I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic thread - What brand Pros & Cons ??
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.205.196.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 08:16PM

What type of Metallic thread do you all use for trim or small tag wraps ?

I have such a problem with using Metallic for trim wraps that I'm about to the end of my wits, and about to stop doing Metallic trim and tag wraps.

I usually do 1/16" wraps and by the time I do a complete turn on my bench stool it has loosened or has already popped loose.

I'm using open spool with spring tension on the spool, I feel as thought I have the right tension,
So that makes me believe that there might be a different type or brand that might be used for just trim / tag wraps?

Opinions please and thanks in advance<<< DON >>>

AT HOBBY RODS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2006 08:18PM by Donald Newenhouse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic thread - What brand Pros & Cons ??
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 08:32PM

I like the Sulky Metallics, they seem a little stronger and the foil on them doesn't tear so easily.

Try this.....leave BOTH tag ends uncut until, your wrap is finished, grab both tag ends once you have cut the last one (coming from the spool) and pull them both to tighten the trim wrap, then trim both tag ends off.

DR

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 09:07PM

Funny youshould ask that question!! I was just logging on too regiter my opinion on the same subject. a few weeks ago I went to a open house at a supplier for ourr industry. While there I was talking to some fellow builders who remarked about how good the sulky thread was in the Renzetti lathe. Thats been a big problem for me as when i use metalic thread in my renzetti it peels the metal off causing a mess. As of now i have used guidbrod metal thread but NEVER again. The sulky is a pleasure to use. I am so sold I spent 400 bucks and bought all new thread. The metalic doesn't peel or flake and is uniform and round and stronger yet thinner. The only negative I would give sulky thread and its something I can live with is there is no rating for the thickness of the thread (ie size a b c d etc.). Also the spools are many in a odd size but if you have say a renzetti lathe you will need the oversize spool atachment which is no big deal.. good luck any ,more help let me know Don. Billy B.

Posted by: Brian Clark (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 10:24PM

Do you use the metallics for your main wrap or for trim rings only. You are right. Sulky does have a great color selection. I was so impressed, I ordered five spools online

Brian Clark

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 11:22PM

Gudebode HT Mettalics are as strong a nlyon sz "A" so they can be used as mainfield colors. Gold 9000 is too pale in flat light you can't tell it from Silver , stick with ole gold 9004 or glitzy gold 9009...9004 matches most gold hardware and guide frames.
Lots of time mettalics flake because the thread tensioner tensions the thread not the spool itself. as for unraveling; a 1/16th of an inch ought to hold well. I do a couple of things. I place my pull loop under the starter wrap ( pull made of spiderwire 5# test 1# dia and finer than sz "A" thread doubled up so the over wraps grip better) when I start out, and make sure the pull is toward you and the starter tag end is clse to the pull BUT AWAY FROM YOU, otherwise when you pull the pull through you don't drag the securing starter tag end with it. (if the other way round) I also cut the securing starter tag end off one wrap prior to pulling the tag end through so it covers the securing starter tag end.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 21, 2006 11:33PM

I use Gudebrod and Sulky. Sulky is really nice stuff and easier to work with. I use it for full guide wraps as well as trim/tag wraps. Put a dab of CP on the trim band to hold it in place before you cut tag ends

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2006 11:35PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: October 22, 2006 08:27AM

Myself, I use mostly Madeira threads now, and like their selection of metalics they have.

Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.1dial.com)
Date: October 22, 2006 10:29AM

I have been using Gudebrod Size A Metallic on all my rods. I even use it for the 1/16" wraps with no problem. I use 6lb. fireline for the pull through loops since it is a slicker type line it pulls through with ease without damaging the outer foil on metallic threads.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 22, 2006 07:44PM

Gudebrod size A metallic with no problems. I tape on end, trap the pull through loop under the thread, then do my trim wrap, cut the thread, pass through loop, and pull under. I adjust the trim band as needed, THEN cut the ends flush with the trim band with a fresh straght-edge razor. I've done some really narrow trim bands this way with no problems.

Lou

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.206.6.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 22, 2006 08:06PM

Thank you all for the feed back - going to try that Sulky thread and a dab of cp.

Good evening<<<< DON >>>

Posted by: Patrick Avelino (---.scif.com)
Date: October 23, 2006 11:41AM

A few years back, I wrapped a couple of rods with Gudebrod metallic threads as an underwrap and mainfield. Unfortunately, on each of those rods, the darker colors have faded to an off-gray color.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 07:36AM

In case anyone wants to try something new. We now have some Japanese Mettalic thread in stock. It's really nice and the price is reasonable.

Any questions of interest please call me, or e-mail for prices and colors. I'm still working on the color chart, but they are pretty standard colors with a few interesting one.

Kind Regards,

Peter Maltby
866-285-0673 Toll Free
pmaltby@ackfishing.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster