I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil guides
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 27, 2006 02:40PM

Are Recoils made of titanium? If not, why are they charging almost $20 for a bent up piece of metal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil guides
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 03:44PM

Yes. Some kind of nickel titanium if I remember correctly. It has memory. Basically, they have the patent that started only about 2-3 years ago and no one else can make that product, plus no doubt the material cost more than regular titanium.

I believe that they are charging for what the market will bear based on the performance, uniqueness, and what the competitors are charging for titanium guides.

Mo

Date: September 27, 2006 03:49PM

So are they worth it?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2006 04:03PM

Scott,

The question is are they worth it to you? Better yet, can you acheive the look and performance
on the rod you are building useing a different (less expensive) guide set?

Cost vs. performance = ?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: September 27, 2006 04:19PM

Raymond,

As far as looks go, I think they are as ugly (if not uglier) as the NFG guides for offshore rods. As far as performance goes I have never used them so I was relying on the rod building gods to tell me. I understand how they increase performence based on their light weight, however, as far as friction it seems that SIC guides would be a lot better choice.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2006 04:49PM

Yes, ceramics are slicker and in most cases I would use the ceramics
over the Recoils. However, the Recoils do offer some advantages that
the ceramic do not. Mostly weight and durability (no rings to pop out)
and they will not currode. Titanium framed SiC's are expensive as well.

Some like the looks some don't.

After re-reading my previous post I can see that I implied that I think the
Recoils are better performing guides. Sometimes yes but mostly no.

Sorry

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2006 05:24PM

Scott,

The recoil guide frames and rings are composed of 100% nickel titanium alloy (shape and memory material). They are ultra light and damage resistant, and 100% saltwater resistant. Many people I sell them to, buy them because they are light, look unique, and are able to bounce back if they get bent, stepped on etc. for some reason. That doesn't mean you can't possibly damage them, it's just that if something does happen you'll have a much better chance of getting a Recoil guide back into the position it was in versus a standard guide.

We stock and sell Recoil guides. If you want some prices I'll be happy to provide our pricing on them. You don't have to get them off the REC website. Send me an e-mail or call toll free 866-285-0673 and I can explain in further detail.

Others may have a different opinion, but either way they are a good quality product along with just about anything REC makes.

pmaltby@ackfishing.com

ACK Fishing & Tackle
866-285-0673

Date: September 27, 2006 05:36PM

Scott, If you have only seen them in pictures, and would like to see one, hold it and check a Recoil guide out, send me an e-mail, or call me.

Pete
ACK Fishing & Tackle
pmaltby@ackfishing.com
866-285-0673

Posted by: Enoch Tay (---.cmri.usyd.edu.au)
Date: September 27, 2006 06:13PM

The advantages of these guides have been outlined above.

The major "disadvantage" has also been mentioned, they are not as smooth as ceramics, and if you are using braid or gelspun line, it makes a particular vibrating noise as the line passes over the guide, especially with any sort of tension. Only ever use them if you dont' expect the fish to be taking large amounts of line off your spool!

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2006 01:06AM

personall i like em. just put em on a 11/6 float rod i buillt and like the way the look, preform and the durability, Would I use again? not sure, id probally use sic titaniums on my next float rod, but they are def. the lightest guide ive used. ultimatly they would be great for using a the last 5 or 6 guides on a long tip heavy blank for me, using sics down low, but cant bring myself to use 3 differeny style guides on the same rod.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Bartosz Burski (---.multicon.pl)
Date: September 28, 2006 05:29AM

My friend built for me light casting rod (spiral wrapped) on SCIV 6' 8lb blank with Recoil guides. It`s great. Performance is top notch! They`re incredibely light. Try them!

Date: September 28, 2006 08:07AM

Thanks for the comments. Peter I'll give you a call later today or tommorow

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: September 28, 2006 10:16AM

I only build fly rods. I like the recoil guides, particularly near the top of a rod. and the tip tops are real light. the recoil fly rod guides are actually pretty darn cheap for what you get.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 02:17PM

Danny Ross,

The good news for you is that in the larger sizes (size 10 and up but I did not measure size 8), the Fuji TATSG are virtually the same weight as the REC RSPG spin guides! This fact has not been reported widely but is worthwhile to know. They avg about 5% of each other, but the TATSG's are taller so it evens out. If you have the budget for TATSGs, they are winners. The one advantage that the Recoils still have is its flexibility in case you want to pack really small in a small tube, or want durability if you are abusive of guides.

Hope this helps.

Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2006 02:18PM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 02:59PM

I don't know how common this is.....I was down at Angler's Workshop a few weeks ago and saw a factory rod tied with recoil guides. A couple of the guides looked "off" and I mentioned it to the guy from AW. He took the rod and showed us how you can't straighten the guides if they are bent at all. It appeared that a couple of theses guides should have been scrapped instead of being used. In the custom world, we can just pay attention and not use any of these that are not as straight as they should be. But it is something to keep in mind. It made this factory rod look pretty cheap when in fact it was otherwise a pretty nice rod.

Jeff Hunter

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 28, 2006 03:26PM

Jeff most have been looking at the Loomis spey and heavy fly rods in the front rack. The thread work wasn't much to look at either including the huge air pockets you could clearly see around the guide feet.

Date: September 28, 2006 03:30PM

Anytime Steve

Pete
866-285-0673

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 05:00PM

You're right on Spencer. I didn't want to trash the rods too badly. Seems to be pretty typical of the new Shiloomis.

Jeff Hunter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster