I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TOP WATER BLANK
Posted by: ALTON BENTLEY (---.dhcp.snfr.nc.charter.com)
Date: October 09, 2006 09:20PM

Interested in making a TOPWATER Rod 6'6" or 7'. I fish for largemouth Bass. Sort of confused in the language being used: i.e is a topwater blank the same as a Popping Blank? Woul appreicate any blank recommendations. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TOP WATER BLANK
Posted by: stan mclean (---.lndnnh.adelphia.ne)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:25AM

A popping blank would work. I use crankbait blanks, these blanks are design for baits that use treble hooks. The trick is to find the right blank for the topwaters bait you are throwing.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 05:57AM

Mike;
I personally think a popping blank is a little slow for providing a good action for the type of baits you will most likley be using I prefer this type of blank
Batson C742
Works graet as a top water stick and also doubles as what I consider the perfect jerkbait rod.
Perfer M/L for small top waters and M for little larger to zoro spook type baits.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 06:38AM

I do not like Moderate action rods for topwater. I also wouldn't consider a Popping blank.

I prefer a shorter rod for my topwater work. 6' to 6'6". I work my baits tip down and the height of my boat deck plays the biggest roll in which length rod I use. I want a Fast action. I want a rod that has a nice stiff tip. My go-to topwater rod is an older Loomis SB723. Now days, if I had to build another, I'd go with a Shikari SB603. Maybe a 663 since the deck is a bit higher in my current boat than it was in my last boat.

My brother liked his SB723 so much he had me build an extra. He uses both of them a lot. Probably his #1 and #2 rods.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 03:30PM

stan mclean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use crankbait
> blanks, these blanks are design for baits that use
> treble hooks.

I've never heard of a blank designed for treble hook baits.

Posted by: Bill Tune (68.153.106.---)
Date: October 10, 2006 03:57PM

"Crankbait" blanks have a more moderate action and usually relatively light tip. The extra bend takes a little pressure off the small hooks. Some of these are very soft almost wet noodle rods.
My choice for a blank depends on what baits you plan to fish. With that in mind I like my old 6'6" St Croix ML GLASS rod for Pop R type baits with a small reel and 15-17 line. It does not take much to over power these baits so I prefer the glass because it makes me slow down. The little number 6 hooks stay buttoned up with this soft rod too. I am not sure you can even get these any more (bought mine for $15 and wish I had got some more!). For a big Spook I like a 6'6" MH and right now use a GUSA DHX663 for this and many other baits, but with these big baits you need some power to set those big number 2 hooks. I have a 151 Calcutta and 15 pound line on this. For minnow baits, tiny torpedos etc I use a medium power spinning rod.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 08:55PM

For my medium-sized topwaters (i.e. spook jr.), I use my St. Croix 3C68MXF. It's perfect. For the little bitty topwaters that we often have to use in my area, I'll often use a St. Croix 3C66MM. The 3C66MM is a crankbait blank, but it works pretty well to throw those 1/4 oz. topwaters. And, what the folks said above is true. You won't lose many fish on a mod. action crankbait blank, just because the blank bends so far down into the butt. Let me re-phrase--You won't lose many fish from the hooks pulling out. You may well lose fish because your rod doesn't have enough backbone to yank it away from the tree it's heading for.

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.wcsonline.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 11:13PM

Also keep in mind that when it is said that "a crankbait rod is designed to be used for treble hooks" it is not only refering to having a rod that keeps from ripping the trebles out, but that it also must be able to maintain pressure on the fish. Especially if the bass breaches the surface where you have a tendency to lose pressure. How many times have you bass guys had a fish throw a crank or topwater on the surface? The heavier the bait, the worse the effect. Just remember that trebles are completely different in design and function than EWGs. A deep throated EWG is designed for deep penetration (heavier powers/ faster actions) and trebles are designed to be "sticky" (comparitively lighter powers / slower actions). Couple the latter with a good monofilament with good stretching properties, and you most likely have a good performing set up for most situations. If you fish where I do though around lots of cover, you need to find a rod that also has some low end grunt. Ofcourse, for topwaters, you have to decide what type of topwaters you like to fish (popping baits or walking baits), and taylor your action and power accordingly to your taste and technique. I have found the smaller walking baits to be the toughest baits to find just the right rod for. I personaly prefer a little faster action for the walking baits and a little slower for the popping baits. Just my opinion.

TJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster