I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about marbeling
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 31, 2006 07:30PM

I have been using Testors paints as a source for pigments and they work very well. I do remove most of the solvent in the bottles. I do have Putter's DVD but my nephew has borrowed it and I have a question. I have not been able to find a purple or maroon in the Testors at our local Michaels. Can one use accrylic paints for marbeling? What is another good source for paint pigments that one can hopefully find at a craft store?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about marbeling
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2006 08:01PM

Most folks hate acrylics due to what they say is a stringy snottyness consistency. I've prefer the acrylics for the colors and enjoy how they work. Different strokes.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2006 08:03PM

Why dont you mix pigments to get the shade you want.Yellow and blue make purple,how much of either dictates the shade.A way to finfd the color combos for a color is to type in GOOGLE "maroon is made by mixing" and the result should appear.I`ve mixed many pigments to get what I want.OOOPS! Should have used the Google link!!!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2006 07:48AM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 31, 2006 08:44PM

Fred, yellow and blue makes green. For maroon, mix red and just alittle black. Not sure for purple.

Date: October 31, 2006 08:45PM

Thanks gentlemen,
Last night I tried some mixing and was not satisfied with the outcome. I will keep trying though. The reason that I am interested in the acrylics is that so many colors are available and not very expensive. I will try those next. I finally gave up on the purple and went with a light blue background and dark blue, white, and silver as the marbeling colors. I am satisfied and will post a picture later in the week.

Date: October 31, 2006 08:58PM

You are right Jim. That is according to the Google search that I went to.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2006 09:07PM

Hi Ellis,
Another good pigment is the powder pigments by Pearl-Ex . A lot of craft stores carry
them. Pearl-Ex even comes in metallic colors. Do a search on a major @#$%& site
a you can see both the series color sets readily available.

Better yet I have the series 2 set and if you email me I'll send you a photo of the colors.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.205.25.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 31, 2006 09:37PM

Eilis-- If you still would like to give purple a shot , I got a bottle of testors at Wal Mart.
Can't tell you how it would look in marbleing dew to the fact I used it for another project, sorry.

<<< DON AT HOBBY RODS >>>

Date: October 31, 2006 10:14PM

Thanks Don. I will try Wal-Mart next. I did come close to the color I want by mixing a dark red and black. I have a bunch of old rods that need repairing so I am using those to practice on. These are early vintage GLoomis rods and the blanks are in good shape. However, after twenty years of use in the salt they need repairing. I am burned out on crosswraps so now I am doing marbeling.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2006 10:19PM

Ellis,
Your email address is hidden so I posted a photo of the Purple Pearl-ex powder
pigment next to a spool of Gudebrod #524 purple NCP.

Take a look, is that what you are looking for? If so I can send you some

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 06:02AM

Pearl-Ex is awesome stuff. I've achieved a nice tint, albeit somewhat "opaque", but havent been able to get the deep rich colorations I can get with (the stringy snotty acrylics I like so much) without screwing up the cure or adhesion with too much of the stuff. An underwrap of the right color helps, but sometimes thats not an option. I've got some TAP pigments as well, but havent found a wide range of colors (may not really need them). Not a recommendation, not even a suggestion, just random thoughts.

Date: November 01, 2006 06:28AM

Thanks for your help. Raymond, I saw your picture this morning. Sorry went to bed early lastnight. I did mix some very dark red with black and made a burgandy color that I believe will work just fine for the base coat that I am looking for. Thanks again for your offer.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 08:16AM

Ellis,

Mixing red and blue should produce purple.

Rog

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.rcmp-grc.gc.ca)
Date: November 01, 2006 11:26AM

Another good source for tinting pigments is your local paint store. If I remember correctly, this is the source that Randy uses for purple.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 12:07PM

Yes most hardware stores will sell/give you small amounts of their pigments but you usually need to provide your own small cottles. They are very brilliant colors

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.inwave.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 01:13PM

I use Winton Brand Oil Color from Michaels. The color name is Dioxazine Purple. It is in the oil painting section.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 03:02PM

Thanks, Ron! Never thought of that!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: November 01, 2006 04:41PM

Testors has a maroon/purple metal flake color.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 07:19PM

Sorry to chime in late; Josh is right about the Testor's, their "Purple Metallic" is the best maroon color I've used. It sure isn't purple, though!! Not even close. Stan sent me a bottle of it and I told him after using it for the first time that I couldn't believe they'd even put the name "purple" on the label.

Like Ron, I've used both the Winton's dioxazine purple and Graham's of the same name (no difference in the two brands that I noticed). Both are really nice colors.

I still lean towards the oil based, but realize that there is a place for the water based, even if it is stringy and snotty; a bit more challenging in application for me. I've even planned some tests to get different effects using the water based and USING that stringy, snotty characteristic to achieve results that probably would be rather difficult to get with oil based colors.

I still like the "hardware store" purple paint pigment a bit better just cuz it starts out nearly black in color and as the lighter (usually/nearly always white) is marbled in, all shades of purple are brought out. Leaving some of the original dark, dark purple in there gives the stark contrasts that I have learned to really like. The green and blue in these pigments is similarly very dark in color and gives these great contrasts.

Steven explained the Pearl Ex really well, although I think he meant to say that it's kind of translucent, not opaque. It doesn't cover very well. You kind of "see through it". Other than that, it's some awesome stuff, especially for highlights.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: November 02, 2006 05:01PM

My wife does oil painting and I have used several of her tubes of paint with good results. The variety you can get is astounding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster