I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Respirator for acrylic?
Posted by: Brian Issa (69.71.171.---)
Date: October 04, 2006 02:43PM

The stuff sure turns nice seats, but smells to high heaven. Anybody know what the chemical is that's coming off and if there is a cartridge that will take it out of the air I'm breathing? I'm using one of the AOS masks with a cartridge that says its for organic fumes (can't remember the number). It seems to help, but I can still smell the stuff.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Respirator for acrylic?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 04, 2006 02:44PM

Same with Corian. I had some sort of mask on with dual cartridges, and oh boy did it have a distinct aroma.

Posted by: Scott Ryan (---.kaf.afgn.army.mil)
Date: October 05, 2006 01:35AM

Brian,

The acrylic is more than likely an acetate base. It does have a pretty bad smell. As for your respirator if you are still smelling the fumes it could be because of a few different things. The cartridges could be spent, meaning they just plain old don't work anymore. If the cartiges are new it could be the fit of the mask. To test the fit cover the cartridges without putting presure on the mask and inhale. If you have a good fit the mask will suck down around your face not letting any air in. If you have a bad fit air will enter the masks at the leak points usually around the nose area. An improper fit is usually the thing that causes what you are describing. Try readjusting the fit, gently cover the cartridges and exhale gently, then inhale to check the fit again. With a proper fit, the mask should suck down around your face tightly.

The cartridges, if you are using the organic vapor you are on the right track. If you want more protection some mfgr's make pre filter accessories that snap over the cartriges. 3M #6000 series masks are decent cartridge style respirators and pretty fair priced. You should be able to pick one up at an industrial supply house with cartridges for under $30. A small price to pay to save your lungs and life.

Hope this helps

Regards

Scott

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 06:08AM

Also facial hair(beard) could affect the seal of the mask.I used to spray up to 5 gals of Dupont Centari back in the day and would be able to see where the mask was leaking by the paint streaks on my face when the mask was removed.When I had a beard the hair was the leak point so off it went.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 06:44AM

FReddy, you trying to tell me something? lol. THanks.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 08:01AM

Brian,
You will need to get the YELLOW filter cartridges for your face mask. The yellow ones are for Acid Gas and Organic Vapors. Get an N95 or N100. These have specially treated activated carbon which absorbs certain gases and/or vapors at 95 to 100% filtration effeciency. If I were you I would use a full face respirator. That way you protect your lungs from the fumes and your whole face from flying debris. But a full face respirator isn't cheap. It's free for me because I work at a chemical plant. ;)

Put the mask on with out the filters. Put your hand over the filter inlets and inhale to test for proper fit. You can also, with the filters on, put your hand over the outlet and exhale to feel for positive pressure for a proper fit. As mentioned above a beard will effect the sealing around the face. That's why we can't have beards at all in our plant. But we do work with some sure 'nough BAD stuff.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 05, 2006 10:55AM

Many, if not all, mining operations prohibit employes from having beards for that very reason.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.mt.access.transaria.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 04:40PM

If you plan to work with this stuff a lot and want a full face shield, this is probably the best available.

[www.woodcraft.com]

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 07:21PM

Billy,
I was going to mention you by name but didnt want to offend you. LOL

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2006 07:22PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster