I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tops
Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 08:24PM

Hi all, I just acquired a bunch of St.Croix ice fishing blanks. Tip sizes on these are quite small, 2.5 and 3.5. Being that they are for ice fishing i want to get large diameter tops but cant find 2.5 and 3.5 size tubes.

Is it possible to just glue on a 4.0 with the hot melt tip top glue? Will the glue take up the space with no problems? Aside from aesthetic appeal?

Calvin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tops
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: October 05, 2006 08:31PM

Why not use a single foot fly guide as your tip top and just wrap it on.

This is done on a lot of float rods so it will work on an ice rod.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 08:39PM

I will try that thanks Rolly

Calvin

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 09:00PM

You might think about wrapping some A thread on the rod to take up the gap if you are just going to go with the size 4 top. I repaired a busted rod I had in the garage that way and it came out great.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 09:22PM

I've wrapped some tips with fly guides and the Forhan Locking wrap. So far, so good.

Jay

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2006 01:10AM

Calvin, I have some 2.5 and 3.5 tube Ice rod tops. Ring size though 3, and 6 . Pear shaped stainless wire top.

Pete
ACK Fishing & Tackle
866-285-0673

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: October 06, 2006 01:47PM

Calvin, go to jansnetcraft, page 100 in catalog,or the website, click on to tip tops and they have the larger hoops in size 5 for ice rods and also fly rod tips in sizes 2.2 and 3.5. most of the ice rods commercial made with the large rings use the lower quality berkley guides/ single foot, and then the large top. these guides are all under $1.00 most are around .59 cents each. I build on St Croix solid carbon blanks/ Avid series with the 2.5 tops , and use #10 high, and 8 fly and then the rest #6 fly guides with the size 6 ring 2.5 tip top. I generally use alconite, and the forecast single foot fly guides, just because they come in so many colors, and have the Zirconia guide which is practically indestructable. Understand that they cost a lot more money for you and the customer, but nobody makes anything commercial out there that is even comparable, which makes them a real treat to the die hard ice fisherman. I have not had any complaints about freezing problems, because generally they are used in ice houses and if they do freeze, simply use your hand to thaw the line out. Besides if you let your line all the way to the bottom and reel up a short distance, or have suspended fish, would the wet line not also freeze on the spool if it is cold ? I just don't see the point in the large heavy tops, if you are looking for sensitivity, and lightweight rods. just my take on the subject. Galen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster