I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pen or Marker for Inscriptions
Posted by: Philip Ptak (63.166.2.---)
Date: October 12, 2006 02:24PM

What is the latest and greatest type of pen that people have been using for doing inscriptions? I had some problems with my usual pen, so I am looking for a better alternative. I am looking for something that writes in Silver and in Gold. If possible, I would like to be able to write on the blank sheets of water slide decal paper that I got from Decal Connection a while back. Writing directly on the blank or finish is the other option that I would like to be able to do.

Many thanks in advance.

Phil Ptak

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pen or Marker for Inscriptions
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 03:10PM

I've seen where many have had success with "gel" and other pens available at Office Supply Stores, however I've never come across one with a tip small enough for my liking. A "quill" type Calligrapher's pen (Art Supply Store) that you dip into an ink bottle can write VERY fine, but takes some practice. The same stores that stock these stock Acrylic Artists ink for them as well. Great color range including metallics & white. I’m not sure if you could get a “gel” type pen in white.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 04:31PM

Phil,

How's the fishin' been in NY this fall?

Anyways, on a few of the rods I built last year I used a very fine artist brush and thinned out white arcrylic paint I bought from a craft store. I'm sure a calligraphy or quill pen would do better and neater work.

Randy

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 04:54PM

I just finished a butt wrap with an inscription on it. I used a silver, medium point gel pen and it worked out pretty good. I put threadmaster finish over the inscription without any problems. I got the silver and gold pens at Staples.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 06:23PM

The only colored gel pens I've seen come with a 0.05mm tip. The black can be had with a 0.07mm which is alot better. Wish the colors came that fine.

The Rapidograph pens work good.

Jay

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 12, 2006 08:23PM

Phillip for what it's worth, I have tried a lot of pens in the last few years. This is what I have currently found to be the best in the Silver and Gold. I buy the Pilot Silver marker in Gold and in Silver (extra fine point). I shake them up well and then dab the point onto an old photo until I get a small pool of paint. I then use a very fine point "quill" pen from an art store. I dip the point of the pen into the small pool of paint. I quickly dab the pen tip, with the tiny drop on it, on a smooth piece of paper. (Not a puffy paper towell or tissue for that will immediately soak up too much of your tiny drop) Then I draw my letter with it, often turning the pen point a little sideways to get an even thinner letter. I usually get only one letter per dip. The reason I dab the quill pen with the tiny drop is so to greatly reduce the chance that I have a thick letter every now and then. I usually have to make a new pool of paint every 3 to 5 letters. The Pilot Silver Marker paint works very well with the Threadmaster I use to finish over it. I can wait as little as 10 mins for the letters to dry and then put the TM on it. I do NOT brush the TM on. I drip it on with a spatula until it is thoroughly covered. Then I stop my turning motor and carefullly wick away the excess. I then turn the rod 180 degrees and let it set for a short while and then wick the tiny extra finish that may still be present. At that point just turn on the motor again, don't stir up any dust and let the TM do its stuff. If I do botch a letter I have a few tooth picks with a minuscule wrap of paper towell on the ends. I dip them into Citrus Strip and I carefully swipe it over the the botched letter of course trying not to touch the good letters. I can tell you from experience not to try this final lettering when you are stressed or have recently had a Corona. I usually play an Enya tape while I'm doing this. Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster