I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap direction
Posted by: Chris Means (---.hu.sd.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 12:12PM

Does it matter which direction your guides are rotating?

Let's fish,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap direction
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: October 25, 2006 12:14PM

Yes, You want your guides to rotate to the side the handle of the reel is going to be on. Hope this helps Scott

Posted by: Chris Means (---.hu.sd.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 12:20PM

Why do you want this, performance or looks or?

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 12:23PM

No effect on performance but helps protect the bumper guide when in rod locker or on the deck of a bass boat

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 12:37PM

Either side will work...no performance value at all. Small rods that will lay on the deck of a boat can benefit from the spiral rotating to the right...the side the handle is on. The handle will act like crash bars on a Harley. The handle will help keep the sideways guides off the deck some. For trolling rods that don't get laid down I always spiral to the left. This simply aids in the level winding of the line back onto the reel. Just seems easier on the thumb.

Either way will work. Nothing is set in stone.

Jay

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 01:28PM

The wrap MUST go to the LEFT in the Northern Hemisphere and to the RIGHT in the Southern Hemisphere for the Cornilious Effect to harmoniously work its magic and aide in this free flowing half swirl. NOTE you may only use a traditional over-the-top casting rod on the Equator. The Handle theroy is a good bet, along with which side you strap down your rod on the deck of your boat. You'd want the bumper guide/guides to be up.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: October 25, 2006 03:34PM

Chris,

What about the Orient? The disciplines of Fung-Shwea (sorry for the spelling) would have to be considered don't you think?

LOL!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 04:18PM

Ray:

ABSO..........LUTELY. See, I was talking North to south orientations and all points inbetween, Your talking about east to west, and oriental-a-ions well beyond the far east, and my mind is not capable of handling such intricate multi-conceptual thought processes all at once, especiallty here in the Midwest a mere stones throw from the middle east which must be Indiana. (I think thats how it works or should be) but I hear in that Wang Chung fung-le type swaying; thewre are protocols like you must put the fish decal on so it is coming to you otherwise the fish and your luck just swim away from you and its a bad fish karma thing..OOOOooooppppps I mentioned Karma yet another unseen factor I can't comprehend along with all the others...must go for asprin now.

Posted by: Alan M. Smith (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 06:46PM

You guy's are on a ROLL now!!!,I can here the drummer now...TA...TA..DA ...BOOM.....Thank's and goodnite everybody(In your best Rodney Dangerfield voice).....Alan

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 09:00PM

Here's your Sign!

Now Get 'Er Done!

Sorry....I am a Blue Collar Rodbuilder!

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 09:07PM

if your fish'in rod is heavy cane with one guide, a tip top, and a beer can for a reel, you might be a redneck!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster