I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Rod - need advice
Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 30, 2006 04:29PM

I need some advice on a broken rod. See photos- Fred's Broken Rod 1 & 3. This is a Rainshadow SWS70L I built for a friend. After a fishing trip at the beach, Fred pulled his boat into a car wash (the type of car wash in which you use a spray wand). He washed down his boat, rods, equipment, etc. to remove salt & sand. Upon arrival at his home, he discovered the rod broken off about 1/4 of the way down from the tip. Fred thinks the rod may have hit something above in the car wash as he drove out but he's really not sure.

The fact that the break occurred just above the guide makes me a little suspicious as to what really may have caused the break. I'm wondering if my guide placement (done by the book) or thread tension or any one of a million other things may have contributed to this breakage.

I wanted to post pictures in case any of you breakage veterans might be able to help shed light on what may have happened.

The break is somewhat splintered so I'd really be greatful for advice on repair. I plan to rely heavily on notes I took during Ralph O'Quinn's rod repair seminar (Charlotte, 2005) but if anyone can contribute to my first major repair job, I be appreciative.

Pete Kornegay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Rod - need advice
Posted by: Rick Marsters (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 05:31PM

Hi Pete,
I am not a rod breakage veteran and I am sure you will get many replies from those that are. I just want to give you my opinion.
By viewing the pictures I do not feel that anything done by you in building this Rainshadow SWS70L caused the breakage.
The reason for this assumption is the path of the splinter pattern. It looks to me that someone may have accidentally stepped on the rod.
There are a few scuffs on the apoxy that tend to lead me to believe the rod rolled under pressure prior to breaking. That is just my own opinion.
Again, I am sure you will get a reply from some of the "Pro's" .

As far as repair, I found this infomation in the Library within this site. [www.rodbuilding.org]
I hope this information helps.

Good Health
Rick Marsters

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 05:41PM

Hi Pete! At least he did not tell you it just snapped when he set the hook! I hear that statement almost weekly. The only difference in repair and replace is one has one more letter and ends in an e. It will be an experience to fix the thing and probably will teach you a lot. Do you have any fiber glass pieces that will fit inside th blank. Put the top section between your thumb and forefinger and exert some pressure and roll it close to your ear. Listen carefully for a cracking or popping sound. If you hear something start cleanly cutting off the blank in short sections and repeating the test until you hear no noises. Or better still strip it down and order another blank.

Have a nice tomorrow!

Bill

Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 07:19PM

Pete, Whatever fulcrum caused this was probably close to the breakage and made that particular area of the blank a focal point for stress. Imagine holding the rod in both hands and using your knee as the fulcrum then pulling towards you with all your strength, not good. Alot of pressure concentrated instead of distributed throughout. I would not attempt any repair of this blank personally but if you do it would be a great experience for you to share with us. It was a nice build though.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 07:58PM

At least he was washing his rods!!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 10:06PM

I know you can repair this rod. There are several techniques for doing it. The question is, why not just strip off the guides, and use them to build a new one? You'll end up with a little more effort, but a rod I'd trust a whole lot more.

One of the things that happens when a rod breaks is that we all immediately run through a list of questions - how? Why? - etc. If the rod wasn't defective (or at least not definitively provably so), and your build wasn't questionable (i.e., never had one built like that to break before) and the customer even admits that he did something that may be suspect in analyzing what really did happen, then there's nothing to be done except to fix it or replace it. Unless it's a break within 6" of the tip I never volunteer to fix it - just refinish and replace the tip and tip-top, thus making a shorter (and stiffer) rod. ANd if he still wants a true replacement, so be it, but if he knows he broke the rod, even if it was an accident, I'll charge at least the cost of the replacement plus a small bit for the work, butof course nowhere near the original "retail" cost.

- just an idea
Uncle Russ

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 02, 2006 04:30AM

Pete,

Hate to admit it, but I agree with the above suggestion of just building a new rod. But, if you're sure you want to attempt the repair, follow Ralph's procedure to the letter. It will work, I've restored many old broken rods, for kids to use, using Ralph's techniques with no problems. So far!! YMMV Good Luck!!! Key here is make sure you use a lower modulace section for both the outer and inner sleeve, preferably fiberglass. Oh, and Amen Billy!!!!

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2006 04:32AM by William Bartlett.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster