I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly seat ring is backing off
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: October 04, 2006 09:56AM

Put a Struble up locking reel seat on an 8 wt fly rod. Has a fixed cork fighting butt.
Angler states that the single locking ring backs off while fishing. Any fixes for that?
Can I get another, second ring from Struble, rip the butt off and built another butt cap and then have two rings on it. Or is there a quick fix method I am not aware of? Rather have it done right but he is fishing the rod hard right now and hate to put the rod out of comission for a week or two.

Thanks,
Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly seat ring is backing off
Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: October 04, 2006 10:22AM

Hopefully some one has a better remedy but a band of tape while the rod is in use is fairly fool proof. For rods that size the seats with the double rings are better. Best of all is a graphite cushioned casting or spinning seat which I use on my personal rods. I must confess that I can't convince many fly fisherman that function should come ahead of custom if reel security is their first order of business.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: October 04, 2006 11:09AM

The best double ring set up has an "O" ring between them. Spin reels used in fly seats can loosen up also as there is not alot of reel foot engagment...I tighten the reel on well then make 5 or 6 casts then retighten, and repeat after another 5 or 6 casts at some point you wedge that puppy on and it does not back off. Not to say that in your situation the seat ring may still back off, but this does help on some similar situations

Posted by: Scott Grady (---.69-129.unk.tds.net)
Date: October 04, 2006 02:29PM

Buzz,
You might try this as a fix.
Have angler remove his reel and place a couple of paper shims under the reelfoot to help prevent it from moving. Then rub some beeswax on the threads of the reelseat to make it a little sticky. This should prevent the ring from turning and the shims will tighten the reel enough to keep it from moving.
Just a thought.
Scott

Worse case temporary fix, use super glue or loctite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2006 02:32PM by Scott Grady.

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 04, 2006 03:30PM

Ive had the same problem. The best fix Ive found without ripping your butt off is loctite SERVICE REMOVEABLE. Its blue in colour and with light heat comes away no problem. Ive just used boiling water on the nut to warm it up a bit Just ONE drop on clean threads. Dont use the red loctite as you will need a grinder to get the reel out.

Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: October 05, 2006 01:16AM

Hu Buzz,

first I would like to express that I am surprised about things you are describing because Struble si from my point of view a real first class manufacturer if it comes to (fly) reel seats. Which seat you are talking about ? In this regard I am really curious.

Solving the problem: I would check if the reelfoot is according to international standards and - if yes or no (LOL) I would go back to struble and ask for a second screw ring and a rubber ring to be placed between both rings, the existing one and the new one. Up to now I personally used in regard of Struble uplocking the U-7, U-15 and U-18.

I would never leave the rod as is, that is one of teh nice things with custom build rods. If you are satisfied as is with the described problem you can go with a factory rod, sorry for that. On top if something like the described thing happens with a factory rod you (as a customer) bring the rod back to the seller for replacement ro exchange.

RGDS,
Ole

Ellerau/Germany

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster