I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod rebuilding
Posted by: Howard Modrall (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 01:13PM

A question for those who know.

I am rebuilding old rods (in good condition) bought at yard sales for a couple of bucks.

My question is: Can High Build Rod Wrapping Finish (Flex Coat) be used to renew the finish full length, or only the rod wrapping. Some of the rods have lost their nice shiny finish and I would like to make them look like new.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod rebuilding
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 01:41PM

Many rodbuilders will tell you not to use rod finish on the blank but I have been doing it since I started building rods in 1976. I have a high volume shop that has been going strong since 1992 and have never had any complaints about coating the entire blank. I build a lot of off shore and boat rods and coat the whole blank on 90% of them.To answer your question I use nothing but Flexcoat. Jesse

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: October 11, 2006 01:42PM

It can be used but I'd prefer to use permaglos which will go on much thinnr

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2006 02:09PM

Epoxy is not meant to be used as a paint-like coating. It doesn't wet the surface very well and it is rather heavy. Can you use it for that? Sure. Is it the best product for doing that sort of thing? Of course not.

PermaGloss or nearly any off the shelf urethane, clear gloss marine grade, is your best bet.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.vcr.centurytel.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 02:32PM

I would also use PermaGloss or any of the good quility urethanes. Do not use sandpaper on the blank unless it is over 400 grit. I use Scotch Bite scuff pads By 3M in gray, (gray) is rated fine. I also use rubber surgical glove or a foam pad when appling eather finish. [ never brush it on]. Hang rods horizonally.
Good Weaps Bob

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 06:28PM

Try it, and learn alot more than anyone or any book can ever tell you.

Personally I have not had good luck with permagloss - it flaked and chipped badly after only two seasons. I wound up removing all the permagloss and recoating with two part epoxy paints which have held up well. The rods were fished hard from a boat.

I have one of Jesse's wireline rods that was given to me by an angler moving away from this area. Not only is it coated with flexcoat from the foregrip to the tip, it is also completely covered in a layer of red metallic thread. The rod is 10-12 years old, and its finish has not cracked. Is the rod as light as it can be? No, but it does not matter much when the rod and reel weigh almost 10lbs and is fished mainly from a rod holder (trolling).

Lou

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 11, 2006 07:51PM

Jesse--------Just curious if you scuff the blank prior to the flex coat?

The reason for my question is that about three years ago I wet sanded a blank with 600 grit paper and applied flex coat using my finger, but never got around to building it. My son in law wanted a rod that the blank was right for, but he did not like the color. I removed the finish and built it for him and removing that flex coat turned out to be a world class PIA job. I've heard horror stories of people flaking it of with a fingernail, but if anyone could have done that to this one, King Kong would have saluted him.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 11, 2006 09:12PM

I've seen hundreds of glass rods refinished with an epoxy like Flex Coat. Most look pretty bad. Peeling, yellowed finish, etcetera. There is a reason that the rod companies don't use it to finish their blanks with.

I'd go with Permagloss or the KlassKote epoxy PAINT. Both cure hard as a rock and are tough as nails. Thinner and lighter than rod finish epoxy and they don't turn yellow.

Date: October 11, 2006 09:52PM

Does the yellowing occur only on the blank and not the wraps, or both?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2006 10:05PM

Most epoxy finishes will tend to turn amber or yellow, but this only becomes apparent when used over lighter colors. You'd never notice it on say, blue thread. On the lighter thread colors, and something like a white rod blank, you could certainly notice it.

Date: October 11, 2006 11:34PM

Tom, Yeah, I know what you are saying. The " hundreds of rods" caught my attention and I said, "Self, they must all have been white or light yellow". Just being a b--- hole I guess.

I am curious about how Jesse Buky is applying it. If he has hit on a process that is succesful, because if he were having problems with it, I am sure it would affect his business, and that doesn"t appear to be the case.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 01:17PM

I don't do anything special, Use throw-away acid brushes and apply to rod, place rod in dryer and torch it [propane torch with high flame that is always moving] check in about 15 minutes and torch again if necessary, let turn for at least 3 hrs. At least 2 coats of Flexcoat, more if needed.Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster