I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mini Lathes
Posted by: Dale Cecil (---.207-68.panhandle.res.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2006 09:17PM

I have a two part question on mini lathes. I found three brands and want any recomendations on Jett,Rikon and Delta. Part two where is a good place to buy wood for turning rod handles?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mini Lathes
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 09:38PM

I like my Jet mini lathe. Ralph

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: October 03, 2006 09:40PM

I like my Delta. Saw good mentions on the Rikon and saw one this weekend. That's the one I'd get if I had to do it over. More capacity and features for less money. And looks to be a nice lathe.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 09:52PM

I just bought a Jet Mini about two weeks ago from Woodcraft. I went in the place for the Rikon but got a great deal on the Jet. Right now they got the RIKON Mini Lathe on sale.

Posted by: David Opsahl (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 10:00PM

Dale,

I have no experience with the Rikon. The Jet and the Delta are almost exact duplicates; to the point where I have a Delta lathe on a Jet stand with extension. Very, very happy with the Delta, by the way, and use it not only for handles, seats, and hosels, but for turning pens and other such things.

With respect to purchasing wood, I have several suggestions. If you live near a Woodcraft store, check out their "cut-offs" bin for good deals for stock for rod projects and other projects as well. Ditto if you have a hardwood store in town (i.e in Seattle and Portland we have Hardwood Specialties). You can also order on-line from both of these sources. I also buy wood off @#$%& for all sorts of projects.

Good luck,

Dave

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.44.66.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: October 04, 2006 01:53AM

Hi Dale,
The others have answered the first question rather well. I just started making wood handles for fly rods. In my area I found a lumber yard that specializes in hardwoods. Most of their business is for high end housing construction. As a result there are lots of small pieces left over that are ideal for rod builders and other wood artisans. Most important the prices for these smaller pieces are quite low. On a recent trip I found two pieces of walnut which had nice swirling grains that varied from the typical dark brown to blue and cream. Each piece was $2.00 and I will get at least two grips with matching reel seat inserts from each piece. I also found three small pieces of maple burl that will net me at least four handle/reel seat insert combinations for a total cost of $10.00.

I take these pieces and cut them into 1.5 " squares of the proper length on my table saw. I then bore and turn them on my lathe. Most of the material for a handle/ reel seat combination costs less than $2.00 each. The only cost is my labor and someTru Oil.

My advice is to find a lumber company in your area that carries a good supply of hard woods or specializes in hardwoods and get to know the people who run the lumber yard. Such a place becomes a wonderful resource for you. I think you will also find the costs considerably lower than some of the mail order places.

Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.mt.access.transaria.net)
Date: October 04, 2006 11:46AM

I have a Jet which does what I need it to do, BUT if I was buying one now I would absolutely buy the Rikon. It has features that I could use, mainly the indexing head. But, do you need that to make grips and reel seat inserts,; probably not. If that is all you plan to do with a lathe, you may want to look at a Jet non-VS or even the PSI Turncrafter Pro.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 04, 2006 02:01PM

I'm VERY happy with the PSI Turncrafter Pro w/ext bed!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (71.2.30.---)
Date: October 04, 2006 06:08PM

I have a Jet Mini VS with extension bed and like it a lot. However, if I were a new buyer, I'd look seriously at the Rikon, based on previous reviews on RBO.

Stan

Posted by: Stan Gregory (71.2.30.---)
Date: October 04, 2006 06:10PM

Double post - sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2006 06:12PM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: Patrick Hoppe (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 09:17AM

I was woundering if any has looked at the lathes at woodenpost.com or does any have one? please email me if possable

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 05, 2006 10:35AM

That is the PSI Turncrafter Pro [www.pennstateind.com] If you get that one I would get the model that includes the extension bbed. It sure makes life easier and for drilling grips, it's indispensible! If you buy from PSI, it's cheaper with the extension bed included. Also, PSI carries all the lathe accessories (chucks, etc.) that you might want

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster