I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread color match
Posted by: Phil Richmond (210.81.201.---)
Date: September 29, 2006 08:06AM

Would like to find a purple, preferably NCP or something I don't need to put color preserver on, that would be a close match to the purple Perfection reel seat I have. I'm in Japan, so no going downtown and checking out the Madeira displays... just figuring out what I need online.

Thanks.
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread color match
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: September 29, 2006 08:38AM

Nylon Gudebrod over Silver MEtallic, or over Purple metallic, or over Fuschia Metallic. No CP. Do samples and see which one matches teh best. Purple Anodizing comes in various shades, Purple Avet's are almost Pinkish, while over Purple is like a grape color.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2006 09:35AM

Agree with Billy's silver metallic. I do a lot of these. The purple metallic will not hold color even under nylon. That is probably the worst thead in the world for changing color. It really looks dooky after only a short time in the sun. If you want it to hold for a long time use Permaglos, Threadmaster or Swifty on top. Again do not use CP and the wrap will light up really nicely.

Jesse I hope you let this thread color question go by without throwing a shoe! When I visited Jesse in the hospital and took him some stuff to work with he woke up from a deep sleep, grabbed the Purple Metallic and threw it out the window!

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2006 11:41AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: September 29, 2006 01:03PM

Bill is right, purple metallic looks like pewter after about 3 weeks in the sun. I have found that Gudebrod NCP Purple is about the best. Jesse

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2006 03:16PM

Phil,

I think you're going to have to bite the bullet on the CP to get as close to that Perfection Purple as possible. Gudebrod 468 Nylon will get you pretty close. The NCP doesn't have the "depth" like your anodized seat does. The NCP is flat and not quite as dark as the Nylon under finish. I can't really speak for the colorfastness (is that a word?) of the Nylon VS the NCP in the sun, because I haven't got a large number of rods out there with it. I'll agree with Jesse in the 9468 Purple metallic. It only takes ONE rod to know that IT doesn't hold it's color!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2006 04:45PM

NCP Purple over silver + Threadmaster

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Regular nylon purple over silver

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have purple and gold nightmares - the way the LSU season is shaping up the torment may increase.

If the Saints keep on truckin I may have to enlist Jesse to help with the Black and Gold!

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2006 04:52PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (210.81.201.---)
Date: September 30, 2006 01:05AM

Actually, I like Bill's NCP purple over silver look more than the regular over silver. Pretty good. How did you wrap it over silver and still do the gold trim bands? It didn't appear to be raised higher than your gold trim bands?

Thanks guys.

Phil

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2006 09:06PM

Hi Phil:

We actually have some Japanese Purple Metallic thread.

Pete
ACK Fishing & Tackle

pmaltby@ackfishing.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster