I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NARMCO Conolon Rods
Posted by: John Jolley (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 22, 2006 06:07PM

I found a vintage NARMCO Conolon Catalina 1115 Saltwater Surf Rod and was wondering if anyone had an old catalog that could tell me anything about this rod.

It was made in Costa Mesa, California, by Narmco Inc. Pat. Pend. Apparently this company invented the fiber glass rods.

It's about 11 feet long, conventional guides, full cork grip. It's a really nice rod in great shape. I want to find an old Ocean City Inductor reel for it and hang it in the living room.

This was all I was able to find on the internet about NARMCO.

(snip)

I recently obtained a catalog, circa 1950s, on Conolon rods and have been able to find some interesting info about the company in it. Conolon was made by NARMCO Conolon Co. I believe NARMCO is an acronym for National Rod Manufacturing Company. At one time the company was located at 636 West 17th Street, Costa Mesa, CA. During the 1950s, Conolon rods were quite popular on the west coast perhaps due to being manufactured in Costa Mesa, CA. This quote from the President of Narmco-Conolon, Frank Brownson, printed in the catalog provides some insight into the beginnings of the company:

It is seldom that anyone has an opportunity to introduce a really new and fresh idea - one that differs sharply from anything ever presented in the past.

Soon after World War II Narmco was fortunately able to introduce the first tubular fiberglass fishing rod invented by Dr. Glenn G. Havens, noted physicist and head of Narmco Research.

It was quite a thrill and completely revolutionized the fishing rod industry, for up to that time, all fishing rods were either wood, bamboo, or steel.

Today there are no wooden rods - and more than 95% of all fishing rods sold are glass rods. Split bamboo and metal combined account for only 4.66% of all remaining rods.

Quite a revolution, wouldn't you say?

Today history is repeating itself because once again we have the pleasure of introducing another revolutionary concept in fishing rods...an absolutely new and highly unusual rod material called Missilite.

Strangely enough each of these notable rod advancements resulted directly from research involving our nation's defense. The first tubular fiber glass rod was developed from research on lightweight materials developed for World War II aircraft - and this newest revolution in rods...Missilite from which the shafts of Conolon rods are made...has resulted directly from Narmco's research in the development of materials for guided missiles.

The three words ..."NEW"..."DIFFERENT" and "EXCLUSIVE" are trite and often overworked - but they are the only ones that adequately describe the features of our new Conolon fishing rods.

We are, of course, very happy to be years ahead by presenting "another fishing rod first." You too can be "years ahead" by selecting a new Conolon Missilite Rod which will be the source of much pleasure for you in the years to come.

(snip)

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
John Jolley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NARMCO Conolon Rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2006 09:38PM

Several companies claim to have introduced the world's first fiberglass rods. This would have been in the early 1950's and predates me by just a couple or three years so I can't really say who was first or who wasn't. Narmco might well have been first for all I know.

Keep digging. More information on the company is bound to be available somewhere.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 22, 2006 09:50PM

I have stripped down and am preparing to rebuild a 9' Conolon rod. It was my father's salmon rod in the 60's. The first rod I ever stripped that had a factory aluminum handle extension.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2006 10:02PM

Garcia acquired Conolon sometime in the 1960's or thereabouts. Browning got Silflex in the early 1970's.

Posted by: Eugene Rehberg (---.143.62.124.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: October 23, 2006 01:17AM

I received a Conolon fly rod and south bend reel for graduation in 1950, as did my fishing friend. We always thought it was a Garcia Conolon. He has still got his and will check to see the name on it.................more later.................Gene PS the rods were Lt. brown fiberglass, with blue windings..............9ft long , and hgh wt.................G

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: October 23, 2006 03:05PM

On page 2 of the Original TECHNICAL MANUAL. The CONOLON Corporation..
History of Glass Fishing Rods:
Glass fishing rods are manufactured by processing a fiberglass material impregnated with a plastic known as phenolic resin. This resin impregnated fiberglass which possesses a unique combination of properties differing from all other materials, first evolved in the early 1940's. After intense research during this period by US aircraft industries and National Research and MFG Co. of National City, California, the proper combination of fibergass and plastic was discovered and a new industry was born.
As a result of this development in the Early 1940's, National Research and MFG. Co later named Narmco began production of resin impregnated fiberglass which was named Conolon. This new material made possible the manufacture of essential aircraft parts requiring lightweight, great strength, and the ability to withstand extreme changes in tempertures and humidity.
When world War 2 ended, aircraft production was sharply curtailed and Conolon was released for commercial use. When markets were explored for this material, it was discovered that resin impregnated fiberglass could be processed into glass fishing rods. Stronger and more flexible than steel or wood, glass rods soon took over the market. National Research and MFG. Co became Narmco Inc and produced glass fishing rods for several yeras under that name. Narmco eventually sold controlling interest to Telecomputing Inc., who later sold the assets of the glass rod business to Garcia Corporation, Then the Conolon Corporation was formed.
All of this information came right out of the pages of the Conolon Corporation " Technical Manual". It is very outdated compared to where the industry is today. But this is where it started and to have a document such as this is kinda Cool. It contains the following info:
Introduction & Discription:Purpose, Scope, History of Glass Fishing Rods, Description of Blank Process, Fiberglass Material, Resin System, B-Stage Material, Equipment Required & Layout.
Manufacture Of Glass Fishing Rod Blanks: Introduction, Reference Material, Equipment Required, Materials Required, Receiving Inspection, Blank Process, Quality Control, Manufacturing Notes.
And so much more. I will bring a copy of this document with me to the Big Show in NC next year if anyone is further interested..

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
batson@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Posted by: Wayne Real (---.lnse3.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 31, 2014 09:37PM

Hi John

Joined the forum, so I could write to you (and interested others)

Would love to talk more re Narmco and who/when they developed relationship with ABU and Garcia companies.
I am tracing the evolution of Record/ABU rods for my website

[www.realsreels.com]

I hope you enjoy it and can help fill me in with some more infomation and some early images/scans of anything to do with the topic.

Going around in circles with Google searches. Need some knowledgeable people to share with me.
All help acknowledged of course.

I also believe the first rods A.B.Urfabriken produced were steel ( Stalspo in Swedish) They were made by Sanviken steelwork in Sweden I think)

I have been told the very first fibreglass rods they offered were blanks from Sportex of West Germany around the very early 50's.

Any help, no matter how seemingly insignificant , would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards from Australis
TL
Wayne Real
www.realsreels.com

Posted by: Wayne Real (---.lnse3.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 01, 2014 01:15AM

Hi Bill
Would love to have access to the Conolon manual too.
Have you scanned and put it on the web anywhere.
Always happy to host it on realsreels.com for you if you wish.
Seeking to find whether ABU dealt with Sportex before Conolon or vice versa.
Look forward to hearing from you

Wayne Real
abuadmiral @ gmail dot com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster