I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I need some input on a casting blank...
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 12:51PM

I am presently planning my next project. I plan to build a medium casting rod for smallmouth bass. I am looking at blanks just over 6' in length, and I plan to use a blank exposed reel seat and a spiral wrap. At the moment, the two blanks that I think will suit my purposes are a St Croix 4C63MF and a Batson RX8+C742. Among other things, I have only built spinning rods in the past. The exposed blank reel seat is something I have never done. I am unsure how to select the proper reel seat. I am assuming that it must be an exact fit, and that arbors are not used. Of course, I have been mistaken before. That said, since Batson also has a line of exposed blank reel seats, they could advise me which of theirs is appropriate. I don't think the same can be said of St. Croix. Also, I can get the St. Croix from my local fly shop (I like to support the local guys when I can). If I decide on the Batson, I would like to purchase it from one of the board sponsors, but am unsure which would likely provide better service to Virginia. Finally, I do not intend to use a cork foregrip. If there is a gap between the reel seat extension and the blank, what is the best way to fill it? Does anyone have preferences between these blanks? Thanks for any help.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2006 02:32PM by Hunter Armstrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need some input on a casting blank...
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: October 12, 2006 03:40PM

I would say either of those blanks should be very good. I have used the 4C68MXF from St Croix and I love it. I have also used one of the new RX* bass blanks, the drop shot one and also love how light it is. For the reelseat, here is what I do. I try to figure out where the exposed part is going to be on the blank. I then measure the blank diameter at that point. Need to convert that to mm since that what the reelseats are designated by. I then look for the closest reelseat that is the size smaller than the blank. The reelseat can be reamed out to make it fit. You may need a bit of a bushing on the thread end of the realseat, but it will be rather thin most likely. It might be smart to also buy one size smaller and one size bigger of the realseat. From things I have seen for the transition from blank to reelseat in not using a foregrip, a ramped up section of Rod Bond is used to make a smooth transition. It can then be covered with thread and then finished.

After using both of the blanks I have used, it is hard to make a choice of one over the other. I have used mostly St Croix over the years, but thses new bass blanks from Rainshadow are sweet.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 12, 2006 04:09PM

Measure how far up the blank you will be placing the reel seat and have the dealer fit the seat. Most will fit it before they ship!. Any of the sponsors will ship to VA fine. Most carry St. Croix and Fishsticks4U and Custom Tackle (and probably others) carry Batson products. Just give them a call and they will work with you!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mike Sertic (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 05:22PM

If you go with the Batson, I had a great experience buying blanks from FishSticks4U, which is a board sponsor located in VA.

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 06:44PM

I built one of the RX8 blanks and think it is the best thing since they put pockets on shirts. VERY light and VERY sensitive. Give Bob, @ Custom Tackle, (a sponsor on the left) a call. He can set you up with the blank and all the Batson componants. Tell Bob the length of handle and they will fit the reel seat for ya.

As for the no cork forgrip. I use tint in my epoxy and fill the space in the top of the reel seat with it.

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2006 06:46PM

I'm with Mike;
Fishsticks4U have been great people to deal with. If you ask they will match the real seat to the blank for you I have an RX8 blank in my shop right now that I am starting to work on. I really like this blank think you cannot go wrong with it.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 06:46PM

Exposed Blank seats and arbors. The seats may be constructed a differently by brand. The Fuji exposed blank seats fit the blank in only a short area. The rear and front of the Fiji need arbor fit up. Batson seats may have internal ribs that provide the arbor surface and should be fit up by the vendor. If you get a textured seat with a covering over the base material you should not try to ream to fit. Be sure the vendor gets the right one or a selection.

If you are using a Fuji the front end of the rear cork should be sized to fit into the rear of the seat. A Flexcoat foam arbor can be sized and slid into place during glue up in the front end.

Here is a link to how the set up can look if no foregrip is used. A rubber hozel, winding check or simple epoxy ramp can be used to close the end.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2006 06:50PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 08:17PM

Thanks everyone. I was leaning towards the Batson blank after my initial research, but now I think that is the way I will go. It also helps that FishSticks4U is only about a fifteen minute drive from my house (who knew?). Again, thank you for your help. This board continues to be an amazing resource for those of us who only build one rod a year.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster