I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Aftcote vs. Flexcoat
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 20, 2006 09:40AM

I don't mean to open a can of worms here, but I'm considering switching finishes and would like to know which one you think performs better. I currently use Flexcoat high build, but want to try the aftcote. I'd like to hear from builders that have used both Aftcote and Flexcoat, and which one they like better. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aftcote vs. Flexcoat
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2006 09:51AM

I've used both. Slightly different in set up and cure time, but both gave me nearly identical looking results. I think you'll find the Aftcote to have a little longer pot life, but other than that I don't think there's a tremendous amount to choose between them.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 10:26AM

Aftcoat is the better finish IMO between those two only.

The one thing I liked about the Aftcoat best was it's bubble release, NO need for heat ever and never had a bubble with it that didn't release. That was my reason for the Aftcoat over the Flexcoat.

I like the threadmaster the best of all!

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 03:26PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 10:31AM

Morning Bruce,
I have not used Aftcote. I used Flex Coat for about 25 years. I prefer the light over the high build. Recently I have used Threadmaster which I like over the Flex Coat Lite. It gives you ample working time and sets up faster. I can do two coats in one day and yellows less.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 10:34AM

Tom pretty much hit the nail on the head. Longer pot life & curing time on the Aftcote. You have to be careful storing the Aftcote as the hardener is VERY light sensitive. Prolonged exposure to fluorescent lighting will darken it considerably before mixing. It does level & release bubbles well. Great clarity on light colored wraps, provided you’ve stored it correctly and once mixed it doesn’t go “amber” even on white wraps.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 20, 2006 10:57AM

Bruce, you might want to consider giving Threadmaster a try. Awesome stuff!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nrflva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 11:05AM

Thanks guys! The reason that I asked was I recently saw some rods coated with Aftcote, and to me The finish looked clearer. I've read all the reviews about Threadmaster, etc. and I might consider it if it was sold in greater quantities. The FC and Aftcote are really close in price (Gal. size) and thats what really prompted me to ask. That, plus I can see yellowing on some of my rods after only limited exposure to sunlight. It still looks O.K. because it's turning yellow at the same rate......does the Aftcote yellow also?

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 11:12AM

Bruce,

That's what I was saying above about it not going "amber". That's just my term for "yellowing". My Step Son's had a rod with White underwraps that has probably spent the last two Summer's outside. He spends his Summer's on the Delaware River, fishes daily and doesn’t take care of his stuff. LOL The White is as White as the day it came off the dryer.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 11:14AM

Bruce,
Also, I use Aftcote all the time and as long as it's mixed properly it's very tolerent to external heat (flame, heat gun, etc.). My .02. Randy.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 11:14AM

They are all going to yellow. I personally don't think Aftcote yellows as fast as Flex and certainly not as fast as LS.

As far as 'getting two coats on in one day' you can do that with Aftcote also. All it takes is a higher room temperature. I recently built a planer rod that I assymbled AND applied FOUR coats of Aftcote all within a 24 hour period. Now I could have done that with ANY finish, but my point is that using Aftcote doesn't mean you have to way an extreme amount of time between coats.

Aftcote levels great (all finishes will level great if you give them a chance to do so) and releases bubbles beautifully. It also remains extremely flexible which is why I started using it.

I've had some Threadmaster for a while, but haven't opened the bottles as yet. I have a rod for my girlfriend coming up and might try out the TM on that.

Jay

Date: September 20, 2006 11:24AM

Thanks Mark, The finish on your rods always looks great!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: September 20, 2006 01:38PM

Bruce,
You said ' I've read all the reviews about Threadmaster, etc. and I might consider it if it was sold in greater quantities"

I am not sure I understand what you mean? From the feedback I am getting from the distributors we are outselling Aftcote and most all other brands of finish. We have ThreadMaster available in sizes up to gallon and 5 gallon if you need it that big as well. At the gallon size we are at least 10% -15% cheaper than Aftcote.
Aftcote hardener will turn brown even in the absence of light, because it''s not the light that turns it brown...it's the heat. I have had a kit of Aftcote that the hardener went very brown while stored in a completely dark cabinet in less than 4 months. If you're stuck choosing between FlexCoat and Aftcote, I'd choose FlexCoat anyday of the week, because the hardener stays clearer in an unmixed state a little longer, and when it does turn it's a pale yellow as opposed to the BROWN that Aftcote turns.....and it has a much shorter gel time than Aftcote does.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 20, 2006 02:20PM

Various part B's (L-R Aftcote, LS, Flexcoat, and ThreadMaster) all batches about 6 months old cabinet stored.

I like the one on the right for some reason.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 20, 2006 02:26PM

Not much doubt there, Mike!! The proof is in the puddin'

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: September 20, 2006 02:48PM

Andy, maybe I haven't come across the right site yet. The largest quantity I've seen advertised is the 12 oz. kit. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: September 20, 2006 02:55PM

I carry the gallon size here at my shop for sale, I don't know that any of my distriubutors have purchased the gallon size yet because it is not a high demand item like the 4oz, 8oz and 16oz kit are. I know Karen at Bingham has some 32oz kits......but the gallon size is here in stock at my shop and ready to ship.

Let me know if I can help.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: September 20, 2006 03:03PM

Duh ! Now I see it !!! I must admit I haven't visited your site in awhile. I guess I'll put my order in and see what all the excitement is about for myself. Thanks for your replies.

Bruce

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2006 03:17PM

One thing you can do with any finish, is to buy it in a small quantity and try it on a rod or two. They're all somewhat similar (they are all 100% solids epoxies) and yet they all have some small differences. Within a couple rods you're apt to know if it has the properties and handling style you're looking for.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 03:51PM

I use Aftcote and am very happy with it. I've got a bottle now that is a real good amber color. I mix up a batch, slap it on and it's clear as can be.

Here's an example [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 03:53PM by Steve Parks.

Date: September 20, 2006 04:13PM

Steve, you're killing me! Guess I'll buy some smaller quantities of both and see what I like the best.

P.S. Nice looking rod!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 04:14PM by Bruce Wetzel.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster