I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Residual Finish on a Fiberglass Rod
Posted by: Craig Hardt (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2006 11:15PM

As a first project to practice wrapping guides I have removed the guides from an 40+ year old 6.5' solid fiberglass spinning rod. The rod has seen a lot of wear/tear with the original blue finish looking pretty sorry on the tip section and the wraps were failing but the reel seat and cork grips are in good shape.

Thanks to the great posts on this board I've been searching through my plan is to refinish the blank with tinted Permagloss using pigments from TAP Plastics so am pretty set on that procedure. My question is around the old finish which is very thin and I'm guessing is a type of paint (and I'm quickly learning why it is easier to just start with a new blank...).

I have carefully scraped any residue on top of the finish with a dull xacto blade but the finish itself takes quite a bit of pressure to remove via scraping so I'm concerned that I'll scrape away blank material trying to get every last bit of the old finish. After several passes with the 000 grade 3M pad the surface is nice and smooth but most of the finish is left. Do I get more aggressive with rougher scouring or call it good and apply the tinted Peragloss since it will be an opaque coating? My gut is telling me to just go for putting on the new finish and see what happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2006 11:44PM by Craig Hardt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Residual Finish on a Fiberglass Rod
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 12:17AM

If the intent is to just practice, then more passes with various grits will eventually take the finish off, but as has been mentioned a number of times in different posts, you want to be super careful NOT to break into the finish of the actual structure of the rod.

If the intent is to end up with a refurbished stick with as little risk as possible, then just go ahead and put the tint coat over it.

My buddy is as good as they come with a razor blade, and we will take an inexpensive rod that we got for use on the piers, here on the Carolina coast, after the guides have started to corrode from the salt, and we'll strip it down to the raw rod and then refinish it with a coat of rod varnish or spar varnish, and maybe include a tint as well. We've only actually scraped the skin of one rod, and of course that immediately became a source of reamers and grip extensions.

- hope that helps
Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 12:36AM

As your blank is SOLID glass and not a hollow tube with walls I would bet you could get
as agressive as you want ( within reason) and not hurt it.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 24, 2006 08:15AM

I've been able to remove finishes with the citrus based paint removers without damaging the blank. It sometimes takes multiple applications.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 08:34AM

Ditto on the previous two posts. Solid glass blanks are pretty tough. I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the blank. The citrus type paint removers would probably work as well. Depending on what you have and what color you're putting over it, just painting over the old finish might work out just fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2006 08:35AM by Rob Matarazzo.

Posted by: Craig Hardt (---.safeco.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 09:32AM

Thank you to everyone for explaining the options available and the advice on the toughness of the solid glass blank. Being a practice piece I'll probably test most if not all of these technique before applying the new finish as a learning experience.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2006 09:48AM

Scraping doesn't hurt, but sanding can.

If the current finish is nice and smooth, and well "stuck" then I'd go ahead with the new coating. Do remember though that the new coating will be affixed to the old one, so if the old one is lifting or peeling it's going to lift and peel the new with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster