I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide underwraps
Posted by: tony giacone (---.k12.ms.us)
Date: October 30, 2006 12:05PM

for a 6'6" heavy action bass rod that is giong to be used for worm and jig fishing is it a good idea to place a under wrap for the guides? or will it take some of the sensitivity away from the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide underwraps
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 30, 2006 12:11PM

Underwraps are for cosmetic reasons and are not needed on a bass rod. Personally, I wouldn't do it Weight is your enemy LOL!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: tony giacone (---.k12.ms.us)
Date: October 30, 2006 12:17PM

thank you i just wanted an opinion on this from someone who knows more about this than me.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: October 30, 2006 01:32PM

I concur, just more weight. Weight is much less of an issue for the big saltwater boat rods etc., but for any freshwater rod, underwraps are nothing but a performance detractor. Yep, even musky rods.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2006 03:12PM

I agree that underwraps are not nessisary and are only
good for astetic reasons.

Many will disagree with me though as I say that on a heavy power
bass rod the added weight is not going to affect performance to a
degree that you will notice. If you want to underwrap the guides.
Go for it.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: October 30, 2006 04:27PM

For whatever my opinion is worth, I think that underwraps are useful on heavier rods that are going to be handled roughly. I build mostly surf rods, and when you add up the weight of the blank, guides, grips, reel seat, reel, etc., I can't see how whatever extra weight 8 or 10 underwraps will add is going to diminish performance in any way. On lighter rods, I can see the difference the weight might make, but not on the sticks that I build most of the time.

My impression reading this board -- and I want to stress that this is a general impression, not a comment on any specific individual -- is that most guys who build and fish their own rods treat them the way they would treat a 1930 Duesenberg J - very carefully and gingerly. I can understand why, after putting so much effort into designing and building a beautiful and functional fishing tool, one would feel this way, but I definitely do not share that feeling.

I do almost all of my fishing in the Jersey surf, and most of my surfcasting at night, and invariably my gear gets dunked in the suds, dropped in the sand, banged against rocks and other stuff, and otherwise treated roughly. I do not do this on purpose, but I recognize that it is a consequence of the way that I like to fish. In fact, after I got into building my own custom rods, I realized with great excitement that in addition to designing a rod that would work better for me, I could also design rods for maximum durability. There is nothing worse than having to leave great fishing because of equipment failure, and as a result I'm going to use whatever rodbuilding skills I possess to minimize the possibility of that, at least as it concerns my fishing rods.

As a result, I wholeheartedly endorse underwraps for the kind of fishing I do, and wouldn't build a surf stick any other way. My experiences have taught me that an underwrap of A thread, and an overwrap of D thread, works well for me, and does result in more durable stick that is worth the tradeoff of whatever extra weight come along with it.

But there is an important distinction to be made here, and that is that I like what I like because I have experimented and found what works for me. Do not use (or choose not to use) an underwrap because of what someone here says; do some experimenting and see what works best for you. You'll end up with a much better rod that you'll enjoy fishing with much more, and you'll have picked up some valuable rodbuilding knowledge and skills along the way.

Sorry for the rant. I didn't mean for this to be so long when I started...

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 30, 2006 09:41PM

I am with you on this Chris.

I too fish the Rocks and Sand of the (west) coast and am tought on gear. That is why I build cheaply, build strong, and rebuild often on my personal gear. It is also why most of my personal gear looks like it was wrapped by someone on a bad acid trip with the funky color combinations I am always testing out. One way to guarantee also that my personal gear will likely never be stolen.

LOL

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster