I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

same guide size
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: September 15, 2006 12:21PM

I was reading the Cabelas IM7 query and have a question. I have snake guides for a fly rod I'm going to build (4wt.). If I wanted to change to singlefoot guides would I use the same size guides and number of guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: same guide size
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 15, 2006 02:03PM

H&H Snake Guide Sizes & Dimensions Chart. [-Cliff Hall.]
Snake Guide Sizes & Dimensions Chart: For Hopkins & Holloway, Double-Foot, Single-Wire, Open-Coil Spiral "SNAKE FLY" H&H LINE GUIDES.
Taken from the 2004-2005 Anglers Resource (AR) Product Catalog, Page 22. Anglers Resource (AR) is the distributor of FUJI Products in the USA.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Re: same guide size, slightly unconventional approach.
Posted by: Robert Hively (204.248.120.---)
Date: September 16, 2006 08:38AM

First, search this site for threads on topic.

Second, for what it is worth, if building a 4-wgt using singles:

Consider using 1 #8 single footer, (yes a single) for the stripper and 2 #7s and 6s to and including the TT. A wrapped TT will not loosen.

Using the standard of 1 guide for each foot, plus one, not counting the TT is a good start.

I built a 9 foot 4wgt for a friend last spring using a 3-guide butt set (standard spacing, but with added guide smack between the the two butt guides. Of course, the rod has two guides over length standard, but could easily have been built using one less guide along tip section.

In this case I used 2 #8 singles and went to a #7 and then 6s the rest of the way. If they were all 7s that would be fine also. Up to you. Tip weight (balance) is an issue with some blanks as are angling conditions. Cold weather (ice) tends to require a bit larger guide sets.

Double foot strippers are really not necessary, as I have learned over the years, save maybe, tand that is a big maby, big salt water fly rods.

Yesterday I finished (finally) a 9 foot 8-wgt (SC SCIV) and used three # 10s singles on butt-section and all 7s, including TT. It casts a mile, easily. Rod for friend who hunts muskies, but would be great steelhead/salmon rod for flies or chuck and duck fishing.

BTW, the added center guide extends casting distance (or makes it way easier to achieve typical casting distances).

And, finally, like anything, there are a number of ways to skin this cat, as you will find out reading the threads here.

Hive

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster