I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

burl cork ring moisture question
Posted by: Dave D'Ambrosio (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 21, 2006 01:34AM

I assembled and turned a cork grip with standard cork in the center and a checkerboard pattern of both standard cork and burl at each end of the grip. The next day the ends of this grip were now oval and "out of round" Did the burl take on moisture of some sort? The rest of the grip is round and without concern. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: burl cork ring moisture question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 21, 2006 08:57AM

I use a lot of burl without any problems. I doubt that it would absorb moisture as it' is just bonded cork particles. When you glued the wedges up, what was your procedure?
Possibly when you glued it up, it went out of round when clamping. That's easy to do.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2006 10:37AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: September 21, 2006 10:33AM

Sounds like you might have squashed the rings together a little too tight???

Date: September 21, 2006 10:47AM

Guys,

I may very well have squeezed too tight, but If I did, wouldn't the sanding process restore the shape to round?

Dave

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 21, 2006 11:10AM

Not exactly. If it is out of round and you hold sandpaper against it, it will be very smooth but still out of round as the paper will just follow the shape of the grip. On a lathe, it would turn concentic because the tool is held in the same position and will take more off one side if the object is out of round. Backing your sandpaper with a piece of wood and held in the same position (distance from the mandrel) will help, but you best bet would be to make sure they are round when you start. What I do is drill the ring out to 3/8" before I cut into wedges. I have a piece of 1x 4 wood with a 3" piece of 3/8" all thread rod sticking up from it and apply my adhesive to the wedges and arrange my pieces around it and use a cable tie to cinch it up and then just slide it off and set aside to dry. Keeps them round and works pretty good (for me). I usually pull a piece of ordinary wax paper down over the rod on to the wood to keep the glue off of the wood base. I also set my glued up rings on a sheet of wax paper to dry as the wax paper will pull right off.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2006 06:09PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2006 11:30AM

Mike offers the best explanation. I'd bet it was out of round when you finished turing it. The thing many don't understand about turning and shaping handles, is that you can't do it with sandpaper alone - you have to use a tool that will cut the cylinder in a concentric fashion, rather than just floating on top of the cylinder, which may already be somewhat oval in shape, or which may have rings with hard areas.

Instructions for grip shaping are in the book I did for Amato and also in a back issue of RodMaker. You need to use a round nose scraper to turn a true and concentric cylinder first, then follow that with the sanding operation.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: September 21, 2006 12:14PM

One thing you may want to look at in the future is try and dry fit the pieces before glue up and make sure there are no gaps in the joints. If the parts have gaps between or an odd angle in the pieces before glue up you can force them together with a clamp (tiestrap) but when the pressure is removed the parts will relax and can become oval. It's like gluing a board together if one board is warped and the other is not you can force the 2 halfs together but in the end both boards will have a slight warp. This may not be the problem but it's something to think about next time. Mark

Date: September 21, 2006 12:39PM

Mark,

Your explanation may just be the answer. I guess I should have explained that I did in fact follow Andy Dear's video instructions using a file and then sandpaper and I usually have had n trouble. It's piecing these cork ring sectons together that I need to work on and maybe need to try Mike's idea as mentioned above to get more clean, balanced sections that will glue up correctly.

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2006 02:12PM

A file will also "float" on any hard areas. You must actually cut the grip with a turning/cutting tool, in order to create a concentric cylinder.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: September 21, 2006 05:55PM

You have to use the file on a tool rest in order for it not to float. If you don't use a tool rest, it won't work correctly. In addiition the file has to be agressive enough to cut through the hard areas on burl like Tom mentions, if you're using a fine mill bastard file, it won't work as well as a rougher cut like on a 4 in 1 file.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: September 21, 2006 10:46PM

Andy,

I use the exact 4 in 1 file you use in your video with the tool rest and the rougher cut. I need to either cut away the end rings where it happened and redo or just try to again file it concentrically again.

Dave

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-216-41.myvzw.com)
Date: September 21, 2006 11:10PM

The other thing thta might be happening here is that you're pressing too hard and deforming the rings during turning. Let the file and the speed do the work...no need to press hard at all.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2006 11:29PM

Tom, I came to rod building from wood turning and woodworking. A round nose scraper works well (so does a skew chisel BTW) but the key is in using a tool rest. I rarely bother with the scraper anymore, I just use 36 or 60 grit sandpaper stapled to a small piece of wood and then use the tool rest to support it. You can also do fairly well by using a larger backing block and hold it askew of the handle. This way you are presenting a long surface to the cork and you minimize the oval effect.

Date: September 22, 2006 12:07AM

Here is the question. The cork was fine throughout with no deformities and then I sealed it with cork seal and the next day I had Ovals at the ends where the burl rings were which led me to believe that quite possibly the burl took the seal differently? or some type of moisture? It may be, as I stated earlier, that I squeezed the rings too tight. But would there not be a deformity after I sanded and not overnight? Sorry guys, I sound like a whiny kid. Bottom line.................DO IT AGAIN!

Dave

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: September 25, 2006 03:04PM

seems like if it was sanded to a oval shape that would have been apparant right after sanding. I have made 2 grips with Andy's burl cork and have another 3 dozen or so rings loose in a bag and scattered around in a couple of shop rooms and I have see no indication of a change in shape from moisture change.
Even if you use a file on a tool rest, you can oval the stock. Tom's suggestion of turning with a gouge is one way to help make it round. Works fine for me with the burl cork, but not very good with regular cork. Using a file or sandpaper with a backer it would be best to have a double support, the tool rest and some type of adjustable height support behind the stock too. Be a good place to have 2 banjo's and a spare tool rest. Basically the turning tool has to be rigid and also has to take light cuts as the out of round grip beats against it.
I do not seal my grips, so I don't know how cork reacts to the sealing.

One more thought. Did you turn the grip after it was glued to the rod, or did you turn it on a mandrel and then put it on the rod? If the latter, perhaps the shape change is related to inserting the rod shaft in some way. Like the hole in the grip was not round or something was caught, causing the grip to expand from the inside to a oval shape? Or just a tight fit and the cork was stronger in one direction than another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2006 03:07PM by Bill Moschler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster