I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

float/center pin rod
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2006 02:57PM

I have the 13' rainshadow rx7 float blank on order and am looking into getting into steelhead and float fishing for the first time with it. I am trying to decide if I want to wrap it up as a center pin rod or for a spinning reel. One option I am considering is to do a tennessee style handle with the pac bay rings, so I can use whichever style reel I want in the future. What handle style do you guys recommend? Also, would the guide placement by similar enough that if I set it up for a spinning rod that it would work just as well with a center pin? Thanks for any advice you have on float rods.

Dean Veltman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: float/center pin rod
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 06:43PM

Dean, I hope you don't mind if jump in also? instead of starting the same post ? I have just received 3 Baston Float Blanks I went with 11.5 as I wanted a little more Backbone as mine will serve dual purpose. Steel and walleye and smallmouth bass. You will love the Rod nice action! I am using the Tennessee handle with cork form Andy Dear, And Hockey tape. I am planing to Pin and maybe small spin? Penn 420SS? If the guides will allow? or will build as needed per {Guides} that is my sticky the Guides??? I Know you want them light for Floating, All rods will be Float Rods. Minnow or Spawn. Thanks Jay

Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 08:30PM

Hi Dean
If you are building a Rod for the use of a Center pin reel you have to use small Match guides starting with size 10 down to 4. The other part is the casting with a Center pin reel, it is not that easy. If you are going straight after Steelies, you will you lighter tackle (drift boobers as the Drennan Avon ) thats when you want a soft rod. If you give more Info how you are planning to use the Rod ( casting weight of your rig) I could help you more on deciding the components you need. I my self use 13 -15 ft. rods for my Center pin reels.
If you need more Info about this subject E-mail me at mrcrous@aol.com or go to my Web-site on the left The Rod Shop and E-mail me through it.
Best Regards Mark Crouse - The Munich Rod Man

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 12:24AM

Well I'll chime in here also. I fish float rods for steelhead with centrepin reels 90% of the time I'm chasing them. I've also built a "few" of them. I've found that the standard guide configuration for a float rod (in the GL region)starts with a #20 guide on the butt, 16, 12, 10, 10 and than 8's all the way to the tip.(The 8's are used to help with the ice issue, and I do this myself, but use titanium guides and light finish to cut down on the weight on the tip.) Mark has described a guide set that is popular with match fishing in the UK, the home of the centrepin reel. While Im sure it fishes well, I wouldn't use that set up for steelhead fishing. I understand the reasoning behind the small guides, but on match rods they run like 20 small guides along the rod? To me, it seems like the weight savings with the small guides is lost with the added guides. Mark is a very well respected builder, and I don't mean to undermine his suggestions, but I cant see using that guides set up on a steelhead float rod. It seems to me that it would be a nightmare. I've found that using mid frame guides and than using inserted fly guides on the tip section, i can get a great preforming rod, and gut down on the weight on the tip. Thes long blanks are tip heavy by nature.

My 2 cents worth.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 01:33PM

I concur with Danny. I build float rods and pretty much only fish float rods and you will be hapier fishing Steelies with the high frame guides strting with a 20 or maybe a 16...but no smaller. And as far as the Tennesse handle goes, I would put that type of handle on any of my float rods again. Mainly because the diameter is too big and hockgy tape holding a reel down is "ghetto". I would put an 8" rear grip on, the reel seat that you like the best, athen the fore grip as you desire. I use a full wells fly rod grip cut back to blend in with the hood of the reelseat.

Just my .02! Oh, you wil love the 13'er. longer drifts and more line control on bigger rivers.

Paul
Alaska Fish Stix

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster