I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Please don't make me euthanize my old rods
Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 15, 2006 09:43PM

There have been a good number of repair questions posted in the past few days and the answers mostly boil down to following Ralph O'Quinn's sage advice as found in the library section. My problem is that I haven't been in this hobby long enough to acquire much of a collection of scrap materials so the prospect of hacking up an old, yet fishing-worthy fiberglass rod, just to supply myself with fiberglass sleeves isn't too appealing. This evening, I was out in the garage looking at an old True Temper fly rod that probably possesed the sleeve I needed but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I had the same feeling as looking at an old family dog who's time had come and a decision had to be made (if you listen carefully, you can hear violins in the background).

By any chance, do any of the sponsors carry collections of "scrap materials". If not, there may be a niche market here. Maybe assemble a "Repair Starter Kit" or something of that nature.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Pete Kornegay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please don't make me euthanize my old rods
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 15, 2006 09:58PM

Pete,

Check Flea Markets, Yard sales, secon hand stores, Pawn shops. You'd be surprised at what you find CHEAP!!! I was at a flea market in Kentucky this summer, while visiting my brother, and picked up a huge bundle of old broken rods for 10 bucks. Keep your eyes open.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.197.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2006 10:04PM

I feel your pain, Pete. Most scrap that you come by these days is graphite. The only glass stuff I ever really find are complete rods, and however old and beat up they may be, I can't bring myself to chop em. I'm always hunting for broken glass rods and even thought about taking an ad in the local paper because of the slim pickings. Best alternative for me is keeping a sharp eye on kmart and wallyworld for clearance sales on snoopy rods and such, but even there, most the stuff is graphite.

If nothing else, what I usually end up doing is buying a couple of cheap glass blanks now and then with an order, just for repairs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2006 10:05PM by Mick McComesky.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2006 01:05AM

Slim pickins right now they have more most of the time but look at the size of that lot for 16.99 check them from time to time. They will have more and multiple lots.

[www.gofishin.com]

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 01:34AM

Walmart has cheap telescopic fiberglass crappie poles that are fine for making plugs & sleeves for repair or ferrules. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 06:42AM

You told me last year that you needed to drive over to see Jesse! If you need fiber glass pieces go in a large truck and be prepared to stay awhile! Take cash! He will probably try to sell you 10 gallons of epoxy adhesive while you are there. This will be more fun than shopping garage sales!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 16, 2006 08:35AM

Another fine use of the Forecast glass rods..
the SWB blanks make great king rods, ( and sleeves, handle extensions, etc)
The taper on them is so drastic that you are more than likely going to find a section of the blank to match your repair.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2006 08:54AM

You can get broken "repair bundles" from Lamiglas, but they are mostly graphite stock.

I too got lucky once in an antique fair and found a bundle of glass blanks that I talked the guy out of for $20. They were all unsanded, and definitely second rate quality but perfect for repairs. I'm set for a long time with this stuff.

Terry

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 16, 2006 06:40PM

Many great ideas here.

Bill- yes, I am overdue a visit to Jesse and this will give me another good reason to go and see him.

Did I mention that the folks on this board are a tremendous resource to the novice rod builder??

Thanks very much!

Pete Kornegay
Camden, NC

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2006 02:19AM

Another suggestion: There is a nationwide forum group called Freecycle it's based through Yahoo groups. Go to their website www.freecycle.org (or .com I cant remember what their suffix is) and find a group in you area , join and post a wanted ad for what you need. This is a group for people to give away stuff that they don't want to throw away, that someone else may be able to use. And for folks who need something to ask for it. I use it here all the time, have been very successful so far.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: October 19, 2006 06:05PM

Pete, I've seen stuff on @#$%& for cheap...

[]

[]

[]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster