I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bug inlay
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:13AM

Can anyone suggest how I could do a bug inlay so it would be easily seen on the blank of a dark colored fly rod blank? I saw Terry Henson's bug inlays on handles and wonder if I could do the same thing on a fly rod blank. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bug inlay
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:16AM

Maybe paint the section of blank a lighter colour, or wrap with white NCP thread, and do the inlay over that.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:39AM

Bruce,
E-mail Terry, I'm sure he'd give you all the info/help that you'd need

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:53AM

Hi Mike! I tried to email him, but I think my message was bounced back. Perhaps he'll see this and email me.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 10:13AM

I could be wrong but I don't see how you could do it on a blank. I thing that you would have to have a cavity to lay it into.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: September 13, 2006 10:16AM

Keep in mind when you do an inlay, the entire surface of the inlayed item will have to be encapsulated. That is what handles or Hosels are used for these type of inlays. If you were to inlay it onto a blank, and the bug was 3mm thick - you'd have a ring of epoxy or resin 3mm thick around that portion of the blank which houses the inlay. If you put it right in front of the grip, as a hosel i can see this looking nice, anywhere else it will look like crap.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 02:40PM

I have a whole bunch of hozels made for fly rods with inlays in them, 3 Tarpon, 2 Sailfish, 1 Dime[2001],20 with tied flies. I can make just about anything you want if the object is small enough, Drop me an E Mail at JBRODS@EXIS.NET. Jesse

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: September 13, 2006 04:00PM

Jesse even made me a Hosel with s set of Blackfish teeth in it, which came out awesome. It's a whole lot easier to let him do it for you. HE even specialized in Bug Rods, lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster