I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ADHESIVE FOR TIP TOPS
Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: October 26, 2006 09:52AM

I have been using for a number of years flex coat 5 minute epoxy for tip top application, and have started using the flex coat glue stick. I am in the process of building ice rods with tip size of 2.5 and the glue stick won't hold. So I am forced to use the 2 part flex coat epoxy. It works fine, but I really am tired of mixing 1 drop of each bottle to affix one top or if I am lucky 2 tops. My question is for you people what do you use for tops. I really would like to use a ready to use glue that is very dependable without having to mix all the time. Looking for some suggestions on adhesives.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ADHESIVE FOR TIP TOPS
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: October 26, 2006 11:42AM

I know a few guys that use a single foot guide as the tip instead of the standard tip. Just wrap it, no glue at all.

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.meadwestvaco.com)
Date: October 26, 2006 11:42AM

Dear Galen,

Take the extra time to mix up and use a good grade of epoxy for your tip tops and everything else for that matter. A few extra minutes at the beginning can prevent a lot of extra minutes when you have to do it over.

I use the Trondak U-40 Rod Bond because it stays where you put it and as the manufacturer states, remains flexible even through full cure.
It is a 50/50 mix with some leeway and is the best I have ever used. Small metal measuring spoons are what I use to get the proprtions right.

Always slightly rough-up and then degrease the tip of the blank before applying the epoxy for positive adhesion.

I never use a fast setting epoxy because the best bonds come from the slower curing epoxies. When dealing with epoxies I don't feel one should always be in a hurry to get the parts right - you can't rush quality.

Charlie
TightLineRods@aol.com

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 01:08PM

I use to use hot melt but while Salmon fishing this fall, I looked up at my rod tip and saw it facing 90 degrees to the side. Although it survived the rest of the trip I expoxied it in place when I got home.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 26, 2006 01:22PM

The setting time of an epoxy has nothing to do with the strength of the bond according to Ralph Oquinn, an epoxy formulater with well known credentials (see his article on "Myths in Rodbuilding in the current issue of Rodmaker).
I am an avid user of Rod Bond but am really leery of using it on a tip top because it is so good. My repair business is probably 75 percent replacing tip tops (don't laugh, it gets me to the big show every year) If they were rodbonded on, I think that I would probably have to shorten the rods an inch or so. With hot melt or 5 min epoxy (I prefer a 5 min epoxy), A little heat and they're off!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 02:23PM

I've used both hot-melt adhesive and 5 min epoxy and much prefer the 5 min epoxy.

Stan

Posted by: john, schoeberl (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 03:28PM

I have used hot melt glue for 20 years.I have had the eye pop out on the tip many times from the rod hitting the deck or other careless anglers. With the hot melt glue you can fix it right there no problems and get back to fishing. I always keep a stick of glue, extra tips and a lighter in my box just for that reason. When you are on multi day trips and in the bite of a life time you want to be able to fix it right there on the spot. Even for you out on the ice it seems you would want to be able to fix it rigfht there. You may want to go up a tip size so you can get more glue between the tip and the blank so you can get a better bond. Good luck and stay warm.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 03:45PM

I used fast setting epoxy for years, then decided to try the hot melt type of tip-top adhesive. I was sorry I did when rods began being returned to me for rotated tip tops. Many anglers around here carry their gear in their trucks, whose interiors can reach blistering temps in the summer. Hot enough to soften and melt the tip top adhesive. Bummer. Besides being embarrassing it was also a big waste of time. In no time the hot melt adhesive was in the trash.

Lou

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 04:41PM

Stay with the 5-minute. I've never thought about mixing it a drop at a time. I always just did a glob, use what I needed for the top, find a FAST odd job to use the rest or just throw it away. I'm still using the same small bottles afer three years or so. After a while I just start thinking the stuff is free!

Jay

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: October 27, 2006 02:35PM

Thanks for the input from you all. I use rod bond for the cork handles, and ring glue up, and stabilize wood reel inserts. Best stuff that I have ever used. The only reason that I mentioned about using an alternative to 5 minute epoxy is that I am in the process of building about 45 ice rods for a show, and time is really important. I use cork butts, with stabilized wood for the inserts, cork foregripssand colored burl cork for each, and various colored guides. Each and every step, with the cork, glueing, to the cork sanding and turning the reel seats and last the finish, really eats up time. I have been doing things in stages, but there is a lot of slack time as I have a full time job too! So just looking for a short cut if there was one. I like the 5 minute epoxy, just don't like the fuss it is to glue the tops.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster