I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bug Inlay HOW TO ........
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lmdaca.adelphia.net)
Date: September 17, 2006 01:16AM

I just saw the post titled "Bug Inlay" and Bruce was not able to get a reply from me. I have been VERY busy and I apolgize for that. I try to respond to all emails in a timely fashion, but at times, like now, I am busy..............Sorry about that. Here are a few pointers in the form of an email I sent to Bruce

Bruce, sorry it took so long. Hope this helps.......

Hi Bruce.

The bug inlays are tough, but it can be done neatly.

First of all, the bug. Get a bug that is fairly fresh and use alcohol to preserve the fly or bug for the inlay. For me, I like to get the bug the day I do the inlay. That way, the bug is plyable and easy to work with and maintains its true color.

As for the material, buffallo horn and wood works best. It is really hard to see where the bug starts and starts in buffalo horn and wood. Ivory works, but light colored materials are harder to work with because they show imperfections.

For me, I like to rough out a handle and get it close to the shape and size I want it. I will have a wood or buffalo horn ring on the rod, usually 1 inch wide to 2 inches wide for bigger bugs like stonefly nymphs.

Using a dremel with a sanding barrel, I level out a spot on the rod in the horn or wood where I want to do the inlay. Sand this area smooth and flat.

Take the fly out of the alcohol and place him in the level spot (allow fly to dry). Take a straight piece of wood and stand it on edge. Span the level spot of the rod on the handle for the inaly and make sure there is ample room for epoxy above the fly.

Tack the fly down and pose him with permagloss or similiar epoxy product. Once the fly is in position, take molding clay and make a mold around the area to prevent epoxy from running out of the area.

Once the area is molded, then pour a small amount of epoxy (ls supreme is my favorite for this) and watch it closely for any bubbles. Dig out bubbles with a needle that usually appear from under the bug and flame it a time or two to get out all the bubbles. Once this dries, repeat it again until it is done. Once the epoxy is up level or above the handle, then allow it to dry for a minum of one week, perhaps two weeks.

Using a belt sander, shape the epoxy to match the handle shape and smooth it out to 1500 grit, feathering the epoxy to the surrounding materials.

Now you can do one of two things. Put a thin coat of bubble free epoxy over the area and let it dry for a week for a beautiful finish. OR, you could allow the eoxy to cure for 3 months and buff it to a satin finish. Both work well. In the photos on the web, the streamer with the red throat in the buffalo horn was buffed. the stonefy was coated to finish the inaly. Both work well and look good.

Hope this helps....
\
A few pointers.

Allow the specimen to dry for an hour before youn place in the epoxy.
Go slowly, a few bubbles will ruin the project.
Fresh specimens maintain their color and look really nice.

Good luck

Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bug Inlay HOW TO ........
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2006 11:38AM

Thanks for sharing this info.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: September 18, 2006 10:01AM

Man, I just love that bug inlay.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: September 21, 2006 07:45AM

Yes, thank you very much for sharing this. Not only are you an amazing and innovative craftsman, but a real unselfish guy for helping the rest of us understand the procedures. That photograph (link in Michael's post) combined with your post here are teaching at its best. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster