hold up...

Respectfully,
Paul

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2006 09:45PM

The Abel Super 13 or Super 14 are the best big game fly reels on the market. Pacific sailfish, the first run run will be close to 200 to 300 yds in just seconds so then drag has to preform it's job. None do this better than Abel. Next the size of the reel has to be concidered or more precicely the line take up rate. The Super 13 and 14 are both 5 inches in diameter and rate of retrieve is enhanced if the reel is loaded correctly with backing and flyline. The Super 13 will hold 100 yds of 30lb.flyline backing plus 600 yds of 50 lb test spectra and a Teeny Billy Pate Billfish line. The Super 14 will hole 250 yds. of 30lb flyline backing plus 600 yds of 50 lb test spetra and a Teeny Billy Pate Billfish line. You will have to go to Teeny's web site to purchase the flyline. If you wish to know about rigging or where to purchase billfish flys let me know.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 02:49PM

Amen Michael!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster