I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pac Bay Wrapper
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 07:16PM

Has anyone figured out a method to keeping a rod in the chuck on the Pac Bay Wrapper??? As it stands now I pretty much have a $300 table decoration. I have the "new/improved chuck and it's still pretty much a hit & miss adventure where, more often than not, the chuck opens with a rod turning in it which unless caught in time, results in a disaster. I just came from the shop where I found a rod which had been drying, out of the chuck and a mess. I generally hand turn, this reinforces why!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2006 08:37AM by Mike Barkley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Tackle Wrapper
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.203.4.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 07:48PM

Mike--I have the same wrapper as you only mine is the Rod Smith. Have the improved chuck .
Added that about a year ago. However I have not had any problems with mine.

But I think after what you said , I'm going to put a plastic wire tie on it just as a precaution. I do leave my Rod room at times when I have a Rod turning .I don't think I would be to happy to come back and find that the chuck had loosend up. You might want to try the wire tie..

Good Luck <<<< DON AT HOBBY RODS >>>>

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 07:53PM

Don't have an Amtak but would suppose the are all very similar. The Pac Bay with the metal chuck upgrade that I have will do the same thing if you are tightening the chuck on a hard surface and the wheels are sticking a litttle. The way that I stop that from happening is to wrap the area to be tightened down on with some soft backed tape like duct tape - a few wraps will give a cushion and some bite. Check the wheels on all the bottom rollers for sticking and get them all very free. I had the same problem trying to chuck a aluminum butt cap on off shore stuff until I started wrapping. I wish they could figure out a way to install a slip in tapered locking disk to keep them from backing off. Maybe Roger will have a dream and come up with what is needed. John Anderson will have to see this thread and tell him about it.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 08:07PM

I have two dryers with those chucks. I use 1/2" masking tape and just go around the teeth once the rod is in place - it takes 2 secs to secure it and 2 secs to undo it. I am going to buy a FC 4X dryer soon and shoot both of these things! LOL

Date: October 27, 2006 08:11PM

It really irritates me that with a "new and improved" upgrade and $300, you meed to use duct tape to make it work right!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 08:19PM

I have the older model with the old chuck and use a hose clamp as added security, now I never have to worry.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Date: October 27, 2006 08:26PM

Ray,
Where do you put the hose clamp? Around the jaws themselves or covering both the "locking" wheels (or whatever they are called) so they can't turn.?

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 08:28PM

Mike I am not using duck tape on the machine - on the surface of a slick rod butt.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 09:12PM

The best rod chuck that I've ever used and the only chuck that I've never had fail is the Streamside Designs Rod Chuck. The rod is secured to the chuck with rubber bands which have plenty of grip. An Office 'blank' rubber band ball lasts a long, long time. I had a Pac Bay self centering chuck and I had nothing but trouble with it and tossed it. If you can't find one on the left I'll tell you where I bought mine. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 09:12PM

If you don't like duct tape..use electrical tape or a hose clamp. You get what you pay for.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 10:51PM

Mike,
I had the same irritating problem with my American Tackle Wrapper. It gets really bad with the heavier SW blanks. I bit the bullet and bought the Renzetti. My AT wrapper now sits in a corner collecting dust.

Date: October 27, 2006 10:56PM

I agree on the Streamside. I have one and wish I had more. I don't think that they are available any more. I know Mudhole no longer carries them. My complaint though is with a wrapper lathe chuck

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 28, 2006 03:34AM

For drying, I have a microwave oven motor, the one that turns the turntable in the oven. The motor is wired up to a switch and power cable which just plugs into the electrical socket. I have a large diameter piece of PVC which I use to mount the butt of the rod into. If it needs some packing I just use some masking tape to add to the diameter of the butt of the rod. When I begin applying my finish I just hit the switch and away it goes. The set up turn at the perfect pace for applying the finish and is very secure. I have had the same motor running now for about 5 years. If it ever fails (I hope not), a new motor from a repair shop costs about $5.

Posted by: Jim Quiett (69.136.175.---)
Date: October 28, 2006 04:05AM

Mike,
the Streamside Chuck is available from Cabela's.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 07:59AM

I am still using the Flex Coat chucks that I bought over 25 years ago., never had a rod fall out of one.

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 08:19AM

After getting frustrated at the same problem, I had a machinist turn down a chuck for me (all stainless steel) and finally got a heavy duty chuck with four teeth that closed down gently, taped the rod butt for better gripping and have had no problems since. I had submitted some pictures of this some time ago, but it is worth finding a machinist who can do the job. It is worth the effort.
Sanford

Re: Pac Bay Wrapper
Date: October 28, 2006 08:39AM

Oops!! I really feel stupid! It's a Pac Bay, NOT an American Tackle Wrapper. I apologize to American Tackle, but none the less, it's the same upgrade chuck and the problem is still there.

I do want to point out that I'm not bashing American Tackle or Pac Bay. They are both good companies and I use a lot of their products. My problem is with the wrapper and I doubt that they have anything to do with the actual design, since the AmTac, Pac Bay and Batson wrappers are pretty much the same and probably made by the same factory and private labeled

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2006 09:05AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 09:09AM

I guess I've just been lucky. I have the upgraded Pac Bay chuck on my home built wrapper and have never had a problem, even at high speed. The wrapper motor is a "counter-clockwise" turning Dayton motor (1/10 HP) and the tread comes to the blank from the top instead of the bottom.

Could the direction of motor rotation be part of the problem??

Stan

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.134.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 11:16AM

I don't have this chuck, but I think Stan is right. From what I learned in Charlotte this past February, this wrapper rotates the wrong way for the way the chuck is threaded, and it tends to work itself loose. One of the builders there (Ken Preston, I think) had modified his by drilling and tapping a little hole, so he could tighten a screw and hold the chuck secure.
I agree, though - you shouldn't have to do something like this on such an expensive tool. True, it is less money than a Renzetti, but it still should be completely functional for this much money.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 11:33AM

Not to hijack this thread - but is the chuck used on the power wrapper the same as on the stand alone dryer unit? I've been thinking about getting one of these, thinking that the self-centering chuck would give me better finish results than my standard "built at home" PVC chuck with threaded thumbscrews. If I'm understanding right, there is a pretty significant problem with these chucks loosening up?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster