I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish on wood rod handles
Posted by: Eugene Rehberg (---.143.110.142.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 12:28AM

I am going to make some decorative wood rod handles for some muskie rods, and am wondering what the best finish would be for them, bearing in mind that the handles will be hung on to more than a spinning or fly rod, and I want something that won't wear off. How about Birchwood Casey tru oil? Any suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks Gene

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish on wood rod handles
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: September 19, 2006 06:07AM

If you do a search, you will find lots of responses to this question. But the most frequent answer is Tru Oil.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 07:20AM

You got it. Tru oil!

Ed Smith

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (206.8.175.---)
Date: September 19, 2006 09:01AM

Another option is to seal the wood with epoxy and sand it smooth down to at least 1000 grit. Then either polish it or top coat with tru oil. This gives a different lok than tru oil alone.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: September 19, 2006 09:12AM

If you want a hard durable surface impervious to just about anything except acetone, coat the entire grip with three coats of thin CA, sand with Micro Mesh to 12,000 and then buff with 0000 steel wool. This will give you an extremely hard satin finish.

I would not recommend sealing the wood with something like epoxy and then putting any kind of oil on it. In order for oil to do anything it must penetrate the wood and it can't penetrate anything like epoxy.

Date: September 19, 2006 09:30AM

I have applied tru oil over epoxy for over eight year and have used it on my own spinning rod seats and it holds up great. I use my main rod three times per week from may to september.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: September 19, 2006 10:02AM

Are you buffing the Tru Oil after it dries? And what's the reason for putting Tru Oil on top of plastic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2006 10:03AM by Gerry Rhoades.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 01:02PM

I have been using Flexcoat on wood butts for many years. It wears like iron and only needs to be recoated when it starts to look rough. Jesse

Date: September 19, 2006 01:37PM

Boat builders put spar or spar urethane on top of epoxy to protect it from UV especially on cedar canoes that are glassed. I don't care for the look and depth of an epoxy finish and I don't care for the look of Tru Oil on pourous wood like Butternut, so I seal the wood with epoxy and sand the epoxy smooth and thin and top coat with Tru Oil, which I believe is really a varnish. The Tru Oil has a golden glow that I like.

Date: September 19, 2006 01:41PM

Also if you don't care for the gloss of a tru oil finish Birchwood and Casey has a stock and sheen conditioner that will give you a softer finish when used over Tru Oil

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 19, 2006 02:53PM

JIm,

The tru oil can't penetrate through the epoxy. Tru oil is not a varnish it is an oil.

Eugene,

The best way to go IMO is to use stabilized wood....then you can finish it with whatever you want...or nothing at all.

Tru oil is very popular for unstabilized wood.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 05:36PM

I have worked with wenge on several handles, the wood is very porous and hard to get tru-oil to fill the grain in the wood. I use an epoxy designed for wood, sand and top with tru-oil. The finish is very hard and durable. I also think that tru-oil is blend of linseed and poly. it will harden on it's own without soaking into the wood. It works much better on porous wood to have a smooth surface to finish and the and the tru-oil will bring back the sheen after sanding. Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster