I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burl Cork Staining
Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.1dial.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 10:18PM

I am building a rod using Burl Cork. What is the best stain or product to use to make the grain stand out with detail to get the best appearance? I still have to turn the OD of the cork to my preferred comfort fit. I just needed some opinions from Rod Builders with experience using Burl Cork and getting the best appearance that can be acheived with satisfactory results. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Capt. Marvin Engel
Big M's Fishing Charters LLC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burl Cork Staining
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2006 10:40PM

I used to put a light coat of Thompson's Water Seal on mine. Brought out the figure without overly darkening the cork.

Date: November 01, 2006 10:50PM

Tom,
I appreciate the information. I will use a light coat of Thompson's Water Seal when I finish turning the Diameters to size.

Thanks for the information.
Capt. Marvin Engel

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 11:11PM

For me, True Oil is the finish of choice! It really draws out and enhances the grain and you can control the appearence (gloss or matte) by the number of coats

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 11:11PM

Marvin,

I recently started using a couple light coats of Tru-Oil to get the effect you are wanting. It does darken the cork a little, but with only a couple light coats it is only slight. Like I said, I have only recently started using it so I am not sure how long the finish will last with only a couple light coats, but the initial look is outstanding. I guess time will tell.

TJ

Date: November 02, 2006 06:40AM

Thank you for all the information mentioned above Tom, Mike, and Tim.

Capt. Marvin Engel

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 07:30AM

True Oil makes burl cork look fantastic and makes them quite durable.One or two coats will only darken it slightly and provide a slight sheen,where as multiple coats will make it darker.The more coats you add(lightly buff between coats with fine sandpaper or steel wool),the shinier and darker it will look.You can make it look like a piece of burl wood if you want.

I really like having a regular cork grip with the ends done in burl cork that has had 1/2 dozen coats or more of Tru Oil.It starts looking like a grip trimmed with wood.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: November 02, 2006 08:47AM

I will also recommend Tru-oil. I tend to keep it light, 1 to 3 coats, as I like to keep the color from darkening too much. Even one coat really brings out the grain of the burl, it looks fantastic. Some people will put a bunch of coats on and achieve a shiny finish. That is not my style, but they like it, which is what matters. Very versatile product!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 03, 2006 01:13AM

Built many a beautiful gunstock back in my younger days, used nothing but Tru-Oil. This is actualy an oil, a drying oil. Put it on with your finger or two fingers,don't brush it or swab it on, you must rub it in to get the best effect and appearance. When you feel a drag on you finger, STOP rubbing, let it dry, lightly wool it with 000 wool, then go again. Two or three coats will be beautifull on the cork. It will darken it a little but mostly it will just highlight the burl.

jbh

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2006 10:07AM

I've been using burl cork to build my rods for the last 7 to 10 years. I use U-40 Cork Seal to finish the cork, but I vary the directions on the bottle to get a better finish I my opinion. I first fill the pits, then I wipe the grip off with Acetone to remove any oils from my hands that I may have gotten on the cork. I chuck the handle in my dryer and apply the first coat of finish. After 40 minutes to 1 hour I dampen the corner of a clean lent free cloth with iso alcohol or acetone and apply it to the finish. You do not want to remove the finish but it will become tacky at this stage apply another coat. Repeat the application as many times as you like but 5 to 6 times seems to yield the best results. Note after 4or 5 coats the finish will become milky looking don't worry when the finish completly dries it will be clear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster