I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cricket in the rod room.
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 19, 2006 01:56AM

You knoq I am a Northerh boy so I know nothing about CRICKETS except I have been told the Southern boys used them for alarms. So when the MOOMSHINE COPS came around they stopped chirping. I also heard many a shinner got away using this system. But if you want to get rideof them I suggest you make a nice custom rod put finish on it and every creepy crawling flying thing well be attracted to your finish by day break. Then all you have to do is give it a second coatto encapsulate them and now you have a bugger of a rod :))
Good Wraps Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 19, 2006 03:30PM

This is what I love about this forum. The crazy silliness that goes on. I sure needed this. Humor soothes the hurting soul!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 03:33AM

Hey we are the sane ones, the crazy ones don't build rods. By they way William. I am known as the best speller on thissite ::)). Just ask Tom or anyone that has been here for more than 2 years
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: October 20, 2006 08:59PM

I 'd start with Dan Craft's new 1-weight. Probly use REC single-foots, all cork reelseat with sliding rings. Long,long leader (at least 12'), tapered to 7x. No. 28 potatoe fly. Try for a drag-free drift,and bow to him if he jumps. Tight lines. Barry

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 21, 2006 12:47PM

Jesse -

Forms of PHYSICAL Warfare:
-- SQUASHING may still be too hazardous for your own balance.
-- TRAPPING is better, and works 24/7. Doesn't RAID still make those wonderful little "Roach Motels" - "Bugs check in, but they don't check out"? Once even a thumb size water-bug gets one foot stuck on that gluey floor, they are STUCK until they die of exhaustion. A fitting end to such a pest.
-- I'd stay away from projectile extermination. You may break a window or a light fixture on the richochet.

Forms of CHEMICAL Warfare:
-- Windex, Glass Plus or one of their spray bottles filled with 70% IsoPropyl Alcohol will kill ANY insect if you get a DIRECT HIT on them that goes UNDER their wings and reaches their bodies (thorax). Insects don't have lungs & nostrils like a frog. Insects breathe air in thru tiny little rows of air tubes in their bodies that have tiny holes at the surface of their outer body. The bugs can swim in water because the water's SURFACE TENSION is so great that the WATER can NOT enter into the tiny air capillary by iself. ... But the soaps or detergents or the alcohols BREAK the SURFACE TENSION, and allow that water and cleaning chemical to ENTER & FILL the AIR TUBES and DROWN the little bugger in just a few seconds.

-- By using IPA or a quality spray window cleaner as your chemical weapon of choice, your over-spray will clean up very easily, and clean up the bug mess when you grab / smush the cricket, too. Also, using an alcohol (IPA or De-NA) virtually eliminates the concern about aerosol or liquid contact contamination, because the alcohol & little bit of water will soon evaporate.

I stopped using oil-based indoor bug sprays ~ 7 years ago when I first read this strategy, as suggested by someone discussing how to use soaps to eradicate insect pests in a garden, ... (or something like that). Once I realized how it worked, that was the end of using all those bug sprays that stain wood, dis-color paint, and stink so bad they almost kill you in the process.

Better living thru better chemistry, ... Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster