I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Tip Section Repair
Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2006 08:47PM

A good friend had broken the tip of his favorite 7' crappie rod between the 2nd and third guides. The blank is an old one-piece fly rod blank and is at most 3/32" at that point.

I couldn't find a ferrule that small so I inserted an epoxy-coated 3" "toothpick" of solid fiberglass in the hollow center of the blank, centered between the two broken pieces then slid them together. After the epoxy set, I tightly wrapped a single layer of "E" weight thread over the joint extending it about 3/4" on either side of the break. Finally, I put on a good coat of epoxy over the threads, making sure to work it in well, essentially trying to create the equivalent of a plaster cast like those used for broken bones.

I got an email today saying the repair did not hold up. This is a custom rod made years ago and it is very special to this individual so I'd like to give it another try.

Knowing that I'm going to significantly affect the tip action of the rod, I'm planning to apply a metal "splint" to bridge the gap then once again over-wrap with thread and epoxy.

Is there another, better technique for joining the two parts of a pretty thin tip section or is old Betsy beyond hope?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Tip Section Repair
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2006 09:26PM

Read the library article by Ralph O'Quinn on repairs. You'll find the answer to your question there, but you'll need to prepare a sleeve over the break as well as a plug in the blank. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully regarding length of the plug vs the sleeve and sand/bevel the edges as described. You should be able to make an effective repair using these instructions.

Terry

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 13, 2006 09:34PM

Forget the metal strap. Your repair was doomed from the start as it did not allow any continuation of properties in the materials involved. An oversleeve of glass was the answer.

You can't introduce something that will completely imobilize or overly stiffen an area that is designed to flex and expect it to hold up. One of two things is going to happen - either the splice/splint/"cast" wil fail or the rod will fail at one edge of the splint. Your splice or splint, or whatever you want to call it, must flex with the rod and maintain a continuation of what is already there.

Do as Terry says and read the repair article in the library here. You can fix this rod good as new but will have to use a better approach.

Posted by: Jim Morris (58.169.110.---)
Date: October 15, 2006 02:49AM

Skip, do as Tom and Terry suggests. The short answer to any such repair, whether it is an internal spigot, or oversleeve, is to use a section of rod that is lower modulus not higher, so it actually flexes slightly more than the two pieces it is repairing. I've repaired lots of fly rod tips and not one has failed from following that principle. Other than that, get a close fit and only bind enough to prevent each end of the repair splitting. The only other thing I'd suggest is to find a really thin laminating type epoxy glue and use sparingly. Good Luck, Jim.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster