I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Open Runner
Posted by: martin ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: October 17, 2006 09:59PM

While on an off shore fishing trip this week I became intrigued by Alvey Rods and reels. I think I'm going to build a rod and buy a reel. Does anyone have a source for "open runners"? Any advice for building the rod? Anyone have an Alvey reel they want to sell?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Open Runner
Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: October 17, 2006 11:20PM

Martin,

For a source of open runners, click on the link on the left for The Rod Works. They are based here in Australia and Ross will have those open runners.

Have a look at the alvey website for more details regarding the different reels. www.alvey.com.au - for the Australian website and www.alveyusa.com for the US version.

Take a look at the 6500BCV model as its a very good all-rounder. Its nice and light too with the cross drilled holes and graphite backplate. The lever drag is nice to use also.

Keep in mind that the alvey reel diameter is huge compared to a spinning rod, and you will need to use a large stripper guide. Personally I don't like nor use the large 70mm wire guides that were/are the norm in Australia, but instead I use a high mount 40mm guide instead. I also don't place this guide at the half way point (as suggested on the alvey web site), but have a bit closer to the reel, and I can still get great distances out of a cast.

In terms of buying an alvey, there are plenty of online tackle stores from Australia that will be happy to get them to you. The 6500BCV model I was referring to earlier costs around the $100 AUD mark (not including shipping).

Let me know if you need any more information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2006 05:44AM by Michael Shea.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (60.227.150.---)
Date: October 18, 2006 03:51AM

I notice them on the Cabela's if your after a new one,don't ask me about drilled spool and graphite my twenty fiive year old Alvey is still going strong.even fish with my grandads reel old reel occasionly.
As Michael said the high 40mm guide is the way to go I've had them on a few surf rods
Regards Charlie

Posted by: Michael Shea (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 18, 2006 05:52AM

Hey Charles,

Don't get me wrong about the older alvey's. I've still got a few bakelite alveys (although they've seen better days) and the "newer" fibreglass and steel backplate alveys. It's just when I'm standing in the surf for a few hours straight, the lighter the gear the better for me.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 05:26PM

An open runner comes with each new Alvey reel as well as a general layout for guides. They are not spaced like conventional spinners. The stripper guide goes all the way out to at least the half way point between the tip and reel. The open runner goes near the reel to guide the line on to the reel.
As far as the stripper guide is concerned, a common misconception is that a huge stripper is needed (40mm). If too large of a stripper guide is used the line will slap and you will lose distance.
Alvey's are heavy so, you can get a work out without even catching anything.
They have withstood punishment that would destroy lesser made equipment.
Alvey's are tanks and that is why I chose them over japanese stuff. The beach is not the place to have reel disassembly class because of sand intrusion and they take the harsh conditions very well.
They are the kind of reel that people either love or hate but no one seems to be in between.

I must also confess that since I have started fishing my VanStaal, the Alvey's spend a lot of time in the corner.

Send me an email if you would like to know more

Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: October 18, 2006 08:57PM

Curtis,

I disagree that a 40mm stripper guide is too large IF we are talking about a standard 12-13ft surf rod that we typically use here. I personally wouldnt go any smaller than a 40 for the standard 6-6.5" diameter alveys. Of course, if we are talking about using a 4-5" alvey on a 8-10ft estuary rod, then yes 40mm is a little on the large size and probably a 30mm would be the go (I dont make any surf rods for alveys smaller than 12ft so I wouldnt really know).

Interesting that you note that the open runner comes with the Alvey reel. Looking at your IP address, I assume you are in Florida? I guess only the American Alveys come with this as Ive just purchased an alvey and it didnt come with one.

I would love to have one of those Van Staal spinning reels, but they cost a little too much for use in the surf (I know they are built tough, but at their cost, Id hate to get any sand on it)

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2006 06:58AM

In the past I would order my Alvey's from Ausfish. The open runner would be taped to the handbook. I actually don't use the open runner much.
The Aussies are going to smaller guides for strippers on the factory Snyderglass rods.
Me, personally, I would go with as high of a frame as I could get.
A long time ago I had a 14 ft wrapped with a 50mm wire stripper guide. It was a lousy rod. This was probably the first of a series of events that eventually pushed me towards rolling my own but, this is how we learn.
Alvey is still the kind of company that is run by people and they love to fish. If you sent them an email and your address there is a strong possibility that they will mail you one (open runner)

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 20, 2006 04:38AM

Not really knocking the newer Alveys it’s just I’m wearing out faster than the fishing reel if you know what I mean.
The first rod I built had a about an 80mm wire stripper and the second a Fuji BSVLG 4OH and then conventional low guides, aussie fisherman where very quick to adapt this guide when the new concept was invented, its been on the market for decades. My couple of factor rods do have smaller conventional guides and they work OK.
Regards Charlie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster