I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two Handed Fly Rods at High Point, NC
Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:07AM

Been going back and forth in my mind about attending the High Point show in 2007.

Tom has always been very generous about inviting our shop to this event in past years to do a demo or two about two handed fly rods; this year being no exception to that invite.

... But I've always wondered if there really is very much interest within this community about these rods <> Their applications, how to build them, how to choose the correct blanks for their applications etc etc ...

I guess what I'm doing here is addressing this group at large for feed back as to whether I'd generate any interest for this family of rods at High Point.

Our shop really does not sell many blanks, nor components <> Rather we sell finished rods, and matching reels and lines ... Plus relate accurate information about the two handed sport to inquireing anglers to the best of our abilities.

... That's why anglers come to us.

I'd sure be glad to share what I know in this regards, but the bottom line is:

How many of you guys would really be interested in learning more about building two handed fly rods at this event ?

One other issue.

In order to demonstrate what two handed fly rods are really all about ... I'd definitely need a casting lane of some sort, as the change-of-direction cast best shown needs water for line anchor point.

... Not so for single handed fly rods.

Would'nt have to be very big <> Maybe 40' wide and 60' long or so ... 12" deep Truss Joists on edge with 40/60 mil poly works pretty good for this as TJIs can be gotten in up to 40' lengths.

Just need enough room for anchor point to demonstrate basic casting techniques with the various two handed line systems.

A casting lane such as this would be a huge aide in demonstrat ing the single most important aspect of building the two handed fly rod:

That would be choosing the proper blank to build the rod in regards to length and line grain carrying capabilities ...

... And then marrying that rod to the correct lines to best meet specific angling enviornments.

Physically building a two handed fly rod is in essence exactly the same as building any fly rod ... No mystery there.

... But correct blank taper and action for the two handed angler is of the utmost importance, as is designing grip length and profile to aide casting styles best used for the various line systems.

With a casting lane, the wheres and whys of these issues could all be easily demonstrated as a rod builders aide.

Anyways ... These are things I've been pondering here for quite a while.

Your honest feedback <> A thumbs up or down would sure be appreciated.

Bob Meiser

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two Handed Fly Rods at High Point, NC
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:15AM

Bob,

This won't adress the issue of 2 handed fly rods. But, I'm sure that everyone would love to see and hear a presentation from you on how to aplly feather inlay's. My 2cents for what it's worth. I've read your tutorial and it's awesome, would like to see how it's done up close.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 01:51AM

Bob, you certainally do a wonderful feather inlay, but to be honest, I feel there are plenty of tutorial between RMM and this forum. I for one would love to see your casting demo and get some info on building the beautiful 2 handers you do. As an avid steelhead fisherman, I am caught in a love triangle....I dont know what I enjoy more, swinging streamers or float fishing with a centrepin,,,,what a delima! Unfoetunatly I have no plan on attending Highpoint, maybe next year....

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 03:19AM

Bob,

When I attended the first Rod Building Expo I had hoped to find you there. The following year I knew you had not signed on but I wished you had. I had to cancel my plans to attend the 2006 show at the last minute; but I do plan to attend in 2007. A seminar from you on two handed rod building and usage would be about the best new addition to the show that I can think of. I certainly hope you provide the many rod builders the chance to meet you and learn from your wealth of knowledge on the subject. I, for one, would be extremely interested in your seminar. I hope others will speak up in the numbers that will encourage you to participate in the Exposition. Your rods are truly inspirational creations. To learn about this type of rod from a Master is an rare opportunity. I hope you will make it a reality.

Dave Gilberg

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: October 10, 2006 08:29AM

I haven't been asked to build one of those but I know its coming. Many east coast saltwater fly fishermen are moving to the two handed rods for surf use. So yes, I would be more than happy to see you attend and present a seminar.

I'd also look at it like this, there will be more rod builders at this show than all the other shows put together and they will be coming in from all over the world. So you'd about have to believe that you'd have a good crowd of builders who ARE interested in learning more about building two handed and spey type rods. Not to mention that many fishermen who will be attending.

Don't know if this board is a good place to judge interest though as I would think that most of the builders who go to the show probably don't even know about this board.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 09:27AM

Hi Bob,

Whether you decide to attend the NC show or not, it would be great to see you put on a presentation about 2-handed rod building at the April seminar at Lamiglas. There will definitely be many steelhead anglers there. Handle design, length and other specific tips on 2-handed construction would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you have interest in this. I would be happy to talk to Todd or Emory about getting you there.

Terry

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 10, 2006 09:55AM

Bob,

We've discussed this before and I can always sense your hesitation about coming to an event that you've not attended before. But I think you'll be very surprised. We probably get more rod builders from WA, OR, ID than any show held in those areas do. This is not a regional affair - rod builders from all over the world attend and most likely a seminar on building two handed rods would fill every available seat in the room. Don't sell the topic short, just because this event is held in the Southeast. We drew a minimum of 1438 rod builders last year. Where else are you going to put on a seminar for rod builders that draws even a small fraction of that number?

The only problem would be a casting area. February in NC can be rather cold and I'm not sure how to work such a thing out, although I'm sure we can do something.

Date: October 10, 2006 11:50AM

Hi Tom,

Understood about this event being multi-regional and well attended.

I've been following this forum literally every day since day one.

Kinda hard to miss the success of this event, and all of the kudos you receive in this regards are truely well deserved.

... Guess I'm just looking for a thumbs up from a portion of the crowd at large about their interest in building this family of rods.

On the matter of a casting lane:

A casting lane of some sort would be a great asset from the rod builders perspective.

To teach the fundamentals of swimming would best be done in water ... Kind hard to do on a concrete floor ... };^) !!!

... The same would be true of two handed fly rods.

Surely other fly rodders would have use for it as well ?

Bob Meiser

Date: October 10, 2006 12:12PM

Probably, but we've had casting ponds the last three years and they received limited use. In the new location, we'd almost have to go outside to have such a thing and putting water in it would be out of the question - it would probably be ice by morning.

But if you make up your mind on what you want to do, we can work something out.

As someone else said, not sure how many who use this forum actually attend the event. My main purpose in setting this place up was to give those who don't buy the magazine or attend events a place where they could get some info. So you may have a hard time judging interest here.

My best guess is that your seminar would draw 75 to 100 rod builders.

Date: October 10, 2006 01:55PM

Tom,

OK <> Understood about the water suggestion.

Will the building allow a carpeted lane of say about 40' wide and 80' to 100' long with ceiling height over 16' ?

If so ... I can use grass leaders to simulate anchor point much as we'd do on grass.

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 02:08PM

Bob,

Come to High Point!! PULEEEEEZE!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 10, 2006 02:13PM

The ceiling is 17', except in the Atrium, but that's where everybody will be coming and going.

There are 3 outdoor balconies that are easily that size. I'd just have to see if it's feasible to use them for a casting demo.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 05:19PM

I'd have to assume that the High Point Rod Expo is the largest gathering of professional rod builders in the world. Also the largest gathering of hobbiest rod builders in the world. Also the largest gathering of so-so, expert, novice, every day and occasional rod builders in the world. Surely there would be a good number who build or want to build two handed or the spey type rods. I think it would be a sure bet.

Posted by: John Sams (---.ord.scnet.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 08:31AM

I'm not sure I see why casting would be an important part of the seminar. Is the seminar going to be on BUILDING two handed rods or on CASTING two handed rods?? I have only been asked to build one such rod and used an article you did in a Rodmaker some years ago as my guide. It was GREAT! That would be the sort of thing I'd like to see talked about or updated in a seminar. I really don't care about the casting part. Just the specifics on building them for those who do cast them!

Posted by: Marko Aalto Arhagen (---.telenor.se)
Date: October 12, 2006 02:10AM

I for one would really like to come and see chear the knowledge you have in this area.
To bad I live in Sweden, My first goal is to attend the Charlotte show within a couple of years.

Marko

Date: October 12, 2006 07:18AM

The Charlotte show is no more - it has been moved to High Point.

We do get quite a few builders from Europe attending. I'm told we'll have even more this year.

Posted by: John Richardson (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: October 12, 2006 08:39PM

Bob,

I'd love to see you attend the High Point show. I did a 2-day spey casting seminar with Jim Rusher up in Pulaski, NY on the Salmon River a few years ago. However, I don't know much about the European and NW methods of using two-handed rods. I'd really like to try one for saltwater.

Bottom line is that I'd attend your seminars and casting demos.

John

Waynesville, North Carolina --
Gateway to the Smokies

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster