I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Red Fir grip
Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.61.103-200.ptr.llix.net)
Date: September 15, 2006 09:08PM

In case anyone is interested I posted a pic of a grip that I made from the bark of Red fir.

You can tell by looking at the filter in the background how much dust sanded off
as it was white.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red Fir grip
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2006 07:38AM

It looks good. Different for sure.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.78.118.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 16, 2006 08:49AM

Very sharp! I would have thought it would be too soft. Great look.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: September 16, 2006 09:06AM

It may not be as tough as cork but if it stands up to use there are many possibilities as I imagine the patterns and color will vary with the localities it grows in. This is an example of, "why didn't I think of that", for me. Cerainly glad Ron shared his work!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 16, 2006 09:22AM

That is wild looking grip. I have been looking at different barks for a while, ever since Annti posted the birch bark grip but never got past the looking at the bark stage.

How is the weight on something like that? I gotta imagine it is pretty darn light.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.61.103-200.ptr.llix.net)
Date: September 16, 2006 07:38PM

Guys ... thanks for all the kind words. I almost didn't post the pic because I'm not that much of a craftsman
and all I had was my razr phone to take pics with as the batteries in my fuji were dead.

Mike, it's not too soft. I expect it to be a lot tougher than I first realized. I have a casting rod I'm supossed to make for a friend and
as soon as I figure out what I need as far as hardware I want to make a split grip with this.

I'll be interested in seeing what kind of species of fir Stan has because he's in a much drier climate.

Scott, I haven't weighed it as I've not been home and it's still on the lathe with a coat of Tru-Oil drying. But it's pretty light. I was
going to make a spacer out of english walnut so it won't be too busy but I may just turn it out of bark.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 18, 2006 03:40PM

Ron,

Very nice.....will make a very unique rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster