I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help identifying an old spinning rod
Posted by: Jeff Stegner (---.kansas-04rh16rt.mo.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 12:11PM

lost an old friend....long story short.....some lucky fish is swimming around Logan Martin dragging a 6' appendage!

Bought the rod probably back in the late 80's/early 90's at a garage sale. Gloss finish over a dark grey or black color. EVA handle with no foregrip...the reelseat was unique (at least to me). Rod diameter at the seat was extremely large, easily 1" or larger and tapered down quickly to 'normal' before the first guide.

The seat had a built-in hood that the front reelfoot slid in to. And a threaded uplocking collar for the rear reelfoot. The reelseat looked to be more or less a 'plate' that was bonded to the rod (ie. it didn't encircle the entire rod diameter, only the lower 1/3 or so) So while you were holding the rod, your palm was resting on the blank itself, remember the blank diameter is extremely large in this area.

Interesting note. I had stripped off all the old yuckie guides to be replaced with better quality guides and ended up stripping ALL of the finish off, from tip to reelseat. There was some thread wraps about 3/4 distance between the reelseat and first guide. When I stripped these off it was apparent the rod was two-pieced. Not meant to be taken apart (the joint had been wrapped and finished) but clearly a two-piece design joined together by an internal plug.

Anyways, at the time I bought it, the decals/stickers had been peeled off (leaving a gummy/sticky residue that I removed with alcohol). No idea what brand it was. Nice limber tip action with plenty of backbone in the lower 1/3rd. Tossed everything from wacky finesse worms, senkos, shaky heads, small shad raps, even crappie jigs.

Does this description ring a bell with anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help identifying an old spinning rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2006 01:32PM

Shimano built the first of these, I think. Can't remember the exact name but they became very popular for a short while. Perhaps somebody can come up with the rod series name. I just can't quite remember it at the moment.

Posted by: James Roper (---.att.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 09:33PM

Shimano called this rod model a BullWhip. I have one that is broken about halfway up the blank. Bought it at Walmart may years ago.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 09:34PM

I have the casting rod of that lineof rods, It's called a Speedmaster. Very sleek and light. Great for topwater lures.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: October 29, 2006 02:15PM

Cabela's also had a line of these type rods also along with the Shimanos listed above. I had a medium 6 ft pistol grip casting Speedmaster for many years that I taught others to use a casting reel on. One of my students that was an especially avid angler talked me out of it along with the Bantam 101 reel some years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster