I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Higher end blank options
Posted by: al barrett (---.179.30.162.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: October 07, 2006 11:55PM

I want to treat myself to a great 9' 5wt. rod. I have considered a G-Loomis GLX , or a St. Croix SCV. Also there is the Hook and Hackle HHX , Batson RX8, or G-Loomis IMX. Let me know if you have any experience or thoughts on these blanks, or if you have any suggests on these or other blanks.

Thanks,

Al

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Higher end blank options
Posted by: Scott Ryan (---.kaf.afgn.army.mil)
Date: October 08, 2006 02:47AM

Sage makes a really nice high end blank. I have fished the mfg. rods and I really really like them. I hope to wrap one as soon as the skill level is there.

Scott

Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: October 08, 2006 07:37AM

Hi Al,

I would tend towards Sage if money is not an issue, a little cheaper would be the CTS blanks and also very nice. The new RX8 4 piece shoule be also really nice if similar in action and behaviour like the former RX8 in three piece which I built up in 9ft class 5. FYI: my one turned out to be a little more a 6wt than a 5wt.

RGDS,
Ole
Ellerau/Germany

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: October 08, 2006 08:02AM

if you chose the GLX I'd underwrap the 1st 30" of the tip section. I much preferr the IMX to the GLX as they are extremely brittle, but even my IMX choice would be an older IMX before Shimano bought them out. The High end St.Croxi's are are fairly nice in the wt you want, if you look close you will see a trend with all their IPC instilled blanks (or series) there is not much taper ther to make those uniform tranisition points difficult to manufacture, they are lighter and they made that up in the butt section by reducing dia there. In 7 wts and up, I like a butt section that measaures up into the .400"s, but never over .500" Scott rods are another blank to look at, but I like Sage also.

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.132.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: October 08, 2006 08:30AM

Al

Loomis Sage and the others mentioned are all fine blanks. One option that hasn't been mentioned is Burkheimer. I have one of his 6 wt. rods on my wrapper right now. Kerry not only makes spey rods but he builds fine trout blanks too. They are available in gray, blue and green . I outwrap for Kerry, so I may be a little biased but I also wrap for several other companies too, and I have seen his whole line of blanks. Kerry is a perfectionist and it shows in his products.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: October 08, 2006 08:56AM

I have a Loomis GLX in 9' 5wt and it is my all time favorite. Nothing about it seems brittle. I've tromped it up and down NY and into PA on back packing trips and caught a ton of trout on it. My very favorite fly rod.

I also have a Burkemheimer and it is one of the easiest casting rods you'd ever own. But compared to the GLX it seems very heavy or clubby. But it is EASY to cast.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: October 08, 2006 09:24AM

I've had a GLX 6 wt since they first came out sometime I believe in the real early 90's, it's been to Alaska many times, Mexico, Florida and all over the west. Never a problem, always fishes and casts well. One of the special rods I've fished was the 8 1/2 ft 5 wt. The good way to get a great rod is to go to a few fly shops, cast what they got with your reel and line, and go from there.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.olypen.com)
Date: October 08, 2006 01:59PM

The RX8's that I've built have got excellent reviews. One 8 has been around the world now. One customer was a dedicated user of one of the other brands mentioned and now won't use anything but the Rainshadow RX8. Great blanks, great price.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: October 08, 2006 03:23PM

Under wrapping the first 30 inches of the tip section on any 5 weight fly rod would certainly effect the characteristics and casting performance of the rod in a most negative manner.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.biz.sktn.arrival.net)
Date: October 08, 2006 06:35PM

I have two Burkheimers.

And another on order, enough said.

His Cobalt Blue blanks are spectacular!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 08, 2006 07:32PM

Like Stan said. I have 3 GLXs, 1 fly, 1 casting, 1 spinning all have held up great without extra thread or finish anywhere.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 01:16AM

AL:
GLX is my choice then the IMX. The IMX is more of a "parabolic" flex as compared top the GLX. And one thing...DO NOT UNDERWRAP THE FIRST 30" of the ROD! That is a sure way to make it feel like an Ugly Stick! just my .02

Also, the GLX is not brittle. I didn't know graphite was. When I was on the Pro-staff with Loomis, Gary was very quick to correct people who would say that graphite was brittle! I also think that the GLX graphite is still the baraometer for the industry. The R&D (research and development) at Loomis is second to none...

Respectfully,
Paul

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:17PM

Having fished IMX and GlX fly rods almost exclusively for several years I agree that the GLX remains a barometer for me when comparing rods. As Paul states, "the GLX is not brittle". It's use of high modulus material allowing thinner walls makes it more fragile to impact than similar rods with lower modulus and thicker walls. While I enjoy the characteristics of GLX rods I found the IMX to more able to withstand damage from beadhead flies and other sources causing impact damage. The Ugly Stick is the opposite extreme in that it might inflict damage on a car door.

When looking for the perfect blank you will search forever as there are only trade offs available. Set your priorities and pick accordingly.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2006 12:34PM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.177.---)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:22PM

Paul,
As the modulus of elasticity of any elastic material like carbon fiber increases the area under the stress/strain curve, the strain energy or toughness, decreases, assuming that the tensile strength remains the same. Because the Loomis GLX is a blank constructed of high modulus of elasticity carbon fiber it will be less tough or more fragile than blanks constructed of lower modulus of elasticity carbon fiber. The higher modulus of elasticity results in less weight and higher resonant frequency which intern results in a number of advantages including higher sensitivity or feel, faster damping, and less casting effort, however, the disadvantage is it results in a rod that is not as tough.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: October 10, 2006 03:45PM

i think you outta check out the diamondback classic, either trout or the faster western model. and let me know how it turns out! ;-)

i've heard good reviews about the batson RX8 (+?). dan craft signature Vs are nice too. what kind of fishing do you do and what kind of feel are you looking for?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 07:09PM

Emory...

Sir, as you are 100% correct and I agree with you chief, the rod is still not "brittle". Ithe rod is less durable than others in terms of "impact resistance".

And yes, i agree that the IMX is more durable than the GLX. I own every 10 foot model made-and they have taken more of a beating than I did in back in my Catholic school days.

Repectfully,
Paul

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.177.---)
Date: October 10, 2006 08:35PM

Paul,
I know that it is a little confusing but a rods resistance to impact is a different property of the rod than how tough or brittle it is. The toughness is a function of the strain energy which is determined by the modulus of elasticity and the tensile strength (the area under the stress/strain or modulus of elasticity curve). The lower the modulus or the higher the tensile strength the tougher the rod will be (the more area under the stress/strain curve). You can think of the toughness as how large a load will the rod take or much will the rod deflect before it breaks or how brittle it is.
Impact resistance is a different matter. Carbon fiber is actually a fairly soft material and the outer layer of material can easily be damaged by hitting it against something hard. The problem is that when a load is applied to a rod and it deflects or is bent the load on the layers of fibers is not distributed uniformly through the layers. The load on the layers of fibers drops off at the fourth power from the surface layer to the inner layers when the rod is bent or deflected. Because the load is so much higher on the surface layers only the surface layer needs to be damaged by an impact to significantly weaken the rod. Often a rod will be hit on something but later when the rod is under a significant load it will then break at the spot where it was hit even though only the outer most layer of fibers was damaged.
I hope I said that clearly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2006 08:37PM by Emory Harry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster